PDA

View Full Version : Sturdy gun safes

WWDHD?
02-23-2011, 3:04 AM
I just bought a Sturdy Safe a few weeks ago. If anyone is interested I'd like to post my opinion on this safe.
Been looking around for a better safe than what I was using. I was tempted by the BigHorn sold through Costco but I wanted US made. Liberty's are very nice looking with great interiors but only 12 or 11ga construction unless you buy top of the line $3500+ models. 12ga is not to hard to cut open from the side or back. Was considering the Franklin series.
Found Sturdy safes. Not only US made, but CA made! Got the 32"x24" size. Made out of 7ga steel. Combo lock. External hinges so it opens beyond 90 deg. Weighs close to 700lbs. The door gap is so tight you can't shove a credit card in there much less a pry bar. Got the upgraded interior for $100 more. Semi-gloss med gray/black speked finnish is standard. some other colors optional.
Some might find this safe a bit crude if your used to a Fort Knox or high end Brownings. But this safe is exactly what I was looking for and within my budget (barely). It has a kinda Soviet era military vibe to it that I really like; way more function than form. I really feel that this is the most security I could get for my money.
So if your looking for a new safe for your guns and other treasures check them out.

MFortie
02-23-2011, 9:40 AM
I've had one for years and consider it one of the best safe values around. May not be shiny with automotive paint, but that's not why I bought it!

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2011, 9:50 AM
Great choice. Sturdy are good people.

wbrosha
02-23-2011, 4:29 PM
Do they ship and do you ming me asking the size and $$ paid for your safe? I'm in the market and have seriously been looking at the Yukon gold by browning only sold at sportsmans warehouse by the concerns I have with those yours seems to overcome.

BigFatGuy
02-23-2011, 5:40 PM
it's not relevant in the gun/safe/fire/thief/doj/kids sense, but I'd like to point out that, if you check out their youtube videos, the owner of Sturdy Safes has a talent for creating beautiful daughters, and we need to do our best to make sure he is able to support that ability financially.

WWDHD?
02-23-2011, 5:55 PM
The way I bought my Sturdy safe is a bit different than some. Sturdy charges about $250 or so to deliver. Thats just to your driveway, not inside your home. Costco is the same deal but sometimes for free. Liberty, by the way, will deliver INSIDE your home for about $275/local. Anyways, since I am less than 2 hours from fresno where they are made I decided to drive down there and buy in person. Didn't see much difference from dropped off in my driveway to unloading from the back of my F150. Saved the delivery cost plus around 2% cash discount. That put the cost of this safe just under $1500 OTD for a 32x24x60. I got the interior with a bit more shelf space (+$100) than rifle racks because I'm more into handguns. Worked out perfect.
I passed on the fire lining. That costs $650 + about 200lbs. Reason I did this was because the more I read about gun safes it looked like if the temp gets over 300 degrees inside your safe for more than a few minuets durring a fire your guns are probably ruined anyway. Besides, there is a firehouse 2 minuets from my house. I wanted theft security more than anything else. For things like photos or documents, etc... not already in my banks safe deposite box I'm going to get one of those little fireproof lock boxes and put that inside the safe.
My brother and myself wrestled this beast inside the house ourselfs. Only two steps into the house. Used a couple of pallets and a pallet jack. Also used 4 two foot long round wood pieces to roll the thing down the hallway and lots of big pieces of cardboard. Worked well. Next time I'll probably hire pros if I ever move to another house. lots of videos on youtube on moving safes by the way.
Happy to answer any questions about my Sturdy Safe purchase/experience.

WWDHD?
02-23-2011, 6:00 PM
BigFatGuy:

10-4 on the Sturdy Safe model on the company web site! She also works in the office.

Saym14
02-23-2011, 7:37 PM
where the pics?

WWDHD?
02-23-2011, 9:33 PM
Pics of what?
The safe or the model? Both on www.sturdysafe.com

Satex
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
but I'd like to point out that, if you check out their youtube videos, the owner of Sturdy Safes has a talent for creating beautiful daughters, and we need to do our best to make sure he is able to support that ability financially.

BTW, Alyssa is a member here. And yes, they do know how to use her talents in order to market to a bunch of !@#$ ;)

Do they ship and do you ming me asking the size and $$ paid for your safe?

Sturdy has all of their prices online.

WWDHD?
02-24-2011, 4:50 PM
Still amazed that sturdy Safes are still made in CA! With so many companies leaving this screwed up state for places friendlier to business like Texas or Arizona I was happy to buy from some very nice people who make a very high quality product.

TopSecretSailor
02-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Was stationed at the base in Lemoore, CA working on F/A-18s. I managed a program that demanded security. I had 3 different combinations to remember that changed every month. I was quite familiar to working with safes.

8 years after I got out of the military someone tried to break into my house. They never made it in but I didn't feel any less compromised. I felt so vulnerable with guns hiding in the closet and under my bed. Since then I started to look for the security like what I was in charge of in the military. All I could find is "Filing Cabinets" with combo dials.

Then I ventured into hunting deer. Again I took my guns from my hiding hole hitting the scopes nearly every time. I also now had a bow worth more than most guns. It was time to get serious. I was tired of boresighting my guns every time I took them out of hiding, and tired of worrying every time I went out of town on a hunting trip about the guns I left behind.

I looked at Patriot safes really hard and was still seeing the same safe with a different paint job. I had a "Stack-On" on order because a buddy talked me into it. I cancelled the order and looked some more. Sturdy Safe remained the leader in the race to put a safe in my basement. Terry talked to me on the phone and we discussed a few details and some prices. I was really happy with the quote and finally ordered the 3627-6. Got the fireproofing also to add to the weight totaling 1,100#.

I was very happy with the arrival. I had to help the locksmiths with their stairclimber get it down in my basement (Brace staircase, remove door of safe, and break some brick on a bar I have).

I ran my fingers in nearly every crevice of this safe. It brought back a lot of memories of what I expected a safe to be. It was heavy,and It broadcasted, "If you don't have the combo you better pack a lunch!" I was very glad I didn't settle for a Patriot safe or the "Stack-On".

BigFatGuy
02-25-2011, 11:05 PM
BTW, Alyssa is a member here.

Other then looking like a delirious, drooling fanboy, I don't think I've said anything inappropriate about the young lady. ;-)

anyracoon
02-26-2011, 6:40 AM
I bought a Sturdy safe as a Garage over flow safe through a group buy done here on CalGuns a couple of years back. Picked it up in person at Sturdy, they even set my combo with the numbers I gave them. The only problem I had was I did not get a big enough one!

THT
02-26-2011, 7:45 AM
I bought one awhile back for use as an 01/03 and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Terry. He knew it would be used to house commercial guns and NFA items yet he talked me out of two ugprades as they'd be overkill. I liked the fact that there are tons of Youtube videos of Terry and his employees abusing the bejesus out of their safes and showing how tough they really are. At any rate, I ordered one and couldn't be happier. It's big, heavy, and fireproof. It is the last line of defense in a multi-layer security strategy and I am confident that it will not disappoint me should someone be foolish enough to try to breach it.

WWDHD?
02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
BigFatGuy, I don't think anything inappropriate was said by you or anyone else here. Just in case, lets step away from the edge and get back to the gun safe subject.

TopSecretSailor, thats high praise from someone who is used to using the best safes our tax dollars can buy.

Lots of good safes out there. Any locked container is still better than nothing. It would really bother me to no end if any of my weaponry got stolen and was used by some criminal.