PDA

View Full Version : Ok lets discuss rail system for dummies!

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 1:05 AM
Ok forgive me, I'm a girl and Ive been researching but haven't found a direct answer for this so im just gonna ask.....

Ive seen pictures with peoples rail systems where they have like a mini flash light and laser and whatever other junk they got mounted left or right or the barrel... So what exactly is this mounting/rail system? Is it a permanent fixture on the barrel and you just order it with rails on it? Or is there like a seperate "rail system" that you buy and attach seperately. I see most have the standard rail for a scope and stuff..... but what about the rest on the barrel.

And what is your recomendation for a good setup? I would like at min a flashlight.

Thanks :) Sorry if my questions sound stupid just a girl with no man around to answer my questions, learning as I go.

SixPointEight
02-23-2011, 1:07 AM
On the AR15 rifles? It can be a floating tube with rails on it which screws on to the receiver, or it can be a two piece rail, that goes on the same way they plastic handguards do, except it's made of metal and has some nifty rails on it.

i1800collect
02-23-2011, 1:15 AM
What you're asking about is called a handguard. No, they are not permanent fixtures on a barrel. Their main purpose is to provide a place to grip the weapon forward of the receiver as the barrel gets rather hot when shot from. There are handguards with no rails, handguards with optional mountable rail panels, and quad-rails (rails on the left, right, top, and bottom)..there are probably other configurations too, but those are the most common.

pacrimguru
02-23-2011, 1:16 AM
on an ar15, the railed handguard is a component that attaches to the upper receiver, not the barrel. likewise, barrels are attached to the upper receiver as well. in most cases, rails are not permanent and can be swapped out. rails attach to the upper receiver and some "float" around the barrel (called "free floating" rails) while some actually touch the barrel at one of their mounting points (those are "non-free floating"). railed handguards are used to mount accessories such as lights, lasers, iron sights, fore grips, etc.

760knox
02-23-2011, 1:20 AM
Ive seen pictures with peoples rail systems where they have like a mini flash light and laser and whatever other junk they got mounted left or right or the barrel...

LOL you forgot microwave, stereo, mirrors (to see behind you), cell phone, knife, and much much more junk!

Anchors
02-23-2011, 1:22 AM
Also, some rails can be attached on to the standard (round, smooth plastic) hand guards.
I have a rail piece on the bottom of my normal hand guard with a vertical grip attached to it.
If you only want one thing on there, you really don't need a whole rail system on all four sides and they are pricey.
My little piece of rail was $20, a nice rail system can go for 10x that.

760knox
02-23-2011, 1:35 AM
Also, some rails can be attached on to the standard (round, smooth plastic) hand guards.
I have a rail piece on the bottom of my normal hand guard with a vertical grip attached to it.
If you only want one thing on there, you really don't need a whole rail system on all four sides and they are pricey.
My little piece of rail was $20, a nice rail system can go for 10x that.

Thats the one with the gas block right? I have one on mine they work great! +1

Anchors
02-23-2011, 1:44 AM
Thats the one with the gas block right? I have one on mine they work great! +1

Nah, I have one that attaches through the holes in the standard AR hand guard. You can put it on the top or bottom.

760knox
02-23-2011, 1:45 AM
10-4

voiceoftheright
02-23-2011, 2:36 AM
Easy fellas! Probably some dude in Folsom State messing with you all. We all know a very basic search would answer this question in about 5 seconds or even looking at a Brownell's or Midway description.

Warhawk014
02-23-2011, 2:45 AM
Ok forgive me, I'm a girl and Ive been researching but haven't found a direct answer for this so im just gonna ask.....

Ive seen pictures with peoples rail systems where they have like a mini flash light and laser and whatever other junk they got mounted left or right or the barrel... So what exactly is this mounting/rail system? Is it a permanent fixture on the barrel and you just order it with rails on it? Or is there like a seperate "rail system" that you buy and attach seperately. I see most have the standard rail for a scope and stuff..... but what about the rest on the barrel.

And what is your recomendation for a good setup? I would like at min a flashlight.

Thanks :) Sorry if my questions sound stupid just a girl with no man around to answer my questions, learning as I go.

post pics or i call bs:p

Tweak338
02-23-2011, 3:05 AM
Leg humpers..

There are two types of railed hand guards.
- Free-floating: It screws onto the upper receiver and "floats"
-Two piece: Attaches the same way plastic hand guards do.

Then there is handguards like the Magpul MOE or standard plastic ones where you can attach rail sections to it. This would be the cheapest way if you don't have funds for the other two options above.

MrPlink
02-23-2011, 3:21 AM
I would like at min a flashlight.

flash lights are important to have in CA, if you are shooting in the dark and you drop your tool for the bullet button how else are you going to find it? :p

well, since nobody seems to have mentioned it yet, and if you ask what rails are for Im guessing you dont know yet :

free float railed handguards (freefloat in general) are typically a bit more expensive, and may require a minor bit of gun smithing to attach. The benefit they offer is when holding said hand guard (or a grip attached to the hand guard) you will not add any pressure or mass to the barrel, which can in turn shift the point of impact of your shots.

None floating handguards "drop" right in. If you are going for more of a close quarters thing, and dont need to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of your gun, they can be an adequate choice.

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
No im serious I wasn't joking, I didn't understand exactly how it worked. ANNNND being a girl I wasn't sure if it was something I could undertake by myself. So I needed to know if I should go with a rail system already attached to the barrel/upper or if I could attach myself.

Now my next question is, are most rail system generic, like mix and match between brands or is each rail system specific to its brand, and the attachment needs to be of like brand...?

Kk... i'll play. No tac'd out cammo pix or anything quite yet but here's me... just learning.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/fdsafdsafdsafsda.jpg

DDRH
02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1-Daniel-Defense-Lite-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review

check out this link. other rails may mount differently, but it'll give you an idea.

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
& yes MrPlink my AR will be setup primarily for home defense :) Close quarter.

n2k
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Here is a video for you:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10341/GunTechdetail/Installing_A_Two_Piece_Four_Rail_Handguard

Why do I have a feeling this is going to turn into an epic thread.....where is Neil?

mqd123
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I didn't read this whole thread, so if this has already been asked and answered forgive me, but what weapon system are you working on to get this rail on? If you let us know we might be able to suggest something specifically tailored to your needs and wants... for your gun that is :D

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
No im serious I wasn't joking, I didn't understand exactly how it worked. ANNNND being a girl I wasn't sure if it was something I could undertake by myself. So I needed to know if I should go with a rail system already attached to the barrel/upper or if I could attach myself.

Now my next question is, are most rail system generic, like mix and match between brands or is each rail system specific to its brand, and the attachment needs to be of like brand...?

Kk... i'll play. No tac'd out cammo pix or anything quite yet but here's me... just learning.

Rail systems, the ones you are talking about are usually either one piece or two piece (upper/lower halves) that mount to each other. So yes, no mixing and matching.

Here are some brands to look into:
Knights Armament Co.
Larue Tactical
Daniel Defense

Troy Industries
Midwest Industires

The ones that cost more are usually lighter.

OT: Sooo shouldn't have posted your pic. Let the leg humping begin!

DDRH
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM

each rail system is specific to it's brand, however as far as accessories to add onto the rail, 1913/picatinny, should all fit (ie. vertical grip), make sure your accessories will mount to 1913/picatinny rail. attachments don't need to be specific brand, just 1913/picatinny compatible.

hope this answers your question

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 12:14 PM

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/052810192400.jpg

Brb.

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
BTW if money is an issue you could get a set up like this

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh235/LoneWolfUSMC/M4/100_4938.jpg

It's a Magpul MOE handguard with a Magpul Light Kit installed. It is made of plastic but is probably very durable as Magpul makes good stuff.

The light kit doesn't come with a light, just the parts necessary to mount a light.

OutlawDon
02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
What is your budget for a rail and what length are you considering?

If on a budget, look at the Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill rails for about $150, or even plastic hanguards for about $40. Of course, there are rail double that price at $300+ such as Daniel Defense and Larue, but at this stage, just go with something affordable.

No need to put too much hurt on the wallet. Just have fun!

Welcome and watch out for the leg-humpers. Arf arf!! Off!!

Coded-Dude
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
what all are you planning on mounting and what(if anything) do you currently have mounted?

Etihtsarom
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
God you guys.
Edit: brb

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

If on a budget, look at the Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill rails for about $150, or even plastic hanguards for about $40. Of course, there are rail double that price at $300+ such as Daniel Defense and Larue, but at this stage, just go with something affordable.

I would also add Troy to the inexpensive list. Inexpensive, but very nice.

21SF
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
ill help you, wink wink. Lmao

nrakid88
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Oh DAMN. A hot girl that likes guns.

I'll be another of those guys that advocates what he owns... TRX EXTREME, its the lightest free float fore arm on the market that has rail capabiities. It has the rail all the way along the top, and the tube is smooth so its not uncomfortable to hold, you can just add rail sections where ever you want to add accessories, for example I added rails on the bottom for an afg, and on the side for a TLR weapons light.

Free floating rails will also improve your rifles accuracy.

slick_711
02-23-2011, 1:14 PM
I give this thread 0 points.

civilsnake
02-23-2011, 1:15 PM
I could be wrong, but reading your posts it sounds like you don't already have the rifle (or upper half). If that's the case, it would be much easier to simply order an upper half or buy a complete rifle that already has the rail system attached.

To answer some of your questions more directly:

Each rail system mounts to the gun in its own specific way, but the part that it mounts to (the upper receiver) is universal at this point. So as long as you have a standard, off the shelf AR-15 type upper receiver, almost any rail can be mounted to it.

But your options will be limited by a certain number of factors, such as your gas block or front sight base, barrel length, etc.

If you give some details about what exactly you have, we can probably advise pretty well. If you're still looking to purchase, we can help with that, too.

PS. Don't ever type that you're JUST a girl. Girls are awesome.

siliconphreak
02-23-2011, 1:22 PM
Really there are a lot if options for a railed handguard. Usually it comes down to budget, functionality, or looks. Figuring out which of these is most important will narrow down the field if options. I myself recommend a magpul moe for function and cheap. If you have money to burn get a Daniel defense. Btw cheap means inexpensive not bottom of the barrel pos. This thread would probably we worse in OT with all the leg humpers there.

tacticalcity
02-23-2011, 1:27 PM

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/052810192400.jpg

Well you just made a boat load of friends. A pretty girl who likes firearms is every guy's fantasy! ;)

mif_slim
02-23-2011, 1:27 PM
Brb.

You sir are sick! :P

jk.

Watch everyone wants to help now. haha

Recession
02-23-2011, 1:40 PM
Whenever you're ready to take on the project, if you live close by, I can lend you all the necessary tools you'll need to install it. ;)

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 1:44 PM
You sir are sick! :P

jk.

What? I had to grab lunch!

Edit: Here's a vid that might give you a better idea of how a railed handguard is attached. This is just one type, and there are many different tyoes and ways to attach them. But it should give you an idea of what goes into it.

http://www.laruetactical.us/pics/handguard_video_0001.wmv

dmendoza1779
02-23-2011, 1:51 PM
LOL! Is that what you call it now? smh...:cool:

Edit: Here's a vid that might give you a better idea of how a railed handguard is attached. This is just one type, and there are many different tyoes and ways to attach them. But it should give you an idea of what goes into it.

mif_slim
02-23-2011, 1:54 PM

LOL! Is that what you call it now? smh...:cool:

Both these cracked me up pretty hard my co-worker looked at me strange. LOL!

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 2:10 PM
Get your minds out of the gutter =|

IPSICK
02-23-2011, 2:13 PM
And we wonder why there seems to be a dearth of women in our hobby.

Anyways, great questions SarahKC1987. As far as the rail system I selected, I went with the JP Enterprises free-float handguard which allows me to add accessories at almost whatever angle I choose around the handguard and add rails of whatever length. With the JP, I get to have a handguard that is not covered in rails. The Magpul MOE looks like a good inexpensive option as well.

As for what to put on, a light and a forward grip are good starts. For the light you may want to be able to quick detach it when you don't need it. Also some people like to add an attachment point for their slings on the rails also. Anymore than this, and you're quickly entering mall ninja territory.

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 2:16 PM

Anyways, great questions SarahKC1987. As far as the rail system I selected, I went with the JP Enterprises free-float handguard which allows me to add accessories at almost whatever angle I choose around the handguard and add rails of whatever length. With the JP, I get to have a handguard that is not covered in rails. The Magpul MOE looks like a good inexpensive option as well.

As for what to put on, a light and a forward grip are good starts. For the light you may want to be able to quick detach it when you don't need it. Also some people like to add an attachment point for their slings on the rails also. Anymore than this, and you're quickly entering mall ninja territory.

Wait, so does my iPhone rail attachment make me a mall ninja? :D

HK Dave
02-23-2011, 2:18 PM
Wow... burly man like me posts a question and i get 2 responses in 2 days... girl posts pictures of herself and we have 2 pages of responses in 2 minutes. -_-;

IPSICK
02-23-2011, 2:22 PM
Wait, so does my iPhone rail attachment make me a mall ninja? :D

No way, you need that to help determine all your friend or foe locations at the Walmart.

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 2:24 PM
Wow... burly man like me posts a question and i get 2 responses in 2 days... girl posts pictures of herself and we have 2 pages of responses in 2 minutes. -_-;

Welcome to the intraweb. :D

No way, you need that to help determine all your friend or foe locations at the Walmart.

Ok cool. I just spent a bunch of money making my rifle look like one an operator would use. Don't want to be label a mall ninja. haha

Reductio
02-23-2011, 2:25 PM

Interwebs, Dave. Dave, Intetewebs... good to introduce you.... :p

17+1
02-23-2011, 2:27 PM

Geez I know...the keyboard humping started up pretty quickly...:(

SarahKC1987, I'd say to get together with local shooters that are into that tactical stuff but you'd probably get attacked...especially if you're new and female...the best way to learn about AR-15 rails or guns in general is actually being around and working on them with people that are knowledgeable. It's skill and knowledge you should be after as a new shooter, not fancy stuff to hang off your gun.

Reductio
02-23-2011, 2:29 PM
As for the OP's question...

I love my Magpul MOE, it's the way to go for saving weight and still looking good. Get a specific flashlight mount, or get a Fenix TK11 or TK12 light and just get 1" scope rings. Done.

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 2:37 PM
Geez I know...the keyboard humping started up pretty quickly...:(

SarahKC1987, I'd say to get together with local shooters that are into that tactical stuff but you'd probably get attacked...especially if you're new and female...the best way to learn about AR-15 rails or guns in general is actually being around and working on them with people that are knowledgeable. It's skill and knowledge you should be after as a new shooter, not fancy stuff to hang off your gun.

Well there's a ringing endorsement.

Coded-Dude
02-23-2011, 2:39 PM
for some reason the reaction to this thread reminds me a bit of this scene.....

-DYaMmjTd2o

L4D
02-23-2011, 2:41 PM
or you guys could be getting trolled.

MrPlink
02-23-2011, 2:48 PM
Calguns turns into 4chan

L4D
02-23-2011, 2:49 PM
Calguns turns into 4chan

hey whats the girl in your avatar doing with her left hand?

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 2:55 PM
or you guys could be getting trolled.

Good way to get lots of quick responses if you're in a hurry.

If you need information quickly on the internet, just pretend to be a girl.

Reductio
02-23-2011, 2:56 PM
Calguns turns into 4chan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/2851814771_38b1ff5e57.jpg

:D

21SF
02-23-2011, 2:57 PM
What do you expect half the forum are old men....lol...

L4D
02-23-2011, 3:00 PM

yup have to look at it from all angles.

If it was some dooood asking this question I could just imaging all the "post less, read more" "you trying to be a mall ninja?" "grow a pair and use a regular handguard" you know stuff like that......

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 3:42 PM
Well I do have my lower already I bought a CMMG MOD4SA from my local shop so they have it in lockup for 9 more days, but I am open to suggetions for uppers. I was thinking stick with CMMG since they seem to have pretty good reviews from some of the older threads I was reading here.

I haven't decided what type of rail system I want to use, now that I know how they work. I want something clean looking that doesn't looks like this.
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/tacticoolAR15.jpg

HA HA. Overkill much? I think I want to stick with a Government/LE type look.

IPSICK
02-23-2011, 3:52 PM
Hey you found a pic of my exact setup. Except it's missing the iPhone, camera, and BFG accessory...

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 3:59 PM
stick with cmmg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/036-1.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/038-1.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/DSC_0259-1.jpg

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 4:02 PM
What's with the third pic?

Coded-Dude
02-23-2011, 4:04 PM
he's just excited about his new camera and showing off his image editing prowess.....nothing to see here, move along.

MrPlink
02-23-2011, 4:04 PM
Seriously, if all you want is a flash light, I would look at other solutions than a quad rail.

The magpul MOE (as suggested) is a great choice. Its cheap, light and tough. Still allows you to mount a light or foregrip.

You may also want to consider a rail that clamps on to your front sight, which is an adequate place to mount a light.

Outside of looks, or the already mentioned benefit of a free float rail, where is your money going if all you want to do is mount a laser?
And one thing I can't emphasize enough is weight!

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 4:10 PM
Seriously, if all you want is a flash light, I would look at other solutions than a quad rail.

The magpul MOE (as suggested) is a great choice. Its cheap, light and tough. Still allows you to mount a light or foregrip.

You may also want to consider a rail that clamps on to your front sight, which is an adequate place to mount a light.

Outside of looks, or the already mentioned benefit of a free float rail, where is your money going if all you want to do is mount a laser?
And one thing I can't emphasize enough is weight!

meh
go with a quadrail then you look cooler everyone knows half the battle is looking cool
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/DSC_0259-1.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 4:10 PM
he's just excited about his new camera and showing off his image editing prowess.....nothing to see here, move along.

yes yes i am :D

emptybottle151
02-23-2011, 4:18 PM

Well your in the right place, learning about rails and hooking a man in one stop. lol jk btw most guys here are old but Im your age:D

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 4:22 PM
I have a rail with nothing on it. I just think it looks cool.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/IMG_2719.jpg

Let me post that pic for you again :D

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 4:24 PM

got to look cool :cool2:

docsmileyface
02-23-2011, 4:25 PM
If you are looking for a government look, try finding a surplus KAC M4 RAS unit in the classifieds here or on ar15.com - you can find them for around $150 and its the same rails used by the military.

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 4:26 PM
got to look cool :cool2:

Is there anything more to life? I don't think so.

drewg13
02-23-2011, 5:16 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4339277333_649540b11a_b.jpg

I've got a CMMG as well. I have the DD Omega rail on mine and really like it. It's very easy to install. Just remove the plastic handguards and attach the rail. Can be removed just as quickly. It is also a true free float. The only down side may be cost. See this link for install instructions.

Welcome to CGN.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?65-Daniel-Defense-OMEGA-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review

Noah3683
02-23-2011, 5:45 PM
Troy MRF rail. High quality, but middle of the road price and simple install. Even for a beautiful girl ;)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/STH72385.jpg

Wherryj
02-23-2011, 5:45 PM
If you only want a flashlight, you might want to try one of the front site rails.

I didn't want to remove my CAR handguards after reading that there would probably be more weight and less insulation from heat by installing a rail, so I went with a Midwest Industries front site dual rail.

It will allow you to install a light and another small accessory without adding too much weight. I can't find a link to the one that I picked up, but here's one that is similar.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49573-7.html

arsilva32
02-23-2011, 5:58 PM
LOL you forgot microwave, stereo, mirrors (to see behind you), cell phone, knife, and much much more junk!

those are commonly known as mall ninja rail systems lol

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 6:25 PM
You guys kill me. I am who I say I am.... maybe later I'll give you a sign/fan pic or something :)

I like the look of the quad rail system with nothing on it, lol. So lets see, I'd like a flashlight for sure. But also I'd like the option to put on a laser sight, and anything else that comes to mind.

Im not new to shooting by any means, Ive grown up around guns and hunting/camping my entire life. Im just new to building AR's at my house. :) Thats why I have so many "tactical" questions......

I AM married, with a 4 year old girl :) Husband is into shooting to, just not as much as I. I had to explain the bullet button to HIM! lol.

Sikhawk
02-23-2011, 6:28 PM
dammit...

Ak707
02-23-2011, 6:29 PM
Haha you can tell who hasn't been laid in awhile in this thread...

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 6:40 PM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/calguns.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/calguns2.jpg

Girls like guns too!!

Notice my ammo holding up my monitor in the bottom pic...

77bawls
02-23-2011, 6:41 PM
There's VTAC too.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/handguard.html

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 6:42 PM
dammit...

:rofl2:

Mr.Caketown
02-23-2011, 6:46 PM
Oh DAMN. A hot girl that likes guns.

WIN!

ps

Daniels Defense or Samson rails

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 6:47 PM
I stopped breaking my crayons when I was in highschool:rolleyes:

SarahKC1987
Opinions on the CMMG complete uppers? :)

SarahKC1987
I stopped breaking my crayons when I was in highschool:rolleyes:

That would be my 4 year old :) The other half is probably in her belly.

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 6:50 PM

they rock

OutlawDon
02-23-2011, 6:53 PM
There's VTAC too.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/handguard.html

I just ordered that one.

Round handguards with rails will be the new phase. Ditching my 12 inch quad rail. This is more comfortable and you only add rails where it needs to be, and nowhere it doesn't.

If you see most of the new AR based platforms (Larue OBR, Remington MSR, VTAC, etc) a lot of them are using the round handguard with attachable rails now.

evidens83
02-23-2011, 6:53 PM

Its official you really are a girl :D Now the leg humping will really begin. Be prepared for the hundreds of kind, thorough, quick responses you will receive ;)
OP do you really need a rail system? If a flashlight is all you're planning to mount why not use this (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=333)? Just keep it simple IMHO..

Write Winger
02-23-2011, 6:56 PM
I actually have to applaud is guys on here for our reaction to "the new girl"; could have been SOOOOO much worse.

With my first build, I bought a Stag Arms 2H upper receiver. It had the plastic smooth foregrip, but I went onto "cheaperthandirt.com" and found a quad rail by UTC for $50 that comes with rail covers to protect the rail and your hand, great deal and there's a video that shows how easy it is to install (and you dont need a vice like they show in the video).

If you truly want to see how we really act when the discussion of hot girls comes up, read the "off topic" threads or "girlfriends with rifles" under rifle gallery... and remember names :D

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 6:59 PM
Its official you really are a girl :D Now the leg humping will really begin. Be prepared for the hundreds of kind, thorough, quick responses you will receive ;)
OP do you really need a rail system? If a flashlight is all you're planning to mount why not use this (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=333)? Just keep it simple IMHO..

I don't know, man. She's already broken a lot of hearts with the whole married thing.

Also look at the Elzetta flashlight mount (http://www.elzetta.com/zfh1500FAQ.htm). That one looks pretty sweet.

evidens83
02-23-2011, 7:02 PM
Would be nice if some other female Cal Gunner could post a pic like that to prove that she's really a she...

ulv
02-23-2011, 7:07 PM
So If I post a picture of my long blonde hair will I get such enthusiastic help with my gun questions? Oh but maybe the long beard would be a game changer ;)

emptybottle151
02-23-2011, 7:09 PM
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/emptybottle151/calguns2-1.jpg

Write Winger
02-23-2011, 7:12 PM
Sorry, UTG, item# ARR-238.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=ARR-238

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 7:21 PM
Ive browsed around the site & im also a big girl :) So don't be surprised if I get a little off topic now and then too... :)

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 7:28 PM
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/emptybottle151/calguns2-1.jpg

lol

$P-Ritch$
02-23-2011, 7:30 PM
My vote goes to the MOE handguard. My first two builds have rails on them because I thought they would be cool. All I have on them is a handstop and rail covers. Since I am not into hanging junk off my AR my newest build will sport MOE handguards with the illumination kit for a flashlight. I can already tell it's going to be close to a pound lighter.

Hump0311
02-23-2011, 7:30 PM
really??

If I would have asked this question I would have been eaten alive.

What a bunch of casanova's.

$P-Ritch$
02-23-2011, 7:32 PM
really??

It is what it is. Maybe if you have an important question you can PM it to her and have her start the thread so you can get actual answers. :p

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 7:34 PM
It is what it is. Maybe if you have an important question you can PM it to her and have her start the thread so you can get actual answers. :p

lol i wonder if she could get away with calling magazines clips too :D

Tweak338
02-23-2011, 7:34 PM
Would be nice if some other female Cal Gunner could post a pic like that to prove that she's really a she...

you mean 2cute2shoot?? or OHOD?

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 7:36 PM
really??

Don't sell yourself short, man. Try posting a pic or two(or three or four) of yourself.

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 7:38 PM
You guys are funny! So what is the best thing to cure the hunger of the 10 day wait?

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 7:38 PM
Is this a CMMG upper as well?

stick with cmmg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/036-1.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/038-1.jpg

Reductio
02-23-2011, 7:42 PM
You guys are funny! So what is the best thing to cure the hunger of the 10 day wait?

1. Watch youtube clips of any gun similar to the one in jail.

2. Buy ammo and accessories. :D

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 7:44 PM

Just sleep as much as possible to make the days go by faster. If that doesn't work, just put a cool pic of your future gun on your computer desktop and stare at it a lot.

Write Winger
02-23-2011, 7:45 PM
^^^^This. Nothing but gun porn for 10 straight days.

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 7:46 PM
1. Watch youtube clips of any gun similar to the one in jail.

2. Buy ammo and accessories. :D

Check & Check.... LOVE youtube!

Just sleep as much as possible to make the days go by faster. If that doesn't work, just put a cool pic of your future gun on your computer desktop and stare at it a lot.

Ha try sleeping with a 4 year old..... Check and Check!

docsmileyface
02-23-2011, 7:51 PM
If you want a light for your rifle, look into the Surefire G2 - you can get them for like $30 and a VTAC light mount for it for like $20. Just get an LED head and your set. Its light and pretty much bomb proof for plastic as well as pretty economic.

AeroEngi
02-23-2011, 7:51 PM
I didn't know so much could be said about handguards :rolleyes:

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 7:55 PM
If you want a light for your rifle, look into the Surefire G2 - you can get them for like $30 and a VTAC light mount for it for like $20. Just get an LED head and your set. Its light and pretty much bomb proof for plastic as well as pretty economic.

Thanks, surefire is a good brand of lights in my opinion. That and streamlight but its been awhile since Ive bought a flashlight.

Reductio
02-23-2011, 7:57 PM

IMVHO, more better:

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-TK11-Flashlight-Black-Aluminum/dp/B001C3XFQK

760knox
02-23-2011, 7:58 PM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/ChevySilverado05/calguns2.jpg

Girls like guns too!!

Notice my ammo holding up my monitor in the bottom pic...

Quick Guys its a TRAP!!!! Shes got that metal around thoses specific fingers!!!
:willy_nilly:

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 8:00 PM
IMVHO, more better:

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-TK11-Flashlight-Black-Aluminum/dp/B001C3XFQK

Mmmmm not gonna lie I do like the aluminum body.

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 8:00 PM

Have you read up on the different gas system lengths and different lengths of barrels?

Also, if you can get your significant other to join Calguns, maybe he'll get more into guns... which leads to more guns for you. I've been trying to get my girl to shoot for a while now.

Mmmmm not gonna lie I do like the aluminum body.

Look into the Quark AA. It is alum, LED and uses AA batteries instead of the less common CR123.

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 8:05 PM
Ive been reading about different barrel lengths and what I think I want to go with is either a 14.5 inch barrel with a fixed flash hider or a 16 inch with a switchable flash hider. I like the look of the shorter barrel, and I believe the functionality will serve me better in a smaller house/close quarters....

As for reading up on gas system lengths, im not going to lie im kind of clueless but I believe im being educated as we speak :)

paladin4415
02-23-2011, 8:05 PM
Welcome Sarah,
If you buy this upper (with bolt carrier group and charging handle): $534.00
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm
and this rail: $148.50
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-18-p/mctar-18.htm
They will work well with your CMMG lower and are of good quality. All you will need to add is a rear sight of your choosing and will be ready to go.
If you or your husband is not knowledgeable about how everything goes together, just post your general location and I'm sure you will have lots of offers to help. ;)

You could use this upper if you want a 14.5" setup with a perm attached flash hider, but it adds $135.00.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14-bfh.htm

AeroEngi
02-23-2011, 8:10 PM
I can vouch for BCM's complete uppers. I just recently finished my first build with a 16" BCM carbine length upper and BCM BCG. Their barrels are high pressure proof tested and MPI inspected as well as their bolts. A lot of guys on here will tell you the same.

SarahKC1987
02-23-2011, 8:16 PM
[QUOTE=RRichie09;5876682]
Also, if you can get your significant other to join Calguns, maybe he'll get more into guns... which leads to more guns for you. I've been trying to get my girl to shoot for a while now.
QUOTE]

Im pretty sure he's a member but I dont know what his name is on here. He's into guns we have a collection of handguns and this is my/our first AR build.
He's not here to ask questions though, he's out of the country. He's a private contractor.

Ub3rDorK
02-23-2011, 8:21 PM

yeah seriously

Vanilla Gorilla
02-23-2011, 8:24 PM

upper and lower

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 8:38 PM
Ive been reading about different barrel lengths and what I think I want to go with is either a 14.5 inch barrel with a fixed flash hider or a 16 inch with a switchable flash hider. I like the look of the shorter barrel, and I believe the functionality will serve me better in a smaller house/close quarters....

As for reading up on gas system lengths, im not going to lie im kind of clueless but I believe im being educated as we speak :)

Haha, ok.

The difference in gas systems is basically where the gas port (the front sight) is located on the barrel. The carbine gas system is shorter, meaning the gas port is closer to the receiver. The midlength is longer and you do not have to worry about rifle length gas systems unless you get a barrel longer than 18".

A 14.5" with a carbine gas system is what is found on the M4's (military AR's)

A 14.5" with a mid-length gas system is very popular right now. It has the longer gas system so you have less felt recoil and it is suppose to be easier on the parts. Also, since the gas port/sight is further away you have the benefit of a longer sight radius which will help with you being accurate.

A 16" with a carbine gas system is a greater recoil since more gas is directed back into the rifle. I won't bore you with the technical details of dwell time and such.

A 16" mid-length has the same pro's as the 14.5" midlength.

Also, don't forget to consider rail lengths. A carbine gas system will have a 7" rail while a mid-length gas system will have a 9" rail allowing for more real estate to mount your stuff.

You could also do a low profile gas block, where the gas block does not have the sight built in and then you can install a rail as long as your heart's content.

Check out this site BCM Uppers (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm) You can browse different setups to determine what you like looks wise. BCM is also a very reputable company and many people swear by them.

Crowesnest
02-23-2011, 8:42 PM

I have a CMMG upper on a Stag lower...CMMG makes a decent product.

tyan
02-23-2011, 8:43 PM
I have about 10 rail systems from different makers here. My new favor is the tubular style handguard with modular rails. Such as Troy, Midwest Industries, Samson, Alexander Arms, Precision Reflex, Wilson Combat, Vltor, Apex, and ATI.

1) What's your budget?

2) What's your barrel configuration? Gas system length?

3) Are you handy with tools? Do you have a vice, torque wrench and punches?

4) To free-float or not free-float?

RRichie09
02-23-2011, 8:48 PM
Welcome Sarah,
If you buy this upper (with bolt carrier group and charging handle): $534.00
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm
and this rail: $148.50
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-18-p/mctar-18.htm
They will work well with your CMMG lower and are of good quality. All you will need to add is a rear sight of your choosing and will be ready to go.
If you or your husband is not knowledgeable about how everything goes together, just post your general location and I'm sure you will have lots of offers to help. ;)

You could use this upper if you want a 14.5" setup with a perm attached flash hider, but it adds $135.00.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14-bfh.htm

Might wanna check your math or maybe they changed prices a few moments ago.

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 9:04 PM
Honestly, if you're planning to use it for close range stuff, you don't need more than a drop-in rail. Troy MRF DI and Daniel Defense EZ CAR are good choices for carbine length guns. You can install them with no tools. Those are both under $150.

MrPlink
02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
4chan I tell you!
Everybody claimed it was turning into arfcom, but I say 4chan!

Hump0311
02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Most replies ever for such a simple question. I'm just going to have my wife create an account and start asking questions for me.

Write Winger
02-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Just be sure to post pictures!

Droppin Deuces
02-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Most replies ever for such a simple question. I'm just going to have my wife create an account and start asking questions for me.

It's a good thing you guys are contributing to it. I don't know what would happen without you:p

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Everyone's answer are definately appreciated :)

ulv
02-24-2011, 12:15 AM

Buying a cash and carry c&r. About 2 days after I put an order on a saiga I went and picked up a 1940 K98 Mauser from a calgunner. More guns keep your mind off other guns.

voiceoftheright
02-24-2011, 12:33 AM
4 pages...how many have sent your friend requests? Wookie Monster.

racky
02-24-2011, 12:57 AM
nice! another reason to spam my videos

hQ-fo36I5r8.
iq7LAo1yScE

mspiredm3
02-24-2011, 1:30 AM
I think this thread has showed us that if someone wants the most thorough answers to a questions, they should pretend to be a girl! Lol

MrPlink
02-24-2011, 2:21 AM
I think this thread has showed us that if someone wants the most thorough answers to a questions, they should pretend to be a girl! Lol

note to self: request admin to change user name to "Miss Plink"

Mr_Monkeywrench
02-24-2011, 7:58 AM
Also you might want to consider the VTAC option as well. They are relatively cheap and are a superb product

21SF
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Damn man, its almost like people went and did research just so they could participate in the "girls" thread.

mif_slim
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM

That's a good idea. I'm telling my wife her picture will be posted here and there on Calguns, and that she has a account on cgn since I didn't know I had a account on Facebook for ifarm! Lol. Should be even.

AngryPossum
02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
More Pics!!!! There I said it....:D

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 11:24 AM
More Pics!!!! There I said it....:D

Here's one of my dogs.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/Image0197.jpg

Recession
02-24-2011, 11:29 AM

I started a post about this not too long ago:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=382837

I'm very weary about the "girls" on this forum.

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I started a post about this not too long ago:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=382837

I'm very weary about the "girls" on this forum.

Yeah, but in this particular case, she has already provided us with "proof of life" photos. Not that she or anyone else should ever need to.
More than anything at this point, I think it's funny that so many dudes are bothered by the fact that she's getting more attention than they are:smilielol5:

edsel6502
02-24-2011, 11:39 AM
put one of these (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=241) on one of these (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/popup.cfm?type=i&id=products/mi_ak4774hndgrdpu.gif)

Profit!.

CQB. No worries about Bore sight offset. Especially when you are shooting at a 3 dimensional target with different angles.

My 2 cents

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 11:43 AM
More Pics!!!! There I said it....

i am so glad you asked for more pics here are some of my favorite ones i have taken so far
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/DSC_0279-1-1.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/DSC_0269.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/042-1.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/dslr%20photos/004-1.jpg

ir0nclash86
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
lol 4 pages and going over a Q about a rail system posted by a girl lol? Bunch of horn dogs in here. lol No she isn't going to magically send you a PM and ask you on a date since you helped answer her question.

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
lol 4 pages and going over a Q about a rail system posted by a girl lol? Bunch of horn dogs in here. lol No she isn't going to magically send you a PM and ask you on a date since you helped answer her question.

As I was saying.

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
As I was saying.

lol

ir0nclash86
02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
hahaha

Outta Control
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM

BUahhahahaha Typical isn't it?

mqd123
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Wow! it doesn't take much to motive this crowd. lol.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 12:41 PM

LoL..... I might!!!! Have you guys seen the movie Hall Pass? lol.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
That's a good idea. I'm telling my wife her picture will be posted here and there on Calguns, and that she has a account on cgn since I didn't know I had a account on Facebook for ifarm! Lol. Should be even.

Ha ha this is classic!!!!

ir0nclash86
02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Lol oh no. Waiting for calgunners to start posting body shots now now

jkcerda
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM

:kiss: :):)

jkcerda
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM

:kiss:, just curios, how many PMs & friends request have you received so far :43:

IPSICK
02-24-2011, 1:02 PM

At first I was going to reprimand all the immaturity thus far and then you go on and encourage it.

Of course, now you've enticed me to watch Hall Pass. Does this mean we'll each have to get one from our spouses? :p

Seriously, guys don't hate because women get more active responses on these forums. Would you prefer the alternative where women don't go on the forum because guys gripe about the 'unfair' attention? Don't worry, I give bad advice to both sexes equally.

Recession
02-24-2011, 1:09 PM

:popcorn:

jumbopanda
02-24-2011, 2:30 PM
Epic leg humping thread.

Write Winger
02-24-2011, 2:33 PM
Hall Pass, lol. Guys, here's your opportunity to post pics of YOURSELVES in case she's serious! :D

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 2:53 PM
No way. I've posted a picture of myself on an internet forum before. Now everyone knows me as the "Ten inches in ten days guy.":punk:

Write Winger
02-24-2011, 2:57 PM
Dulcolax, Droppin Deuces?

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 3:07 PM
HAHAHA.

Yeah...:(

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 3:35 PM
At first I was going to reprimand all the immaturity thus far and then you go on and encourage it.

Of course, now you've enticed me to watch Hall Pass. Does this mean we'll each have to get one from our spouses? :p

Seriously, guys don't hate because women get more active responses on these forums. Would you prefer the alternative where women don't go on the forum because guys gripe about the 'unfair' attention? Don't worry, I give bad advice to both sexes equally.

Of course I'll encourage it a little :) Im obviously not some prissy little girl.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 3:36 PM
:kiss:, just curios, how many PMs & friends request have you received so far :43:

PM's like crazy, but very informative. & only 2 friends requests :(

Coded-Dude
02-24-2011, 3:37 PM
the funniest part about this thread. someone who doesn't know much about rails is gonna come in here and read the whole thing.....only to leave still not knowing much about rails/handguards.

mif_slim
02-24-2011, 3:37 PM
My wife will be friending you soon. lol

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 3:40 PM

You haven't gotten anything from me, have you?

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 3:50 PM
the funniest part about this thread. someone who doesn't know much about rails is gonna come in here and read the whole thing.....only to leave still not knowing much about rails/handguards.

Well I hope they learn something! Before this thread started I knew ZIP and now I have one version practically in the mail!! I want to educate others as well. So hopefully no one has to come on here and feel stupid asking questions :) Now if they don't use search, then feel free to slap em'.

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 3:51 PM

lol :D

docsmileyface
02-24-2011, 3:54 PM
Well I hope they learn something! Before this thread started I knew ZIP and now I have one version practically in the mail!! I want to educate others as well. So hopefully no one has to come on here and feel stupid asking questions :) Now if they don't use search, then feel free to slap em'.

OK, who sent you a rail set for free? For what its worth I'm a 19 year old college girl who has no idea on what kind of long range scope I should get.... I was thinking Leupold or maybe US Optics, maybe one of these big strong members we have could send me one to try out *giggle*?

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 3:56 PM
OK, who sent you a rail set for free? For what its worth I'm a 19 year old college girl who has no idea on what kind of long range scope I should get.... I was thinking Leupold or maybe US Optics, maybe one of these big strong members we have could send me one to try out *giggle*?

unfortunately :useless:
lol jk

rareair
02-24-2011, 3:58 PM
OK, who sent you a rail set for free? For what its worth I'm a 19 year old college girl who has no idea on what kind of long range scope I should get....

Hmmmm, you joined back in 2006 when you were only 14-15yrs?

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 3:59 PM

hey it could happen :rolleyes::rolleyes:

21SF
02-24-2011, 4:01 PM

Ops....caught dude fishing!!!BUAHAHAHAHAH

docsmileyface
02-24-2011, 4:02 PM
Well, the good news is, I'm legal now.... *blush*

If nobody wants to send me a US Optics scope, I'll settle for a NightForce.... or maybe even an ACOG.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 4:07 PM
NO ONE sent me anything for free!! But someone does have my address now! Im getting a Magpul Moe handguard in black :) We'll see how it turns out. Decent price I think.

21SF
02-24-2011, 4:13 PM
Sad part is, wouldnt doubt lonely desprate old men sending you stuff.

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 4:30 PM
Sad part is, wouldnt doubt lonely desprate old men sending you stuff.

they can send me stuff but i dont think i look all that good in a bikini:D

Vanilla Gorilla
02-24-2011, 4:31 PM
NO ONE sent me anything for free!! But someone does have my address now! Im getting a Magpul Moe handguard in black :) We'll see how it turns out. Decent price I think.

you decided to go with the moe handguard and not a quadrail?

IPSICK
02-24-2011, 4:33 PM
Of course I'll encourage it a little :) Im obviously not some prissy little girl.

And great now we know you like guns and have a sense of humor. Stop it or you will be showered with gifts of free ammo and shooting lessons.

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 5:33 PM
I can't believe you people are still having fun in here.

Stop it!

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 6:42 PM
you decided to go with the moe handguard and not a quadrail?

Well I figure this won't be my last AR build so if I end up not liking it then it can go on another, plus it was only $10 plus shipping :)

PLUS! I just ordered this http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52222/pid=26652/Product/BROWNELLS_A_4_COLLAPSIBLE_BUTTSTOCK

&& this... http://riflegear.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=621&SEName=magpul-pmag-10-round-30-body-magazine-223556mm

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 7:12 PM
Well I figure this won't be my last AR build so if I end up not liking it then it can go on another, plus it was only $10 plus shipping :)

PLUS! I just ordered this http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52222/pid=26652/Product/BROWNELLS_A_4_COLLAPSIBLE_BUTTSTOCK

&& this... http://riflegear.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=621&SEName=magpul-pmag-10-round-30-body-magazine-223556mm

You should really consider a MilSpec stock and receiver extension. You won't regret it. From the feedback that I've seen on this site, MilSpec is the preferred format...just a stronger production.

Warhawk014
02-24-2011, 7:13 PM
this thread is epic

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 7:14 PM
:lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 7:16 PM
This thread is so entertaining....sort of like those way back pertaining to Mr. Specops Mall Ninja! :beatdeadhorse5:

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 7:17 PM
:banghead: DOPE! Forgot it should be MilSpec!!! Think its to late to change my mind. I already ordered.

Suggestions?

PS.... is it illegal for this thread to be multi-topic?

I hate to be a thread jacker.... oh wait..

Hump0311
02-24-2011, 7:19 PM
:banghead: DOPE! Forgot it should be MilSpec!!! Think its to late to change my mind. I already ordered.

Just cancel it dude.

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 7:20 PM

Nah, just call them/email them and ask them to cancel it. Unless you ordered really early this morning, I doubt they've already packed and shipped it out.

Droppin Deuces
02-24-2011, 7:20 PM

No it's not. Send them an email now with your order#, then call them first thing in the morning to verify that they changed it.

Warhawk014
02-24-2011, 7:25 PM

inbound:D

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 7:42 PM
Actually after further review, I think I like this one I ordered.

Can someone suggest a milspec one? I just ordered now and its like 7:15pm... so I guess ive got a few hours before I can email them and change it :)

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 7:48 PM
Actually after further review, I think I like this one I ordered.

Can someone suggest a milspec one? I just ordered now and its like 7:15pm... so I guess ive got a few hours before I can email them and change it :)

The commercial and milspec stock will look nearly identical. The only difference is the diameter of the extension tube and how it fits into the buttstock. They are machined differently and Milspec is definitely more sturdy.

The one url on Brownell's site actually links you to a commercial stock...it's incorrectly labeled as milspec.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 7:51 PM
Copy. According to the reviews about this specific one, a few people said it was a tight fit and that helped reduce rattle.

IPSICK
02-24-2011, 7:55 PM
Also the mil-spec will probably fit more brands of stocks from the top tier manufacturers. Curious since you got the MOE handguard and a PMAG, why not a MOE stock or some other Magpul stock?

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 8:01 PM
Not sure IPSICK just kinda looked around for what I saw that I liked and was in my price range as well as staying with the brands some people said were decent :)

Mostly just the looks of things, since I have no other reference yet on functionality. :)

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 8:05 PM
Ipsick is right.... A Moe Stock and milspec buffer will run you about $60 for the stock and $25 for the extension tube.

MOE MILSPEC BUTTSTOCK: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26706/avs|Style_1=Mil-Spec/Product/AR_15_M16_MOE_trade__BUTTSTOCK

EXTENSION TUBE: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27440/Product/CAR_15_M4_RECEIVER_EXTENSION_TUBE

You might find some better deals on EBAY, but as always, buyer beware.

PRODRIVE
02-24-2011, 8:08 PM
buy KAC rail!!!

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 8:09 PM
Not sure IPSICK just kinda looked around for what I saw that I liked and was in my price range as well as staying with the brands some people said were decent :)

Mostly just the looks of things, since I have no other reference yet on functionality. :)

Milspec is definitely the way to go. Looks can be deceiving, and the differences between commercial and milspec are minute, but I have heard of more failures resulting from using commercial hardware over milspec.

IPSICK
02-24-2011, 8:16 PM
Well, Magpul's got a great reputation for their stocks but honestly I haven't looked at their prices lately. Also I'm not sure if the MOE stock doesn't rattle because it's missing the friction lock mechanism that is on the CTR.

Etihtsarom
02-24-2011, 8:18 PM
Ok Calguns.

I learned so much from this thread. I chose to go with the Yanked Hills Machines Forearms with that there rail thing. But now that my gun is completed, I'm just sitting here without any ammo to shoot. Sigh......http://topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/hot-chick-glasses-4.png

paladin4415
02-24-2011, 8:27 PM
Better and cheaper stock set:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black.htm

Crowesnest
02-24-2011, 8:31 PM
Better and cheaper stock set:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black.htm

Bravo Company is good too, but since Brownells already has her money, it would probably be easier to do an exchange rather than complete refund.

paladin4415
02-24-2011, 8:37 PM
Bravo Company is good too, but since Brownells already has her money, it would probably be easier to do an exchange rather than complete refund.

If the young lady just ordered it tonight, a follow up email tonight will cancel the order with Brownells if she wishes to. They are very easy to work with.
I only wanted to offer her a less costly option.

IPSICK
02-24-2011, 8:40 PM
Brownells is usually good with customer service and can likely accommodate a cancellation.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 8:50 PM
I'll email brownells but Im having some trouble finding a good MilSpec... or ANY Milspec stock sort of like the one I got equal to or less price? Anyone have any suggestions from Brownells? Can't seem to see where it would specify if it was MilSpec? Is MilSpec a brand or what? .........

JK I know its not a brand.

paladin4415
02-24-2011, 9:04 PM
I'll email brownells but Im having some trouble finding a good MilSpec... or ANY Milspec stock sort of like the one I got equal to or less price? Anyone have any suggestions from Brownells? Can't seem to see where it would specify if it was MilSpec? Is MilSpec a brand or what? .........

This link:
Is that the type you want?

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 9:05 PM
Yeah that would be sweet..... if they had it on Brownells :)

paladin4415
02-24-2011, 9:11 PM
Yeah that would be sweet..... if they had it on Brownells :)

I don't believe you will find one at Brownells. It should be possible to cancel the one you ordered there and purchase the one I linked from Bravo Company.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 9:17 PM
**** it i'll just order that one too...

paladin4415
02-24-2011, 9:25 PM

I like your style. :D
You will do well here.

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 9:33 PM
As for the rails... I was offered a style of one and I elected to take the option as I believe my hubby and I will be building multiple rifles we can use them as options for gun 2...

SarahKC1987
02-24-2011, 9:34 PM
I didn't think it would edit my language but it did... ha ha...

paladin4415
02-24-2011, 9:38 PM
As for the rails... I was offered a style of one and I elected to take the option as I believe my hubby and I will be building multiple rifles we can use them as options for gun 2...

The Magpul Moe handguards will serve you well.

(and yes, "bad" words are not allowed here)

nicitaja
02-24-2011, 9:39 PM
well, I just tried to type a nice large email about why I would look at UTG, but Im a macintosh guy, and am using a POS Windows 7 laptop, with one of those god awful track pads that move the cursor all over the place while trying to type and causing a screen refresh and all that crap, god Windows sucks compared to OSX. Anyways,

take a look at UTG, Under The Gun, a company that started making ar-15 replica parts for ar-15 replicate bb (airsoft) guns. They started off making stuff that was okay, to know making stuff that is just as good as most of the stuff costing 5 times as much, its made in america, and its there stuff, not Chinese knockoff's with crappy tollerences.

For instance you can get a riffle length 12" "free floating" (with replaceable barrel nut just like a troy or Daniels defense, but at 80.00 instead of 290-400 bucks. Its close enough to make you be happy with what you got, not that you had to settle for less. Look it up, amazon.com has lots of people selling them, just make sure that you read the feedback on the seller, UTG has gotten popular enough, that just like eotech and troy, Chinese knock off's are now to be found of them. Expect to pay 65.00 carbine (7") or 80.00 full rifle length (12") for genuine made in america aluminum hand-guards just like the ones you would pay 380 for in daniels defense systems.

just my two cents. look at amazon.com for utg 4/16 products, and choose a high ranked seller, or hit up some of the local black gun shops, most of them now sell utg, its just too good a deal to not stock for customers. Me, I use troy industries, but mostly due to my last purchases were in dark earth, and I don't feel like painting my parts, but i wouldn't feel bad telling my buddy to use UTG, I'm sure others her will agree, as will other disagree. But even those that disagree will have very specific reasons, not a crappy product as a reason.

MKE
02-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Ok Calguns.

I learned so much from this thread. I chose to go with the Yanked Hills Machines Forearms with that there rail thing. But now that my gun is completed, I'm just sitting here without any ammo to shoot. Sigh......http://topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/hot-chick-glasses-4.png
Lmfao! :rofl:

MKE
02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Be sure the rail you settle on can handle any devices that you think you may need in the future. Something robust like this guy's rifle.

http://home.comcast.net/~gunruner1/images/extreme.jpg

Crowesnest
02-25-2011, 1:20 AM
If the young lady just ordered it tonight, a follow up email tonight will cancel the order with Brownells if she wishes to. They are very easy to work with.
I only wanted to offer her a less costly option.

Of course. Just sometimes, it's not necessarily worth the hassle, esp if you find something you want and the price is right. If not, her best be is to cancel like you said and move on to another vendor.

IPSICK
02-25-2011, 1:44 AM
Be sure the rail you settle on can handle any devices that you think you may need in the future. Something robust like this guy's rifle.

I see you found a picture of my back-up rifle.

xXBigJoeXx
02-25-2011, 5:31 AM
:willy_nilly:

siliconphreak
02-25-2011, 8:21 AM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr68/siliconphreak/8ccb9125.jpg

RRichie09
02-25-2011, 8:29 AM

And the second build begins. :D

SarahKC1987
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
And the second build begins. :D

Exactly!!!!!! I just told hubby last night I ordered to many parts so I asked him if I could spend another $175 on another lower when the first one is jailbroken!!! (LoL... mixing and matching my gun terms and my apple Iphone forum terms, ha ha )

He said ok...

RRichie09
02-25-2011, 11:14 AM
SPR build?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/DanHuu1225/DSC06517.jpg

CK_32
02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Its amazing to see how many guys get so googly just because its said some where on the other side there is a female.. Ugly or not...

If this was a guy I would have seen tons of USE THE SEARCH BUTTON or let me google that for you lol

And for all you homos know those could be off of some random myspace or dating site lol

Its just funny to see how the tides and attitude around the net changes instantly with a ton of guys and one simple women.

CK_32
02-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Im just ganna say best pics in this thread by far.

Hahahah sorry OP.. Your cute but I'm on Calguns for guns.. I have other sites I can drool over chick pics for haha

:D

And for you lonly fellas.. Check out Snipershide GF pic thread.. Now that's some meat on that thread. Mature audiences advised! trust me!

SarahKC1987
02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
CK32... thanks for the info on Snipershide... IM going to check out that GF thread. HA!

As for these pix... I love em' to. Infact one of them someone posted has turned me onto making my gun a clone of his. We happen to have the same lower and desire the same upper so. It sweet... love the gunporn. Can't wait till I have something else to contribute beides my face pix. But ummmmm..... yeah.

SarahKC1987
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Its amazing to see how many guys get so googly just because its said some where on the other side there is a female.. Ugly or not...

If this was a guy I would have seen tons of USE THE SEARCH BUTTON or let me google that for you lol

And for all you homos know those could be off of some random myspace or dating site lol

Its just funny to see how the tides and attitude around the net changes instantly with a ton of guys and one simple women.

I really didn't post my pictures other than just for fun. I mean what seems so simple on facebook and stuff (I literallty have 100's of photos on fb) drew a crowd here. I dunno, I didn't mean to cause any problems. But I didn't want people doubting me either so I posted the fan pic signs. I mean, I like to rock the guns too.

solidstate
02-25-2011, 12:06 PM

That is a badass keychain!

Droppin Deuces
02-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Someone else said it a few pages ago: It is what it is.

Just have fun with it. What's the big deal?

Here's another pic of my dogs:
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181716_1909764783491_1222993846_32293585_6665473_n .jpg

AngryPossum
02-25-2011, 1:22 PM
Nice dogs, but not really the pics I was thinking of.........shame no update yet:jump:

Crowesnest
02-25-2011, 8:26 PM
CK32... thanks for the info on Snipershide... IM going to check out that GF thread. HA!

As for these pix... I love em' to. Infact one of them someone posted has turned me onto making my gun a clone of his. We happen to have the same lower and desire the same upper so. It sweet... love the gunporn. Can't wait till I have something else to contribute beides my face pix. But ummmmm..... yeah.

So what did you decide on for your stock? Did you go milspec?

SarahKC1987
02-26-2011, 1:23 AM
I did indeed order the second suggested milspec one :)