View Full Version : PSL damaging casings on ejection- is steel safe?

02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question for anyone with some experience with the Century Arms PSL-54C. My first range visit involved shooting the 150grain wolf rounds with brass casings. After spending a couple mags, I noticed that the brass casings were being crimped at the head, or getting dinged on the side. I googled around to find out that this behavior is somewhat normal, but my question is: can I shoot the wolf bimetal bullets with the steel case, or will the steel damage my PSL (considering that it bangs up the brass so badly)?

Any input appreciated.

For clarification: this doesn't seem to be a head spacing issue as there's no stress to the shoulder of the casings. Some casings are crimped at the head, others not.
I could be wrong, but I believe the crimping is being caused by the casings being smashed against the bolt carrier as they're ejected. There's some brass rubbed off on it, which seems to support that guess. The dings on the side- maybe the casings impacting objects after clearing the ejection port?

02-22-2011, 11:26 PM
You aren't going to get dings like that from the casings hitting anything after leaving the weapon.

02-23-2011, 12:52 AM
I suppose I'll change my guess to the side dings being a result of hitting the receiver cover. There does appear to be some brass there on the rear edge.

02-23-2011, 8:17 AM
My PSL does the same thing. Throws brass in every which direction, front, back, up, to the side, it's all over the place. And most of the rounds are like yours - beat to heck.

Maybe it's just the fine craftsmanship of our commie rifles?

Full Clip
02-23-2011, 8:25 AM
...but my question is: can I shoot the wolf bimetal bullets with the steel case, or will the steel damage my PSL (considering that it bangs up the brass so badly)?

The PSL was designed for use with steel-cased ammo.
Cases could also be hitting the charging handle as they eject.
Check this out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozyw84Swmb4)

02-23-2011, 9:08 AM
Haha. Man, those commies sure have produced a machine I love. Good point, Clip. I forgot the 7N1 rounds were steel cased. That should ease my mind a bit.

Thanks guys!

Mr. Casull
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
If you can find where they are hitting you might want to file some of that area. I would suggest you do it a little at a time with a very fine file. I had the same problem with my MAK90 in 223 and now it does not ding up the brass at all. Have the same problem with my FAL and I am working on resolving that issue by filing. Will be taking my Dremel tool with me next time out to resolve it. The FAL has a sharp point near the ejection port that is the issue. I will be rounding it over.

02-23-2011, 8:04 PM
That. Link. Is. AWESOME. I wondered how hard it would be to do that myself since i was so sure nobody had done it before