PDA

View Full Version : weird question from a friend of mine

CalNRA
09-25-2006, 9:54 PM
Hey guys:

I have a friend of mine living up north in Southern Washington and his family owns quite a bit of land out there. he was talking to me the other day and an interesting issue came up:

They have *a lot* of deers near by and when they walk there are always a few near by and they have a few tags bought just in case. (of course out there no one checks, the Sheriffs don't go up near his part of the woods, but he likes to donate a few bucks to the fish and games for good will gestures)

So he has a Sig in 357sig and a Ruger GP100 in 357mag. He asked me what I would carry if I were walking on his property, I said the revolver for sure(because that's what I always carried in the woods). But after I hung up the phone I looked up the specs and ballistics and realized that the I was a dumb-butt. The 357sig has about the same muzzle energy, his Ruger is a 4-inch model and his Sig has a 3.69 inch barrel. Wouldn't a 357sig at close range(30 yards or so) be adaquate for a deer(say a whitetail) using FMJ? His property is full of trees and visibility is less than 25 yards at the most. If he were just walking around, and a good deer prances by and he had his Sig in a holster it would be adaqute for the work?

OF course the wheelgun is the safe answer, but how about this one, a medium sized semiauto for a deer?

moulton
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
do they make SP or HP .357 sig? I would trust the gp-100....not just because I have one but because the wide variety of different loads:D

CalNRA
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
they do have JHP and HP 357 sig, but I figured for a deer you want enough penetration from a small pistol round.

metalhead357
09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
and ya' better have your friend check the regs on using FMJ on deer...tis a NO-NO here in cali:cool: But I've known a couple guys to take deer with sidearms:D