PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first KelTec , and I rebuilt some 20rd mags.

PutTogether
02-22-2011, 8:58 PM
Though I've never handled, or even seen in person, a Keltec SU-16, I bought one a few days ago. I happened to notice a 'CA' model in stock on the Davidsons website for the first time ever, so I jumped on it and had it shipped to OC Armory.

Granted, I havent shot it yet, but I have to say I was impressed with how solid the gun felt. I was expecting something quite a bit flimsier.

It also gave me a good excuse to finally get around to rebuilding some OLD beat up colt mags I've had since high school. The SU-16 gave me an excuse because I don't have a featureless AR to use them in, so there was never a point to fixing/rebuilding them. They were the older Colt mags with the black plastic follower. They were basically trash with bent and tweaked feed lips, badly dented bodies, and one even had the front end of the follower broken off.

I bought some C products 20 round rebuild kits with the new style long legged, no tilt follower. I took apart the junky colt magazines, saved the springs, and threw the old bodies, base plates, and followers away. Then I put the magazines back together using the C products bodies, base plates, followers, and the springs from the old Colts. Obviously, I haven't used these yet, but the C-Products seem pretty nice. Silly uneducated me though, I had thought that all 20rd AR magazines were straight. I didn't realize they made curved ones until they showed up.

I'm looking forward to shooting the new gun with the mostly new magazines. I got a great deal on both, and both are nicer than I thought they would be, so far anyway.

The gun is still in ten day wait, hopefully it ends up being a fun plinker.

Fobjoe
02-22-2011, 9:07 PM
Nice. I miss my SU-16CA...Sold it to fund my AR-10 back in 09 and have been itching to get a charlie model now that I'm in free america. I haven't come across a lighter .223 carbine that wasn't an SBR. The stock peep sight is too wide though. Get yourself a cheap red dot like a primary arms and it'll make it real fun for plinking. =) It's def a niche gun but the satisfaction of whipping it out of your backpack at the range is worth it in my opinion. Definitely a good "utility" carbine.

PutTogether
02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Nice. I miss my SU-16CA...Sold it to fund my AR-10 back in 09 and have been itching to get a charlie model now that I'm in free america. I haven't come across a lighter .223 carbine that wasn't an SBR. The stock peep sight is too wide though. Get yourself a cheap red dot like a primary arms and it'll make it real fun for plinking. =) It's def a niche gun but the satisfaction of whipping it out of your backpack at the range is worth it in my opinion. Definitely a good "utility" carbine.

I noticed the huge aperture when I was handling the gun. I had heard people complain about the stock sights, but never got what the specific complaint was. Now I get it. It is huge.

I was thinking about grabbing the really small Bushnell red dot and slapping it on there. It seemed like a good idea because it was so small and light, in keeping with the purpose of the rifle itself.

ulv
02-23-2011, 1:03 PM
Congrats, I own an SU and it's a fantastic and reliable gun. Disassemble and maintaining it are also a breeze.

I do agree on the sights though, shortly I plan on buying and trying out this one from KT

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/buckhorn-sight-kit/

mif_slim
02-23-2011, 1:13 PM
Mines have about 9000 rounds thru it and still shoots about 2" at 50 yards now which open up a lot since I first got it. I love it and its my hunting rifle. love it love it!

Agro
02-23-2011, 1:39 PM
I'm trying to buy a Kel-Tec SU-16CA and have been looking around trying to find a good price. Most places seem out of stock or are asking way over what they should. I noticed that the galleryofguns.com shows OOS as well. Bummer.

enjoy.

21SF
02-23-2011, 2:00 PM
:useless:

shooterdude
02-23-2011, 2:42 PM
It also gave me a good excuse to finally get around to rebuilding some OLD beat up colt mags I've had since high school. The SU-16 gave me an excuse because I don't have a featureless AR to use them in, so there was never a point to fixing/rebuilding them. They were the older Colt mags with the black plastic follower. They were basically trash with bent and tweaked feed lips, badly dented bodies, and one even had the front end of the follower broken off.

I bought some C products 20 round rebuild kits with the new style long legged, no tilt follower. I took apart the junky colt magazines, saved the springs, and threw the old bodies, base plates, and followers away. Then I put the magazines back together using the C products bodies, base plates, followers, and the springs from the old Colts. Obviously, I haven't used these yet, but the C-Products seem pretty nice. Silly uneducated me though, I had thought that all 20rd AR magazines were straight. I didn't realize they made curved ones until they showed up.

It's a good thing you typed 2 whole paragraphs on how you rebuilt your magazines just in case a LEO asks where you got those brand new looking large caps, you tell him to read your post on Calgun's which proves beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not manufacture new magazines in violation of state law. :rolleyes:

stix213
02-23-2011, 4:07 PM
Just FYI, now that you have rebuilt your mags and have the old springs inside, there is nothing preventing you from rebuilding them again and replacing the springs with new springs.

I'm likely getting an SU-16CA myself once we can buy high cap mags again soon. I was looking at my AR at changing it to featureless, but I think I like the evil features too much on that specific rifle.

Wherryj
02-23-2011, 4:47 PM
I noticed the huge aperture when I was handling the gun. I had heard people complain about the stock sights, but never got what the specific complaint was. Now I get it. It is huge.

I was thinking about grabbing the really small Bushnell red dot and slapping it on there. It seemed like a good idea because it was so small and light, in keeping with the purpose of the rifle itself.

I picked up a Bushnell Zoom Dot and it seems to do the job-at least until I can get the Eotech past the "funding committee".

shooterdude
02-23-2011, 5:31 PM
Just FYI, now that you have rebuilt your mags and have the old springs inside, there is nothing preventing you from rebuilding them again and replacing the springs with new springs.

I'm likely getting an SU-16CA myself once we can buy high cap mags again soon. I was looking at my AR at changing it to featureless, but I think I like the evil features too much on that specific rifle.

You could just buy some 30 round rebuild kits today.

On a completely separate issue, owning large capacity mags is not a crime. Just sayin......

PutTogether
02-24-2011, 5:50 PM
It's a good thing you typed 2 whole paragraphs on how you rebuilt your magazines just in case a LEO asks where you got those brand new looking large caps, you tell him to read your post on Calgun's which proves beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not manufacture new magazines in violation of state law. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever be telling a cop "uh uh, just look at my anonymous post on a gun forum.....that'll teach you!"

I was more trying to share my experience (limited as it is) with the C product mags and 44mag.com

Way to be kind of a dick though. Thanks.

PutTogether
02-24-2011, 5:51 PM
Just realized I forgot to mention 44mag.com in my first post. Ooops. Highly recommended. Shipped fast AND free!

3006mv
02-24-2011, 6:55 PM
thread the peep and install a Williams or similar smaller aperture

FeuerFrei
02-24-2011, 6:57 PM

I was kinda thinkin the same thing. :rolleyes:
Nice explanation though.

OP;
Just have a good time shooting it and be safe.
Nobody cares about mag capacity or how you got them.

ulv
02-24-2011, 7:31 PM
I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever be telling a cop "uh uh, just look at my anonymous post on a gun forum.....that'll teach you!"

I was more trying to share my experience (limited as it is) with the C product mags and 44mag.com

Way to be kind of a dick though. Thanks.

I don't think he was being a dick, I think his sarcastic tone is in response to the ridiculous amount of precaution us Californians must take for completely legal activities. But if he was, then yeah that's lame, though that's a bit less dickery than what I normally see on forums.

PutTogether
02-24-2011, 8:57 PM
I don't think he was being a dick, I think his sarcastic tone is in response to the ridiculous amount of precaution us Californians must take for completely legal activities. But if he was, then yeah that's lame, though that's a bit less dickery than what I normally see on forums.

You are probably right.

I wanted to mention the mags cause I was impressed with them. Before I hit "submit" I figured I better add the whole story before a bunch of people started acting like mag nazis. My fault.

The mags aren't even the point, but they do at least seem nice. I especially liked the follower they used. The legs are much, much, longer than older ones, and the whole thing seems so much more stable. When I had bullet button AR-15s, all I had to shoot in them were 10 round mags that had the same follower style as the old ones. After I get the gun I'll know if they are nice.

What was SUPER nice was the fact that they were only 9 bucks/piece and had free shipping.

44mag.com seems like a pretty cool outfit.

I like the idea of adding a smaller aperture to the rifle. I don't have any fantasies about running around or needing the "fast target acquisition" that the massive peep on the gun allows. It would probably be more useful to me (punching paper) with a smaller hole. (now some more jokes can start)

LovingTheYear1911
02-24-2011, 9:04 PM
I have the SU-16CA and love it. It does have more recoil and is louder than my AR but its very reliable and light. The weight makes it nice to carry around and doesnt require a macho man. Im no macho man by the way. I have mine all ninjafied because I didnt like the looks of the stock fore end.

ulv
02-25-2011, 2:26 PM
I have the SU-16CA and love it. It does have more recoil and is louder than my AR but its very reliable and light. The weight makes it nice to carry around and doesnt require a macho man. Im no macho man by the way. I have mine all ninjafied because I didnt like the looks of the stock fore end.

Also extremely easy to disassemble and clean! I left mine plain and simple- I figured since it's designed as a lightweight and reliable gun why not leave it as such?

I've seen a few really cool looking ninja su16s that have tempted me to go that route, but I'm pretty content and confident it will stay a light maneuverable backpacking gun.

jasonnorcal
02-25-2011, 3:45 PM
1. get some xm193 ammo and check out the fireball at dusk or on overcast days
2. move the peep sight 1 or 2 slots forward on the rail and the aperature will seem smaller

Lagduf
02-25-2011, 4:30 PM
Fun gun. I like mine but it's purchase made me realize I actually had BRD...now I have two ARs, an ar pistol, an AK, and I'm about to build an AK74.

I kind of tacticool/mall ninja'd my SU-16CA out.

I've got the Red Lion enterprises tri-rail forend and I threw an Aimpoint 9000sc on it. Muzzle device is the Levang Linear Comp.