PDA

View Full Version : Head spacing on an ar15?

robgon
02-22-2011, 8:15 PM
I am putting together my first AR and I just installed my Daniel Defense bolt and bolt carrier group with my BCM gunfighter charging handle on my Daniel Defense upper. Do I need to replace the bolt with one that comes with the barrel (do they come with all barrels?) or use the Daniel Defense bolt?
I will probably get a WOA or Noveske barrel fyi. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

SuperSet
02-22-2011, 8:19 PM
If ur barrel came with a headspaced bolt, use that bolt. If not, u can take that upper to a gunsmith and they can check the headspace for you. It should be a small fee (<$25)

gemini1
02-22-2011, 8:30 PM
The AR being modular allows you to use any brand name parts, mix and match and it should work with no issues if done right. Also, I was told that if all your parts are brand new then head spacing may not be necessary.
But don't take my word for it, since you're building from the ground up, then get a go, no/go gauge to be 100% sure. But I did get one tip I think it was from Ar15Barrel, if you dont have the gauge, one way of checking head space, with the complete upper (no lower) only, to remove the firing pin on the BCG and load a round in the chamber then slide the BCG and push it in by hand, if the BCG sits flush and level at the rear side of the upper then its okay to shoot the rifle, now this is for used uppers only and not brand new ones like the one you're doing so this may be irrelevant.
Wait for comments from the more experience builders.

robgon
02-23-2011, 6:54 AM
Ok thanks so far.