PDA

View Full Version : Building my first AR-15! :D

Hayashi Killian
02-22-2011, 6:30 PM
So after a long time, I finally have the funds to build an AR-15. I originally thought about building an upper as well as a lower, but after a phone call today to Noveske I found out that they don't sell their chrome-lined barrels by themselves, so rather than buy a stainless (and a carbine gas system, as all their stainless come with midlength [?!]) and all the parts which would be at least as much if not more than a built upper I found online which has everything I need, I said fudge it, just concentrate on the lower.

That said, I've assembled a paltry shopping list thus far. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

-Noveske factory second OR Spike's Tactical (most likely) stripped lower receiver
-Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger + Lower Parts Kit
-Magpul ACS Stock
-Magpul MIAD Grip
-Upper assembly

Am I missing anything else?

Now, second & third question. Is there any difference between the Mil-Spec and Commercial-Spec ACS stocks? I only see a small price difference. And does the ACS come with the buffer tube & spring, or do I have to buy it as part of a kit to get that?

rareair
02-22-2011, 6:39 PM
The MagPul ACS stock, regardless if mil or comm-spec, should be priced the same.

You can buy the ACS stock alone ($134/retail) or as a complete kit (buffer tube, spring, castle nut & end plate) for around $200

Dependant on the upper assembly you choose, you might need to purchase some iron sights and/or optics

AeroEngi
02-22-2011, 6:41 PM
You can buy the stock complete assembly which boner with a buffer, tube, spring and castle nut. Don't forget the handguard too... Congrats on your first build btw. I just built my first too.

AeroEngi
02-22-2011, 6:41 PM
I meant comes, not boner lol. Damn cell phones!

Exoterik
02-22-2011, 6:49 PM
I meant comes, not boner lol. Damn cell phones!

LOL

WILDMAN442
02-22-2011, 7:29 PM
You can buy the stock complete assembly which boner with a buffer, tube, spring and castle nut. Don't forget the handguard too... Congrats on your first build btw. I just built my first too.

Thats one for the damnyouautocorrect.com lol

Justin

AeroEngi
02-22-2011, 7:32 PM
Thats one for the damnyouautocorrect.com lol

Justin

This! LOL

Jasonaspears
02-22-2011, 7:33 PM
So after a long time, I finally have the funds to build an AR-15. I originally thought about building an upper as well as a lower, but after a phone call today to Noveske I found out that they don't sell their chrome-lined barrels by themselves, so rather than buy a stainless (and a carbine gas system, as all their stainless come with midlength [?!]) and all the parts which would be at least as much if not more than a built upper I found online which has everything I need, I said fudge it, just concentrate on the lower.

That said, I've assembled a paltry shopping list thus far. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

-Noveske factory second OR Spike's Tactical (most likely) stripped lower receiver
-Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger + Lower Parts Kit
-Magpul ACS Stock
-Magpul MIAD Grip
-Upper assembly

Am I missing anything else?

Now, second & third question. Is there any difference between the Mil-Spec and Commercial-Spec ACS stocks? I only see a small price difference. And does the ACS come with the buffer tube & spring, or do I have to buy it as part of a kit to get that?

Nice list of parts...I'd go with the Spikes lower. As for the differences on the mil-spec and commercial, they are just slight differences in size. You shouldn't see a price difference between most stocks though. Have fun! :)

Noah3683
02-22-2011, 7:39 PM
139.95 ACS COMPLETE stock kit
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG370BLKKIT.aspx

Oh and get the Noveske blem lower. I haven't found the blemish yet...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/STH72385.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/STH72384.jpg

Noah3683
02-22-2011, 7:43 PM
Oh and you can't simply put a carbine gas system on a midlength barrel. The profiling won't allow you to get the gas block down there. The Mid length is a better system anyway unless you are running a 14.5" barrel like I am

Hayashi Killian
02-22-2011, 8:22 PM
Oh and you can't simply put a carbine gas system on a midlength barrel. The profiling won't allow you to get the gas block down there.
Oh I know that. That's why I'm going for a 14.5" barrel. Dunno why, but the chrome barrels (in that size) that Noveske sells have a carbine system, but the stainless have a midlength. No clue.

I suspected that about the ACS given what I saw and read. The price difference was about $10, so I figured it couldn't have been that huge.

I'm tempted to get the Noveske lower but where I saw it, it was priced about $50 more than the Spike's lower.

SureShot241
02-22-2011, 8:52 PM
Whatever you do, Make sure you get an upper that has a properly staked gas key in the bolt, and you cnat mix commercial spec stuff with mil spec

Wicked K5
02-22-2011, 8:57 PM
I'm sure you know, but I'll throw it out there anyway-
Don't forget your mag lock before you attach your upper!

Wicked K5
02-22-2011, 9:00 PM
Disregard my comment! I just noticed you're in a free state. Congrats on that:thumbsup:

iskra31
02-22-2011, 9:29 PM
What handguard are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Oh and you can't simply put a carbine gas system on a midlength barrel. The profiling won't allow you to get the gas block down there. The Mid length is a better system anyway unless you are running a 14.5" barrel like I am

Hayashi Killian
02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
That's part of the reason I'm looking at this prebuilt upper. I don't want to have to worry about staking the carrier key and all that fun jazz.

I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done!

Noah3683
02-23-2011, 3:32 PM
What handguard are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Troy MRF MX 10" rail

iskra31
02-23-2011, 7:39 PM
Troy MRF MX 10" rail

thank you it looks good!

iHate.Kalifornia
02-23-2011, 9:06 PM
MAKING ME JEALOUS!!!!! 250 MORE DAYSS UNTIL I TURN 18, GOOOSSHHHHH IT SEEMS LIKE FOR-EV-ER!!!