PDA

View Full Version : A way to get rid of the 10 day wait

Pulsar
09-25-2006, 7:30 PM
I was talking to someone today who has worked at a few gun shops here in california. We got into the topic of background checks and the ten day wait. I think I asked, does it really take ten days, or is it istant? He said it really takes ten days, often more to get results of the background check. He then proceeded to tell me of times when the ten day wait was up, the customer would pick up the gun. A few days after the pick up he would get the results from the DOJ which said that individual could not own a firearm. He actually said it was pretty common that he wouldn't get results before the ten day was up, but rarely did it result in the wrong person getting a firearm.

This got me thinking, we've got a way to get rid of the stupid ten day wait here. It's an antiquated system that has allowed firearms into the hands of felons and other who are not allowed to own firearms. We should try and get the state to move on to the national system which is an instant check and would prevent such mistakes. It's a safety concern which gives it a very good chance of succeeding in this nanny state.

Of course, I've only heard this from one person, I'd be interested to see if other dealers have had similar experiences.

Bishop
09-25-2006, 7:38 PM
I've of folks in other states getting background checks done "while-u-wait" and cash and carry-ing... Does anyone know if these the same kind of background checks we're doing here?

Is it just our background checking system that's old and slow?

icormba
09-25-2006, 7:41 PM
The rest of the country uses NICS... which is supposed to be a INSTANT check...
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

Stanze
09-25-2006, 7:47 PM
The state lawmakers and DOJ are in bed together to go out of their way to screw with us gun owners in CA.

The 10 day waiting period is mega-retarded, if I already own firearms who's to say I wouldn't use one of the guns already in my collection to commit a crime of passion? Of course I would still have the firearms I previously bought since you have to DROS and 10 day waiting period a FTF sale.

I understand the only way to bypass the 10 day wait for Joe Citizen is private party transfers of Curio and Relic rifles and shotguns.

M. Sage
09-25-2006, 9:28 PM
If it was the system of checking that was the bottleneck, sometimes you'd wait 14 days, sometimes you'd wait 5. It's always exactly ten, never more that I know of, and never EVER less.

Let's see, the police sitting in their car can get your criminal record, current warrants, etc. in a few seconds, how long do you suppose it takes someone sitting in an office (with a computer that's got 100x better connectivity, and is 50x faster to begin with) to get all that info?

It's not a "background check" period, it's a waiting period, plain and simple.

Kruzr
09-25-2006, 9:38 PM
It doesn't take anywhere near the full 10 days. We get denials back in three days at most after we submit the DROS. Sometimes, they come the next day. We get a faxed letter back from DOJ saying the person may not posess a handgun. They don't give us a reason.

Ford8N
09-26-2006, 6:41 AM
The state lawmakers and DOJ are in bed together to go out of their way to screw with us gun owners in CA.

The 10 day waiting period is mega-retarded, if I already own firearms who's to say I wouldn't use one of the guns already in my collection to commit a crime of passion? Of course I would still have the firearms I previously bought since you have to DROS and 10 day waiting period a FTF sale.

I understand the only way to bypass the 10 day wait for Joe Citizen is private party transfers of Curio and Relic rifles and shotguns.

+1

If you already own a firearm, why should you have to wait? Because it's not about the background check, it's about making it a pain in the @ss to own a gun in this rathole state. And also it is a way for the DOJ to justify it's existence and get some money.

Wulf
09-26-2006, 7:04 AM
What's even more hilarious is if you've got a CCW. You can walk into the gun store wearing 3 loaded, concealed guns with a card in your pocket giving you the blessing of your CLEO, and saying you've passed a much more through finger print based background check than the one CADOJ runs (or so I've been given to understand), but still you've got to wait 10-days so you can "cool down" and so that they can "check you out".

NRAhighpowershooter
09-26-2006, 9:54 AM
getting rid of the 10 day wait is common sense..... when was the last time you heard of a lawmaker or govt official applying common sense????

MrTuffPaws
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
How about if you already own a gun, you don't have to wait????

NorCal MedTac
09-26-2006, 1:05 PM
Ten days..... but I'm angry now!!!

I watched in amazement as my family member in TN went in bought a gun and did the instant check and walked out. I think he bought it just to rub it in that I couldn't.

Pulsar
09-26-2006, 5:56 PM
I know I'm angrier after the ten day wait than when I picked out the gun.

Blue
09-26-2006, 6:32 PM
If we say that 10 days doesnt work because sometimes 14 days later the guy gets rejected after he pics up his gun they're going to want to bump the wait to 30 days or some crap like that. IIRC back in '95 it was a 15 day wait wasnt it?

krim
09-26-2006, 7:05 PM
i thought it was 21 days back in the day.

Blue
09-26-2006, 7:38 PM
i thought it was 21 days back in the day.

I dunno but when my dad bought me my first 22 in '95 I didn't change my socks the entire waiting period. Just to insure that we'd pick it up once the "cooling off" period was over. I could swear it was 15 days.

krim
09-26-2006, 8:51 PM
maybe it was 21 for pistols... and 15 for long guns...

i should lay off the beer.

Blue
09-26-2006, 8:53 PM
maybe it was 21 for pistols... and 15 for long guns...

i should lay off the beer.

Me too :D :eek:

grammaton76
09-26-2006, 11:52 PM
The gun shop down the street from me claims that they've gotten calls on the 10th day, occasionally, from the DOJ demanding to know if the gun's still there (like an hour before it's due to be picked up). Not because of crime or whatnot, just because they see a way to harrass and are willing to take it.

stator
09-29-2006, 8:17 AM
CA_DOJ does use NICS already for the background check. The Federal DOJ sent them a warning not to store the information from NICS into their databases a couple of years back (which they were apparently doing).

CA_DOJ also has some California databases they maintain as well. These are for California crimes and California court filings that NICS would not pick up (according to the CA_DOJ).