PDA

View Full Version : OLL friendly FFL in Sacramento Area

animossity
02-22-2011, 2:51 PM
Hello,

I am trying to find a OLL friendly FFL for an out of state transfer for a stripped lower. I went through Snellings for my first one but I believe he is retired now.

Anyone got any reccomendations?

I need to buy 4 lowers and I really like the cal guns one and would prefer to pick one up locally. Are there any shops in the sacramento area that stock them besides sacramento black rifle?

Thanks,

mike_the_wino
02-22-2011, 2:54 PM
TDS is up in Rocklin and I think they have quite a selection of lowers, a few uppers. Give them a call. I went in around the holidays and they were picked over and swapped but the one guy I cornered was pretty helpful...but then he got caught up with another customer.

Reductio
02-22-2011, 2:54 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=320596

animossity
02-22-2011, 3:09 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=320596

I feel like an idiot now missing the stickys, I even did a search to.

Thanks.

Blade
02-22-2011, 3:50 PM
Check out the Sacramento Bee Gun Ad's every now and then, TDS currently has the Aero Precision OLL's for a nice price:

http://findnsave.sacbee.com/Local-Ads/c3475/Sporting-Goods-and-Accessories

ChrisTKHarris
02-22-2011, 3:56 PM
Golden State Tactical!!!

killshot44
02-22-2011, 4:03 PM
Golden State Tactical!!!

+1 Go see Robby at Golden State. He may even have a better deal on Lowers than what you're looking at from out of state.

hammerhands32
02-22-2011, 4:07 PM
Golden State Tactical!!!

Robby Betts

Reductio
02-22-2011, 4:27 PM
I feel like an idiot now missing the stickys, I even did a search to.

Thanks.

lol, no worries... there's so many sticky's now it's hard to even remember what's up. :p

97F1504RAD
02-22-2011, 4:47 PM
Check with Ryan/JKsupply in Ione if it is close enough for you.

supersonic
02-22-2011, 5:52 PM
Just Guns on Watt Ave has CMMG MOD-4's for $99. I've yet to see an FFL in this area that is willing to sell lowers without a substantial markup. They have a stack of them, also STAGs, and those aren't much more. As far as Snelling's, he had a kid that took over for him, not sure of his name, or his hours, but I think if you call Bob's old #, you should be able to find out.

If those 2 are too far out, I would try River City Gun Exchange. They are going to be more expensive, but they are closer to downtown. Just make sure you get there right when they open (they are usually very crowded - especially on Saturdays- and it can take up to 40 minutes to get help at times). But once you do get the help you need, it's all good.

WW2Buff
02-22-2011, 6:06 PM
As far as Snelling's, he had a kid that took over for him, not sure of his name, or his hours, but I think if you call Bob's old #, you should be able to find out.

When did this happen?

BigNick
02-22-2011, 7:47 PM
Sacramento black rifle

hk91666
02-22-2011, 7:53 PM
Rivercity on Fruitridge sells OLL lowers

Ak707
02-22-2011, 8:05 PM
Rob at goldenstate tactical...located in fair oaks. Nice guy and probably the cheapest ffl in the area..!

Hozr
02-22-2011, 9:22 PM
Sacramento black rifle

Avoid at all costs. Not worth the time, energy, or money you will waste. Or the ridiculous hoops they will want you to jump through.

G lock
02-22-2011, 9:27 PM
if its closer, try wild bills in elk grove, they sell OLLs and uppers but you should give them a call about the out of state shipments

ChrisTKHarris
02-22-2011, 9:46 PM
Basically every single gun shop in Sacramento was recommended. :rofl:

Lead-Thrower
02-22-2011, 9:50 PM
if its closer, try wild bills in elk grove, they sell OLLs and uppers but you should give them a call about the out of state shipments

+1 Wild Bill's is a great shop.

Scott Connors
02-22-2011, 9:51 PM
Basically every single gun shop in Sacramento was recommended. :rofl:

This means that they realize that OLL are legal. To quote Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing." :p

animossity
02-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Avoid at all costs. Not worth the time, energy, or money you will waste. Or the ridiculous hoops they will want you to jump through.

Agreed, I went there last Friday and was going to buy 3 of the calguns lowers with a friend. They said the information I provided was not good enough.
However, it was good enough for the last 2 fire arms dealers I have dealt with. I bought my AR lower last month and my SA 1911 mil spec with the same information I provided them.

I wont get into details, its their business they can run it how they want. But I don't have to be a part of it and would NOT recommend anyone to that place.

ben_r_
02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I have seen stripped lowers at TDS as cheap as $79.

markslyon
02-23-2011, 8:34 AM

I'm curious, why the issues there? I've never had a problem there.

PlacerTactical
02-23-2011, 9:29 AM
Hello,

I am trying to find a OLL friendly FFL for an out of state transfer for a stripped lower. I went through Snellings for my first one but I believe he is retired now.

I need to buy 4 lowers and I really like the cal guns one and would prefer to pick one up locally. Are there any shops in the sacramento area that stock them besides sacramento black rifle?

Thanks,

If you want to come up to Lincoln, I can handle the transfer for you. If I'm too far, head over to Robbie Betts.
I can also get the Calguns lowers in as well.

Sacramento Black Rifle
02-23-2011, 9:53 AM
Agreed, I went there last Friday and was going to buy 3 of the calguns lowers with a friend. They said the information I provided was not good enough.
However, it was good enough for the last 2 fire arms dealers I have dealt with. I bought my AR lower last month and my SA 1911 mil spec with the same information I provided them.

I wont get into details, its their business they can run it how they want. But I don't have to be a part of it and would NOT recommend anyone to that place.

Documentation talks and you know the rest of the saying. We are a new FFL and I am not going to bend the rules for anyone. If you think because other shops sold you a firearm without the proper documents and it would be ok for me to do the same YOU are wrong, not us. If you would like to talk to us further about what is need feel free to contact the shop or call DOJ.

ChrisTKHarris
02-23-2011, 9:55 AM

Documentation talks and you know the rest of the saying. We are a new FFL and I am not going to bend the rules for anyone. If you think because other shops sold you a firearm without the proper documents and it would be ok for me to do the same YOU are wrong, not us. If you would like to talk to us further about what is need feel free to contact the shop or call DOJ.

What documentation did your friend take to SBR to purchase his lowers? Lay out the situation.

supersonic
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
When did this happen?

Bob retired at the end of 2010 and handed his business over to a kid who is a friend of the family. IIAC, everything will be the same (prices, availability, vendors he deals with, etc.)....the only thing that will be glaringly missing is Bob. He will be sorely missed by many (myself included).:(

BigNick
02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I have never had a problem with Sacramento Black Rifle, I have bought several lowers from him and Im buying a pistol this weekend. He has the best prices in town and he will make sure you are taken care of.

Sacramento Black Rifle
02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I can honestly say if one of my staff had made an error in the process I would love to hear about it. We can only learn from our mistakes, and through education. Most people can understand the logic behind rules however some people will never understand. Instead of throwing my shop on the cross let’s get the facts. Customer service is our number one goal. No matter how hard we try someone somehow will seem to have gotten the raw end of some deal that is unfortunate. So please I want to know what paper work we turned down. So everyone gets educated.

Paul_R
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I can honestly say if one of my staff had made an error in the process I would love to hear about it. We can only learn from our mistakes, and through education. Most people can understand the logic behind rules however some people will never understand. Instead of throwing my shop on the cross let’s get the facts. Customer service is our number one goal. No matter how hard we try someone somehow will seem to have gotten the raw end of some deal that is unfortunate. So please I want to know what paper work we turned down. So everyone gets educated.

Sounds like a fair proposition to me. Let's break out the Festivus pole and air our grievances! :D

NLB23
02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I love Sacramento Black Rifle

markslyon
02-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I like everyone there except Rob :D

NLB23
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Ya and the Ginger

javalos
02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Hello,

Thanks,
Snelling's is retiring, but Snelling's Firearms will still live on under new management...LG Firearms under Chris Lenert and Brent Gentilcore, their number is 916-206-0183 or 916-266-1502. Same place as Snellings, but it will be different hours. I could say Snellings will still be around through March, but after that I probably will expect the new owners to assume control of the business.

rsrocket1
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
The guys at SBR have bent over backwards to help me out even when I came in for low profit nit-picky things like AR springs, retaining pins and other parts. I don't know about FFL transfers, but these guys have never seemed to be like the stereotypical "know-it-all" gun shop dudes. I've been happy with their service.

BigNick
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I know that Rob and the guys at SBR have helped me out with the TM 308 group buy and have been very easy to work with and professional. Rob takes customer service above and beyond most other gun stores in town, if there was a problem he will make it right.

Hozr
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM

I had the exact same scenario.

Rob, if you can point me to the code that states I must have a current car registration with my residence listed on it to buy a gun I will give you another chance. However, I am 100% confident that your employees have no idea what they are talking about. I brought in more than sufficient documentation as LISTED on the 4473 yet they still couldn't figure it out. Since when does someone have to own a car to buy a gun? Current CDL WITH DMV address verification H6 (no, it does not have an expiration date on it - where is that code as well?). Current Utility Bill, Department ID, HSC, Past DROS from a month ago. Oh, and my 03FFL wasn't good enough either? My bad :rolleyes:.

Additionally, lying to the customer to sell them what you want as opposed to what the customer wants is no way to score points. I asked for a G27 with night sights and your guy said they aren't available - just ordered one. Sorry, maybe he didn't lie, maybe he's incompetent.

I drove 3 hours to buy from a local'ish dealer. My mistake. I will send everyone I know to TDS, RCGE, JustGuns, GSTactical, you name it. I won't ruin my reputation referring them to your shop.

Good Luck

Scott Connors
02-23-2011, 1:07 PM
I love Sacramento Black Rifle

I wouldn't say love, but I am very fond of them; they are definitely my favorite gun shop in the area. They are friendly and knowledgeable.

NLB23
02-23-2011, 1:08 PM
There was no lying involved in any of what you are posting. Glock NO LONGER manufactures guns with night sights and if you found one with night sights it was a old one. You presented your ID with a Wrong address and your vehicle reg was also wrong and as for the FFL that was nonexistent and wouldn't have mattered anyway. On your first trip to the shop you were told of all the things that you needed and then when you came back with the wrong documents AGAIN you were denied once more. A simple addition of physical address on the reg was all that was needed. Sorry for your inconvenience on a discounted Blue Label Glock maybe I should make up a check list so that this issue doesn't happen in the future.

Sacramento Black Rifle
02-23-2011, 1:10 PM
I had the exact same scenario.

Rob, if you can point me to the code that states I must have a current car registration with my residence listed on it to buy a gun I will give you another chance. However, I am 100% confident that your employees have no idea what they are talking about. I brought in more than sufficient documentation as LISTED on the 4473 yet they still couldn't figure it out. Since when does someone have to own a car to buy a gun? Current CDL WITH DMV address verification H6 (no, it does not have an expiration date on it - where is that code as well?). Current Utility Bill, Department ID, HSC, Past DROS from a month ago. Oh, and my 03FFL wasn't good enough either? My bad :rolleyes:.

Additionally, lying to the customer to sell them what you want as opposed to what the customer wants is no way to score points. I asked for a G27 with night sights and your guy said they aren't available - just ordered one. Sorry, maybe he didn't lie, maybe he's incompetent.

I drove 3 hours to buy from a local'ish dealer. My mistake. I will send everyone I know to TDS, RCGE, JustGuns, GSTactical, you name it. I won't ruin my reputation referring them to your shop.

Good Luck

First off No one ever told you that you had to own a vehicle to purchase a gun. We did tell you that you must have proof of address, from a government agency. Past dros will not work. You never brought in, or mentioned an o3 ffl witch will not work anyhow. As far as the Night sights on the Glock my LE distributor does not have them in stock any longer. Glock does not even ship that gun anymore. So as far as us lying to you to sell you what we have in stock NEVER happened.

Garandman13
02-23-2011, 1:17 PM
Nate in SBR looks like a skinhead but is a nice guy and its a great shop

Hozr
02-23-2011, 1:58 PM
First off No one ever told you that you had to own a vehicle to purchase a gun. We did tell you that you must have proof of address, from a government agency. Past dros will not work. You never brought in, or mentioned an o3 ffl witch will not work anyhow. As far as the Night sights on the Glock my LE distributor does not have them in stock any longer. Glock does not even ship that gun anymore. So as far as us lying to you to sell you what we have in stock NEVER happened.

Your counter guy implicitly told me no less than 3 times that nothing other than a vehicle registration with current residence would work. Hell, he even pulled his own out to show me what you wanted. Multiple people witnessed this. I never mentioned the 03 because it didn't matter to you. same reason I never showed you the PG&E Bill. WE NEVER GOT THAT FAR BECAUSE YOU LOCKED UP THAT I DIDN'T HAVE A VEHICLE REGISTRATION. Apparently a watermarked proof of residence from the DMV is not valid because it doesn't have an expiration date? Reread the 4473 instructions for line 20a-identification - "expiration date (if any)" and the instructions for 20b-alternate documentation.

I find it odd that the same documentation almost anywhere else is more than enough but at your shop you are VERY specific in wanting a vehicle registration. Your employee even told me to go to the DMV or AAA to have it changed. Does the phrase, "This is your golden ticket," sound familiar?

As far as the 27, I ordered it yesterday. I'm curious why you asked me which 27 I wanted then said they only offer the standard. Why ask if there is no other option? Maybe you need a different distributor? Either way, I'm getting what I want and I no longer have to deal with your misinformation.

I have been in your shop 5 times and 4 of those times I swore I would never return. This time neither will anyone else that asks me for a reference - which is often. I don't feel at this time you really understand what you are doing; as you stated you're a new FFL.

I'm glad you have satisfied customers. I am not one of them.

NLB23
02-23-2011, 2:21 PM
Its hard to explain things that will work as correct documents to people that get pissed and don't listen to what you have to say to them. PG&E bill doesn't work for address change as you were told in the shop. As for 20A your DL wasn't current and since you came in on a day that ATF was closed no one could call and verify. I'm not going to get verbally assaulted by ATF over something like that. Better safe than sorry. I'm glad for you that you got that gun ordered the way you wanted it that's awesome. I do offer the Glock in 2 versions one is od green (which is also discontinued) and the other all black.

Sacramento Black Rifle
02-23-2011, 2:24 PM
[QUOTE=Hozr;5874182]Your counter guy implicitly told me no less than 3 times that nothing other than a vehicle registration with current residence would work. Hell, he even pulled his own out to show me what you wanted. Multiple people witnessed this. I never mentioned the 03 because it didn't matter to you. same reason I never showed you the PG&E Bill. WE NEVER GOT THAT FAR BECAUSE YOU LOCKED UP THAT I DIDN'T HAVE A VEHICLE REGISTRATION. Apparently a watermarked proof of residence from the DMV is not valid because it doesn't have an expiration date? Reread the 4473 instructions for line 20a-identification - "expiration date (if any)" and the instructions for 20b-alternate documentation.

I find it odd that the same documentation almost anywhere else is more than enough but at your shop you are VERY specific in wanting a vehicle registration. Your employee even told me to go to the DMV or AAA to have it changed. Does the phrase, "This is your golden ticket," sound familiar?

As far as the 27, I ordered it yesterday. I'm curious why you asked me which 27 I wanted then said they only offer the standard. Why ask if there is no other option? Maybe you need a different distributor? Either way, I'm getting what I want and I no longer have to deal with your misinformation.

I have been in your shop 5 times and 4 of those times I swore I would never return. This time neither will anyone else that asks me for a reference - which is often. I don't feel at this time you really understand what you are doing; as you stated you're a new FFL.

I'm glad you have satisfied customers. I am not one of them.[/QUOTE

I guess we agree to disagree on this one. As far as the 27 you, can buy a Blue Label or a commercial. That is the difference, and because you do this every day I am sure you know the laws more than my counter guys. If you know of another LE Blue Label distributors that have the night sights I am all ears. But I am sure Glock knows something that you don’t. I am done with the he said she said.

animossity
02-23-2011, 3:45 PM

I went to your shop because I heard good things about it on here. I went in there to buy 3 calguns lowers and depending on your accessories/components you stocked I was going to buy a trigger kit, ctr stock, tube, grip etc.. enough to complete at least 2 lowers with magpul accessories in FDE and Black. I had a friend with me who wanted to buy a stripped lower as well to build his first AR.

I told the clerk what I wanted and laid down my drivers license for him as well as my DMV card that shows my current addresse. He told me it was not valid and couldn't really tell me why either. I was annoyed because this was NO PROBLEM at Snellings on my last AR and at Wild Bills for my pistol. I then asked what else would be sufficient and he said car registration with my name on it.

Problem is I was driving my wife's car and I am not on the registration. I asked if he could still do it since I drove almost 2 hours to get there, then bring MY truck registration on pickup day that shows my current addresse. No harm done since if I don't come through they dont have to release it to me. On top of that I had the following docuementation with me that was not good enough for them:

Drivers license with DMV card that shows current addresse
Paystub's with current address,
government tax papers that shows current addresse
Sacramento revenue and recovery invoice that shows current addresse
2 utility bills that shows current addresse

My SS# is plastered over half these docuements and I had my SS card as well. When I asked the guy if he could still do it with the docuementation I had on me listed above and me bringing back my truck registration on pickup day. He literally laughed about it and said we can't do that then walked off back to BSing with someone about the Magpul videos.

I was treated like I'm some tacticool dickwad there to buy a flashlight or a DVD, I came in there to buy alot of ****. I was honestly suprised since I heard good things about this place on here, that's why I drove so far to begin with. My decision was made that I would buy elsewhere and not return after that experience.

I fully understand the logic of the rules, they are there for a reason. I have purchased from several FFL's and other retail stores with the same docuements, ZERO of them had an issue except YOUR STORE. I purchased 4 Noveske lowers with a ton of other parts this morning from a local gun store in Lodi. I provided them the same docuementation as your store which was perfectly acceptable for them. The best part is I wasn't treated like a total douche bag either. Like I said earlier its your business you can run it how you want, but that is the first I have ever heard of someone not accepting these docuements. I am not trying to throw your shop on the cross cause we need more gun stores in norcal. You asked for the facts I am simply stating what exactly what went down in there.

robgon
02-23-2011, 4:44 PM
No need to argue, I have been to all of those retailers becuase I am trying to build my first AR and I am telling you GOLDEN STATE TACTICAL has the best customer service BY FAR. All of the other shops seemed like you need to be a pro to shop there. Robby is VERY personable and is easy to talk to if you don't know everything about AR but want to buy one.

Sacramento Black Rifle
02-23-2011, 4:51 PM
I went to your shop because I heard good things about it on here. I went in there to buy 3 calguns lowers and depending on your accessories/components you stocked I was going to buy a trigger kit, ctr stock, tube, grip etc.. enough to complete at least 2 lowers with magpul accessories in FDE and Black. I had a friend with me who wanted to buy a stripped lower as well to build his first AR.

I told the clerk what I wanted and laid down my drivers license for him as well as my DMV card that shows my current addresse. He told me it was not valid and couldn't really tell me why either. I was annoyed because this was NO PROBLEM at Snellings on my last AR and at Wild Bills for my pistol. I then asked what else would be sufficient and he said car registration with my name on it.

Problem is I was driving my wife's car and I am not on the registration. I asked if he could still do it since I drove almost 2 hours to get there, then bring MY truck registration on pickup day that shows my current addresse. No harm done since if I don't come through they dont have to release it to me. On top of that I had the following docuementation with me that was not good enough for them:

Drivers license with DMV card that shows current addresse
Paystub's with current address,
government tax papers that shows current addresse
Sacramento revenue and recovery invoice that shows current addresse
2 utility bills that shows current addresse

My SS# is plastered over half these docuements and I had my SS card as well. When I asked the guy if he could still do it with the docuementation I had on me listed above and me bringing back my truck registration on pickup day. He literally laughed about it and said we can't do that then walked off back to BSing with someone about the Magpul videos.

I was treated like I'm some tacticool dickwad there to buy a flashlight or a DVD, I came in there to buy alot of ****. I was honestly suprised since I heard good things about this place on here, that's why I drove so far to begin with. My decision was made that I would buy elsewhere and not return after that experience.

I fully understand the logic of the rules, they are there for a reason. I have purchased from several FFL's and other retail stores with the same docuements, ZERO of them had an issue except YOUR STORE. I purchased 4 Noveske lowers with a ton of other parts this morning from a local gun store in Lodi. I provided them the same docuementation as your store which was perfectly acceptable for them. The best part is I wasn't treated like a total douche bag either. Like I said earlier its your business you can run it how you want, but that is the first I have ever heard of someone not accepting these docuements. I am not trying to throw your shop on the cross cause we need more gun stores in norcal. You asked for the facts I am simply stating what exactly what went down in there.

None of what you are talking about works to change the address period. If another ffl wants to do that that is fine it doesn’t make it right or legal sorry. YOU never got treated like a” tacticool dickwad” I hope you got what you wanted elsewhere, but like I said I will not bend the rules for you or anyone. Everyone gets the same treatment no matter who you are PERIOD.

Ak707
02-23-2011, 5:09 PM
Just go to GStactical. I've never ever heard anyone say anything but good things about him. I've dealt with him several times and im 110% happy with the services he provides. I'll never go anywhere elce as long as he's still in business..

vf111
02-23-2011, 6:00 PM
Bob retired at the end of 2010 and handed his business over to a kid who is a friend of the family. IIAC, everything will be the same (prices, availability, vendors he deals with, etc.)....the only thing that will be glaringly missing is Bob. He will be sorely missed by many (myself included).:(

+1. Bob is a true gentleman and will sorely be missed....that said, I am happy for him because I could tell he was burning out (especially during the Obama-scare) and this gives him the chance to really enjoy his retirement!

markslyon
02-23-2011, 6:28 PM
Went I went to SBR Nate tried to touch my balloon knot.

NLB23
02-23-2011, 6:39 PM
No comment

ke6guj
02-23-2011, 6:51 PM

why won't an 03FFL with your current address on it work. I have used it to prove CA residency on mulitple occasions while buying a handgun.

NLB23
02-23-2011, 6:54 PM
Misprint on the FFL not working..... It was just never mentioned.

ke6guj
02-23-2011, 6:55 PM
gotcha

animossity
02-23-2011, 7:00 PM
None of what you are talking about works to change the address period. If another ffl wants to do that that is fine it doesn’t make it right or legal sorry. YOU never got treated like a” tacticool dickwad” I hope you got what you wanted elsewhere, but like I said I will not bend the rules for you or anyone. Everyone gets the same treatment no matter who you are PERIOD.

K so I guess the last 5 FFL's I've gone through the past 8 months are breaking the law then.

YOU never got treated like a” tacticool dickwad”
Customer service is our number one goal.

My mistake, it must have have been that that number one customer service. :rolleyes:

Everyone gets the same treatment no matter who you are PERIOD.

Wrong.

It's no longer an issue I got what I needed, at least I don't have to drive as far now to pick them up after 10 days.

+1. Bob is a true gentleman and will sorely be missed....that said, I am happy for him because I could tell he was burning out (especially during the Obama-scare) and this gives him the chance to really enjoy his retirement!

Agreed, I met with him early December and he was a class act. I talked with him over an hour and about his retirement. I remember him mentioning the guy takin over was in law enforcement and was having some issues being a FFL and running a firearms store. The city was saying it was a conflict of interest etc..