PDA

View Full Version : Tapco Products For AK

949S_GP100
02-22-2011, 1:25 PM
Does anyone have FIRST HAND experience with any of the Tapco hand guards, I know some traditionalist will tell me that i should keep it wood and rugged. Do these get too hot? Do they fit well on a WASR 10? Or am I better off buying a UTG Aluminum one?

Thanks in advance for the help, I dont want to spend time with a dremel to install a product only to find it is 1,000 degrees after a 100 rds...

bigthaiboy
02-22-2011, 1:49 PM
I bought one of these off Ebay for $15 ages ago: http://www.tapco.com/products/ak/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=6
Had it on my AK for about 2 weeks, before it came off. I used it with the cover over the lower rails, and it is just plain awkward grip angle. It may work better if you are planning on using a forward grip or Magpul AFG, but I was using it on a featureless rifle, so the forward pistol grip was not an option.

The Tapco "Galil" grip is just plain fugly, as is the UTG rail. I have heard that the UTG rail fits solidly and works fine, I just don't like the odd top rail that sticks out so far forward. IMO, the Midwest Industries is definitely the neatest affordable rail design out there for the AK.

949S_GP100
02-22-2011, 2:03 PM
Thank you BigThaiboy,

the midwest does look nicer but it is also a little pricier and also sold out currently....I guess if the UTG fits well and feels solid I could always cut off the extended top rail... but i agree not the sexiest one on the market.

If Anyone has pictures of their ninja Ak please post and say what you accessories you added please. Thanks!

arsilva32
02-22-2011, 2:25 PM
yes i put the midwest on mine and it fits great ,solid,and looks fantastic.a good buy for a $100 bucks.i just saw the other day they come in dark earth,and olive green now too,i think ill get the DE for my draco.

MrPlink
02-22-2011, 2:30 PM
speak of the devil...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/natehectic/2010-05-30210855.jpg
WASR 10, utg rail (which has a AFG on it now) and tapco (pinned for featureless) butt stock.
Also not pictured, a Russian Kobra sight.

Used to have a Eotech and VFG on the rail, but that got pulled off a long time ago, and I dont have pix.

Im honestly really leaning towards de-mall ninja-ing it. The tapco stock isnt that great, and with the rails in front it makes the gun very nose heavy.
Im considering just switching out to modern polymer furniture all the way arround, maybe a nato length stock over warsaw.

949S_GP100
02-22-2011, 2:57 PM
your AK looks nice, I dont mind the UTG hand guard but I really prefer to keep my WASR stock. Unfortunately the butt stock is too short for me becuase of my height. So I didnt find any fixed stock options that were long enough so instead of having a tapco intrafuse butt stock with wood handguards i thought i would just mall ninja the whole thing...kinda frustrating.

but the gun works like a champ:cool2:

MrPlink
02-22-2011, 3:24 PM
your AK looks nice, I dont mind the UTG hand guard but I really prefer to keep my WASR stock. Unfortunately the butt stock is too short for me becuase of my height. So I didnt find any fixed stock options that were long enough so instead of having a tapco intrafuse butt stock with wood handguards i thought i would just mall ninja the whole thing...kinda frustrating.

but the gun works like a champ:cool2:

Im actually only 5 foot 7 and I find warsaw stocks too short. That was part of my justification of the T6 stock, well that and being a ninja.

SureShot241
02-22-2011, 3:38 PM
speak of the devil...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/natehectic/2010-05-30210855.jpg
WASR 10, utg rail (which has a AFG on it now) and tapco (pinned for featureless) butt stock.
Also not pictured, a Russian Kobra sight.

Used to have a Eotech and VFG on the rail, but that got pulled off a long time ago, and I dont have pix.

Im honestly really leaning towards de-mall ninja-ing it. The tapco stock isnt that great, and with the rails in front it makes the gun very nose heavy.
Im considering just switching out to modern polymer furniture all the way arround, maybe a nato length stock over warsaw.

Can you put an AR-15 stock on the tapco AK stock? like put a magpul stock to replace standard stock?

Shady
02-22-2011, 3:46 PM
everything tapco makes (except g2 trigger groups) is garbage

nicoroshi
02-22-2011, 3:47 PM
Thank you BigThaiboy,

the midwest does look nicer but it is also a little pricier and also sold out currently....I guess if the UTG fits well and feels solid I could always cut off the extended top rail... but i agree not the sexiest one on the market.

If Anyone has pictures of their ninja Ak please post and say what you accessories you added please. Thanks!

Ninja AK pistol:
(built from spare parts I had laying around, and for fun):

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4039/dscn4379f.jpg

Tapco flat
Tapco G2 FCG
Cut, and modified UTG quad rail
Turned down, and cut Yugo barrel
Egyptian parts kit
Hogue grip
AR-15 stock sling loop flipped upside down, and attached below pistol grip for single point sling attachment
Romanian UF rear trunnion
KVAR GB/FSB combo
Bulgarian 4 piece FH
Vortex SPARC red dot.
Home made mag lock, and 10/20 mag.

For as spare parts together as it is the groupings are good, and a fun gun to shoot.

Ninja enough for ya?