PDA

View Full Version : Tools for C&R guns

Gromulin
09-25-2006, 2:51 PM
So, much to my Wife's dismay, the collection is on the grow and a safe is on the way. (Did'nt even mean to make that rhyme...)

I've aquired a muzzle-wear guage for .30 cal and I'd like to get a good set of 30-06 headspace guages and throat erosion guages for '03, M(14, 1A) and M1. Any suggestion as to brand-names for guages, and best place to buy? I've seen good things about Clymer headspace guages, but cant find a "field" guage by clymer. I've checked Brownells and Midway...any suggestions? Any other good multi-purpose tools I should be on the lookout for? Is the (M1, M14,1A) bolt-dissasembly tool worth the price?

I see myself having a couple M1's, M1 carbines and '03s along with a few Mausers and at least one K31. A few Colt 1911 pistols down the line too.

Any links or suggestions greatly appreciated!

milsurplover
09-25-2006, 4:20 PM
Forster makes a field gauge. I don't know anything about the quality or value of these but came across them while looking at M1's on www.gunbroker.com. You can go on that site and search for these tools.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57114504

ocabj
09-25-2006, 6:40 PM
I bought my .30-06 field gauge straight from Clymer. Called them directly to order. Don't bother with getting a field gauge made with the extractor cut. Always strip the bolt. I tried to headspace with a complete bolt and I still got too much feedback from the extractor.

Speaking of the bolt, yes, the bolt tool is pretty hand to have. I've disassembled and reassembled many Garand bolts without the tool, but it's so much easier to have the tool. I bought it from the CMP.

As far as throat erosion gauges, get the Stone Axe gauges. I have them for the M1 and M1903. TE and MW gauge on the same tool. Why carry two tools when you can carry one?

icormba
09-25-2006, 6:49 PM
I use the 30.06 Clymer's sold by the CMP. I REALLY like the extractor cuts... especially when I have to check all those M1's ;)

I have the Forster's for .308, 8mm, & 7.62x54r and they work well too. I think I ordered right from Forster?

NRAhighpowershooter
09-25-2006, 10:25 PM
For a good TE gauge that will work with 03's Garands and M1A's , 40'x's M-70's etc, etc ,get the one that Brownells has.. you have to buy the spacers to be used with the various 30 cal Military rifles.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=82&title=THROAT+EROSION+GAUGE