PDA

View Full Version : Hunting regs

Ricefighter
09-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Maybe I'm internet incompetent, but I can't find anything that states the regs for how much and when to wear orange for california hunting. I searched through the regs on the DFG website, but found nothing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the california license does NOT come with a deer tag? Do I have to buy a deer stamp seperately?

chris
09-25-2006, 11:18 AM
i have not worn blaze orange. you do have to buy a deer tag unfortunately.
good luck. wearing orange in some areas would not be a bad idea due to the crowd you may encounter and the idiot factor that may come into play.

anotherone
09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Fortunately there is no hunter orange requirement in California. However, just because it's not illegal not to wear it doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it sometimes. Although I don't wear hunter orange for turkey and deer hunting, I wear it while hunting doves, and while placing/picking up decoys. Repeat after me: "I will put on my hunter orange vest and hat when I put my turkey decoy out in the field, turkey hunters are insane psychopaths who will shoot at my decoy if they don't see me in orange".

As far as stamps go just get your duck stamp and upland game stamp and you're good for everything except deer. You won't be hunting any deer in 2006 unless you do so with a bow. If you wanted any general deer season tags you should have applied back in April '06. Fortunately though if you get right on top of it you might be able to get tags for 2007.

jmlivingston
09-25-2006, 1:32 PM
There is no law here in CA requiring the use of Hunter Orange when out in the field hunting. Personally, I always wear it usually a vest as well as a hat. On occasion I'll step down to just the hat.

John

Ricefighter
09-25-2006, 2:35 PM
whoaa...wasn't expecting that.

Yeah I've always worn a hat and vest, except during archery, when you need 100 square inches within a few feet of your stand (if you use one). Just getting used to different laws.

metalhead357
09-25-2006, 7:26 PM
whoaa...wasn't expecting that.

Yeah I've always worn a hat and vest, except during archery, when you need 100 square inches within a few feet of your stand (if you use one). Just getting used to different laws.

Nope, just as the others have said- no requirement......
But stay in the practice; its a GOOD thing on public land here as there ARE too many trigger happy gents in some areas~ and I've been up your way for Birds;)

So wherest was this place ya' hailed from that regulated the orange?

As for deer, only allowed two IF YOU BUY TWO TAGS, buy one and you're only allowed one. They do have archery only tags~ other tags are usually General and/or archery (Gun while general, Archery only when archery) but depends on the zone. X zones done by lottery. Last tid bit, there are verrrrrry few either sex hunts---and they are 'special hunts' so in the rest of the state is pretty much Forked horn or better.

IIRC Yuba should be "D" zone.

Rumpled
09-26-2006, 9:12 AM
As mentioned, CA has no orange requirement, though it is often wise.

As far as a license, you still need to get a tag or stamp for almost anything you'd like to hunt. I think the only current exceptions are coyote, ground squirrel and starlings. (Maybe also some furbearers but NOT bobcat)

Deer - need tags, can get two. Some zones are still available at DFG offices, check the website for what is still available. Generally, you apply for these in the June lottery.

Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, Antelope - tags needed, all sold out in lottery in June.

Bobcat - need tags, mail in to DFG.

Pigs - need tags, can get at sporting goods stores or DFG.

Ducks, Geese, Brant - Need State and Federal stamps, sign the Federal across the face. (also need HIP stamp)

Bear - can get one tag. Might still be available.

Dove, quail, turkey, band-tail pigeon, chukar, pheasant, grouse, ptarmigan(sp?), snipe (others?) need upland game stamp available at sporting goods stores or DFG (also need HIP stamp)

Welcome, and good luck learning a whle new set of rules.
(Also, no 5 round restriction on rifles - just 3 round on shotguns)

Ricefighter
09-26-2006, 2:30 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll try getting a deer tag next year. Aren't they like $20 or something? That's damn near 50 bucks total!

moulton
09-26-2006, 4:15 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll try getting a deer tag next year. Aren't they like $20 or something? That's damn near 50 bucks total!

you are complaining? For a non resident antelope tag up in montana I had to pay $200 for tag plus about $25 for licence and other "fees" :( :o

Ricefighter
09-26-2006, 7:58 PM
Well hey, towing a trailer at 55 was a shock to me as well! In PA, you can get your license for 20 dollars, which gives you a deer tag, bear tag, and two turkey tags. Non-resident always screws you, but that's the price you have to pay. Was it worth it to you? That's what really counts.

M. Sage
09-26-2006, 8:40 PM
Blaze orange is a good idea, especially when you're out for deer, since they can't see it anyway. :P Better to wear it and be safe, IMO.

In case anybody wonders, I've had a deer look right at me from 10 yds away several times without noticing me, I was wearing cold-weather overall-type pants and a coat, all painfully, brightly orange. :D

Never saw me, but could certainly HEAR me every time I wanted to lift that shotgun....