PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hear your choices for 16" Mid AR Uppers

protoolsnerd
02-21-2011, 5:32 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just want to hear a sounding off about people's favorite uppers in the AR 16" mid AR market.

I finally decided to go with and LMT lower...how can you go wrong with a really solid SOPMOD stock, 2 stage trigger and a tough as nails receiver for $540 bucks!!! Shooooot that stock/buffer and the trigger alone are almost that much...so i highly recommend it .

As uppers go..... I'm torn between CMMG ( on the cheaper side ) , BCM, LMT, Spike's , DelTon......

I'm not looking to go over $500 for it considering i'm about that much on my lower.

ps . I'm leaning towards BCM thanks to Kingpin S.C.

Noah3683
02-21-2011, 5:38 PM
On your list:
1. BCM
2. LMT
3. Spike's
4. CMMG
5. DelTon

My list:
1. Noveske (way out of that price range)
2. BCM
3. Daniel Defense
4. LMT
5. Spike's

Realistically the best option you have is BCM at about $550 then Spikes at $500. LMT's can be found in that range, but are generally over $600

eclipse
02-21-2011, 5:44 PM
I have the CMMG 16" midlength upper and it works great. If I had more money now I think I would go with a BCM, but on a budget CMMG is great.

motoballer
02-21-2011, 6:12 PM
I have a BCM mid length and it has been flawless over 2k rounds. Then again I'm sure most uppers nowadays will run perfectly too.

protoolsnerd
02-21-2011, 6:18 PM
Echoing my thoughts exactly Noah. The Noveske would be amazing but def way out of my price range....up there with Armalite and a few others.

The BCM really sounds like the way to go. Awesome to hear about it's performance for you Motoballer. What do you primarily shoot out of it? 55 gr 223? What is the twist rate of your upper? I'm leaning towards a 1 in 8" as opposed to 1 in 9. I do some reloading and i may want to use heavier projectiles. I have to see if BCM offers that twist rate in their barrels.

jkcerda
02-21-2011, 6:22 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just want to hear a sounding off about people's favorite uppers in the AR 16" mid AR market.

I finally decided to go with and LMT lower...how can you go wrong with a really solid SOPMOD stock, 2 stage trigger and a tough as nails receiver for $540 bucks!!! Shooooot that stock/buffer and the trigger alone are almost that much...so i highly recommend it .

As uppers go..... I'm torn between CMMG ( on the cheaper side ) , BCM, LMT, Spike's , DelTon......

I'm not looking to go over $500 for it considering i'm about that much on my lower.

ps . I'm leaning towards BCM thanks to Kingpin S.C.

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_100_158_169&products_id=392&zenid=eojkqns1eaqs1ujfe8oemtj1t5

ordered this one recently, decent reviews and GREAT customer service when i called.

Outta Control
02-21-2011, 6:25 PM
My Choices are:

1) MEGA Machine Monolithic Upper
2) Vltor VIS
3) Noveske
4) BMC
5) Daniel Defense

Sick Boy
02-21-2011, 6:29 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5172/5467308684_88dde6512b_o.gif to BCM!!

protoolsnerd
02-21-2011, 7:02 PM
I think i've decided on this one from BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-YHM-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20yhm12.htm

I just don't need those massive rails, unfortunately it's the cheapest way to get that awesome barrel. It's a 1 in 7" . Can that kind of twist rate fire the cheaper lighter gr bullets? They do have one that a 1 in 8" but it's not quite as beefy as this one.

GunzNHoses89
02-21-2011, 7:16 PM
I just got a Stag 3h that I'm happy with. $465 from m4store.net. great customer service in my experience.

1forall
02-21-2011, 7:20 PM
Riflegear midlength 16" upper.

Jasonaspears
02-21-2011, 7:22 PM
I bought the Spikes mid...

i<3HK
02-21-2011, 7:28 PM
Noveske! :D

Jasonaspears
02-21-2011, 7:30 PM
Noveske! :D

Where can I find one of those for around $500??? :D

RaceDay
02-21-2011, 7:46 PM
Noah's list is pretty spot on. I got the Spikes 16" middy in the sale last year. Next upper, if I get another one, will be BCM or Spikes 14.5" LW.

You selected good options in your price range.

RT13
02-21-2011, 8:09 PM
Best for your money would be BCM, Riflegear then Daniel Defense.

Alanski56
02-21-2011, 8:22 PM
Boy! I guess Rock River Arms is so passe'. I own two of their mid length uppers and would not have a second thought about buying a third.

supermario
02-21-2011, 8:31 PM
I have a Noveske Lightweight Recce and I love it. I had a carbine before and loved it but once i shot the middy, i noticed the difference. Very soft shooting.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrb-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Arisaka
02-21-2011, 8:46 PM
I love my del-ton!!!! Take the savings and buy a Romy g kit......

protoolsnerd
02-21-2011, 8:59 PM
Much appreciation for the noveske suggestions but this thread is mostly focused on a cost effective solution for an upper that isn't bottom of the barrel. Anything made by noveske will certainly be too much

As the options that are left. I've checked out daniel defense .... any plus or minus to them over the BCM....time to check out rock river and rifle gear.....

supermario
02-21-2011, 9:10 PM
Well if you already dropped $540 on a nice lower, why not just wait a couple more months and save up to get a very nice upper? Usually people skimp on the lower and spend more $$ on the upper where it should count more. You obviously understand that sometimes you get what you pay for, so you should just wait a lil bit and get something you really want and not something that you are settling for! Thats my opinion. And Im not saying all those other Ar uppers arent good, Im just saying if you would like a Noveske or Armalite, BCM etc, just wait and save $ for one.

FYI, BCM is a great product and they are very reasonably priced. BCM prices are probably the same as or close to the price of RRA, DelTon, etc

OutlawDon
02-21-2011, 9:19 PM
Just get the BCM. Proven, good price, and works well.

Something that's double the price or half the price won't function any better or differently.

Don29palms
02-21-2011, 9:21 PM
If I had an LMT lower I would use an LMT upper.

evol ways
02-21-2011, 9:58 PM
I just ordered the Vlotr VIS BCM upper middy. Will be coming in on thurs. Looks like a very solid peice.

evidens83
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
You spent big bucks on the lower but you dont want to for the upper :confused:

+1 BCM

vintagearms
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I did the opposite. Bought a less expensive RRA lower and spent the money where it really counts, barrel and trigger. But since you have $500 or so on the upper I'd suggest BCM or RRA for the upper.

Fadedline
02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
I went with a BCM mid length. Gets here on Friday:gunsmilie:

RONIN.
02-21-2011, 11:01 PM
If I had an LMT lower I would use an LMT upper.

my thoughts exactly.. but then again.. i have mixed an matched many of mine.. so..

but if i had spent the money on a lmt lower.. id get a lmt upper..

Kingpin.SC
02-21-2011, 11:10 PM
What about this one? Same barrel/upper, no rail:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

You can always find a mid-length standard, magpul, or virtually any other hand guard to slap on it..

JJ1911
02-21-2011, 11:58 PM
I also spent less money on the lower. It was 100 dollars! I picked up a noveske n4 for 650, not bad considering they are harder to come by. If I didn't get the steal on the noveske I would have gotten BCM.

protoolsnerd
02-22-2011, 2:16 AM
Well to justify my lower purchase being more pricey then usual..... I figure this. I have a really solid platform that i won't need to upgrade.....at least for a good long while. The sopmod stock alone is 200 plus the buffer etc....2 stage trigger....also pricey..... So in essence I got an LMT lower for around $100. And added some really nice parts to it. Oh yeah and the ergo grip. BONUS

As the upper goes....i have zero qualms about getting BCM. I really like their track record...the materials seem to be of top quality. A whole ton of calgunners swear by them. Great options like 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist ratios. Dif options as far as barrel coatings, rail configs. They are a solid mid-upper grade company.

This will be my first foray in the land of AR so i wanted somewhere to go with it. Better barrel.....gas piston eventually....so on and so on...... My next jump is going to be the higher end stuff.....but that won't be for quite a while.

To Kingpin:
I was looking at that upper too. Correct me if i'm wrong but they have slightly different barrels and coatings. I think the cheaper one had a dif twist ratio and the more pricey one had some sort of milspec parts that the cheaper upper didn't. I'm going to go take another look. I was actually eyeing that one before because i don't need those massive rails. I'll be adding a forward grip and that's it. EDIT: Ok just took a look and hot damn!! They're identical !! HURRAY!! That looks like it's going to be my choice then it'll leave me a couple hundred to add rails , the grip, and some magpul mbus sights. Eventually some sort of acog or the like.

UNTIL THEN.......TIME TO SHOOT! I'll hopefully have this gun assembled by mid march....who want to go to angeles range? Oh and PS i'm going to sell a Burris Fastfire 2 Mini red dot sight with a mounting plate for a Springfield XD and a Ruger 10/22 with a Ramline stock, original stock, and small bushnell scope. Hopefully to offset some of those mounting accessory costs.....

iskra31
02-22-2011, 8:13 AM
Del-ton!

protoolsnerd
02-22-2011, 9:01 AM
If i ever need to make another ar at a lower budget DelTon would be one of my first choices.....but alas.....sorry DelTon heads......not this time

Kingpin.SC
02-22-2011, 10:59 AM
To Kingpin:
EDIT: Ok just took a look and hot damn!! They're identical !! HURRAY!! That looks like it's going to be my choice then it'll leave me a couple hundred to add rails , the grip, and some magpul mbus sights. Eventually some sort of acog or the like.

UNTIL THEN.......TIME TO SHOOT! I'll hopefully have this gun assembled by mid march....who want to go to angeles range?

Nice! That is the exact one that I picked up, and I am extremely happy with it! Headed out to Angeles this last weekend and broke her in. I'm always down to go, so just give me the head's up!

Rebellious
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't recommend putting a CMMG upper on it.

You're going to have to spend $600-675 IMO
Do yourself and your lower a favor and go with DD, BCM or LMT
Look for yourself and see where DD, BCM, and LMT stand in comparison to CMMG, NOT EVEN CLOSE
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

Kingpin.SC
02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting a CMMG upper on it.

You're going to have to spend $600-675 IMO
Do yourself and your lower a favor and go with DD, BCM or LMT
Look for yourself and see where DD, BCM, and LMT stand in comparison to CMMG, NOT EVEN CLOSE
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

That spreadsheet definitely influenced my decision to go with BCM. For the minute difference in price, you do get a whole lot more.. and their ridiculously fast shipping. Placed my order on 2/1/2011 at 6:15 PM, and it arrived on 02/09/2011 at 1:21 PM.. the only reason why it didn't come sooner was the weekend in between.

protoolsnerd
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Wow i'm really glad that I in essence wrote off CMMG early on..... it's unreal what it doesn't have. On the upside i didn't know colt was as good as it is.....I don't know much about their ar's at all. I love my series 70 gold cup 1911 .... but haven't heard too many good things about newer colts.

Kingpin: I'm def game to go to angeles....I usually go to the long range rifle side and have fun with my Rem 700 then pop over to the metal target for some nice DINGs!!!! I was thinking of going on half price thursday as long as swat isn't on the rifle range.

Have you shot at the silhouette gallery? I have yet to go up there. What else do you like to shoot?

EDIT:

Just ordered that BCM upper you linked me to earlier!! So excited. Now i just have to choose rails , hand guards, and a forward grip. Oh , i never checked , it doesn't come with a " flash hider " does it

Kingpin.SC
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow i'm really glad that I in essence wrote off CMMG early on..... it's unreal what it doesn't have. On the upside i didn't know colt was as good as it is.....I don't know much about their ar's at all. I love my series 70 gold cup 1911 .... but haven't heard too many good things about newer colts.

Kingpin: I'm def game to go to angeles....I usually go to the long range rifle side and have fun with my Rem 700 then pop over to the metal target for some nice DINGs!!!! I was thinking of going on half price thursday as long as swat isn't on the rifle range.

Have you shot at the silhouette gallery? I have yet to go up there. What else do you like to shoot?

EDIT:

Just ordered that BCM upper you linked me to earlier!! So excited. Now i just have to choose rails , hand guards, and a forward grip. Oh , i never checked , it doesn't come with a " flash hider " does it

Congrats!! It comes with the standard a2 flash hider.

I usually hit the rifle side of Angeles as well. Haven't really been anywhere else except for the Firing Line in Northridge. Rented out some pistols that I had interest in purchasing, just to see how they felt. My AR is my first firearm, but I am torn between picking up a Sig 2022 or a Saiga 7.62... I keep going back and forth, and might just have to flip a coin to make that decision.. haha

Noah3683
02-22-2011, 1:55 PM

EDIT:

You made a good choice. I love my Noveske for it's barrel and beautiful finish, but I still love the BCM middy too, and yes it comes with a standard A2 flash hider.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/P4270320.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/STH72385.jpg

protoolsnerd
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Love that second configuration. Pretty much what i want to do. Now just curious , how can you have the forward grip with a flash hider .... or do we just call it a muzzle break? What rail companies do you like . As of now i only want to add a forward grip don't really need a big chunky mono-rail....HA monorail ..... hilarious

Kingpin: I'm a pistol and long rifle shooter .... i've been lucky enough to inherit a few great firearms from my father.... colt 1911 , colt python . Other then that i have a springfield xd for budget friendly shooting and a Rem 700 for long range rifle . I'm a firing line annual member so i go to burbank or northridge sometimes. I was actually thinking of going tomorrow . I just pumped out a batch of reloads that i want to shoot

Anchors
02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Under $500 on your list?
Spike's will get you close.
The others will be at least about $600 after all is said and done.

I have a Spike's LE middy. Never had a jam/FTF/FTE and when I got it from AIM the finish was messed up and Spike's emailed me an RA the same day and within a week I had a new upper. No questions asked.
Can't beat customer service. They are a great company.
That said, I like BCM a lot too (off your list).

Kingpin.SC
02-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Kingpin: I'm a pistol and long rifle shooter .... i've been lucky enough to inherit a few great firearms from my father.... colt 1911 , colt python . Other then that i have a springfield xd for budget friendly shooting and a Rem 700 for long range rifle . I'm a firing line annual member so i go to burbank or northridge sometimes. I was actually thinking of going tomorrow . I just pumped out a batch of reloads that i want to shoot

Nice! You totally lucked out on those!

I am in the market for a pistol right now.. and the 1911 was on my list. I am heavily leaning towards a Sig though.. I almost joined firing line because of the nice deal they give you on rentals and range time. Gotta fire some in the near future so I can see which I like the feel of.

protoolsnerd
02-23-2011, 9:27 AM
What does everyone think of these rails....i'm partial to the first one. Not super chunky and it's not too pricey

http://www.del-ton.com/YHM_Mid_Length_Free_Float_Tube_p/hg1038.htm

http://www.del-ton.com/YHM_Mid_Length_Light_Weight_Free_Float_Tube_p/hg1037.htm

protoolsnerd
02-23-2011, 9:32 AM
Oh man a sig P226-229 both awesome guns....but totally different from shooting a 1911.....if it were me i'd go 1911. I'm having more fun shooting that gun then any handgun before. If you were thiking of those sigs you can find a comparable price on a 1911. Shoot even the low end Kymbers are around 899 and those guns rock! I would check out Para-Ordinance , Kymber, if you can find an older colt or older sprinfield arms they are some fantastic options as 1911s go.

protoolsnerd
02-23-2011, 9:51 AM
Ooooh looks like an amazing price but i'm intrigued by this " Zero Movement " thing

http://www.tacticalaccessories.com/products/viewproduct.php?id_product=561

Noah3683
02-23-2011, 2:30 PM
Love that second configuration. Pretty much what i want to do. Now just curious , how can you have the forward grip with a flash hider .... or do we just call it a muzzle break? What rail companies do you like . As of now i only want to add a forward grip don't really need a big chunky mono-rail....HA monorail ..... hilarious

With the use of a bullet button, and no it is a flash hider. Rails, I like Daniel Defense and Troy. I did troy on the 1st build due to finances. The second one was due to the pinned flash hider on the 14.5" barrel. Troy makes use of the factory barrel nut

missiontrails
02-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Have a BCM Hammer Forged 14.5" middy with A2X perm hider AND CASV-M on the way.....will be in my hand Friday.

jeffrice6
02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
BCM