View Full Version : Special Amador County Shooting Area Cleanup

09-24-2006, 2:04 PM
Leaves 9 AM Saturday October 21

U.S. Forest Service has again asked PLINK for help to clean up shot shells and targets from Tiger Creek Quarry. This is a great 100 yard range accessible much of the winter. This is a good place near Buckhorn on Hwy. 88 for NRA members even from Stockton to learn about and Please Leave it NRA Klean. From Poor Reds BBQ this is about the same distance (52 miles) as it is to Van Horn Pit on North-South Road. Our Amador contact who helped us last time is trying to gather ten volunteers. I bet him that we could match that. Many of you have done aplenty already so do not hesitate to sit this one out. All I will lose with this bet is whatever happens to me after I give him ten minutes to raise a crowd in front of J.C Penny's.

If you choose to help, PLINK will buy your breakfast at the Firehouse Cafe in Diamond Springs at 7:30 AM.

If joining our convoy is out of your way go up Hwy. 88 about 18 miles east of Jackson to Buckorn, turn south (right) on Tiger Creek Road. At the Reservoir keep going east above the PG&E houses on the one lane paved Salt Springs Road for a bit over one mile. Then turn right 500 yards down into the quarry.

Please let me know if you will come so that I know how many lunches etc. to order.

PLINK is a cooperative program of the NRA Members Council, El Dorado Rod & Gun Club, and the USFS.

Steve Morgan phone 530-620-3946, or

09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
You guys did a fantastic job up in the El Dorado National Forest. I'd be happy to help out cleaning up the quarry if I can get the day off work. I'll call you later.

09-25-2006, 8:01 AM
That's my spot! I've been wanting to attend one of the NRA cleanups, but can never find anyone else to talk about it. I've been going there for over five years, and it is a special place.

It can be a little bit tricky to find if you haven't been there before, but I'm willing to set up a caravan, say Hwy88 @ Hwy 49 or the Albertson's shopping center parking lot in Martell (right before 49 coming up 88) to help the calgun brothers and sisters who would like to do so. I'll have my truck too.

Private message me and I'll give you my cell number, or leave yours here on the thread and I'll contact you.

Way cool!

09-26-2006, 8:48 PM
Glad to see that others are organizing outdoor cleanups of public shooting spots. This is good news! Keep it up!

09-27-2006, 7:31 AM
It appears as this thread isn't getting the proper exposure to the calguns masses as should be warranted. Perhaps it should be placed in the handguns and/or rifle section(s) as well.

09-30-2006, 7:42 AM
I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person that's responded in the calguns forum.
How many people typically show for the cleanup?
What time should I be at the quarry?
Are any tools needed? Rakes, McCleoud?
Will I be utilizing my truck?
Will there be a construction dumpster?
Are the only people to help with the cleanup from El Dorado County?

09-30-2006, 4:47 PM

Hopefully some people from the Stockton/Lodi area will show up. You can probably expect 5 or so people from the El Dorado Gun Club to be there. They have a core group that does this every month in the Eldorado forest.

BTW, I'm not Steve. I just post these when he emails them to me. Contact him and he might be able to let you know of any people from your area going.

09-30-2006, 6:35 PM
I'll contact Steve via e-mail in the next few days.

10-01-2006, 7:48 AM
Hi guys, that's how I felt about my Panoche thread. There are people who always talk about going shooting on public lands, yet when I posted the Panoche clean-up effort, there were only a few responses. I appreciated the responses, but thought there would be tons more.

Keep it up, I think maybe we should sticky these volunteer cleanup threads so that they don't get lost in the annuls of time.

10-02-2006, 7:35 AM
They should be made stickies. Also, I'm very interested in going to Panoche, but after multiple searches and map searches, I've been unable to find out exactly where the shooting spots are. Hopefully I can tag along with some of you calgun guys on your next outing. I'd have to spend the night because it is a bit far for a one day shoot.