PDA

View Full Version : Angeles: Steel Targets at 100 Yards OK to shoot with 7.62 x 39?

Charles4400
02-21-2011, 8:39 AM
Just wondering if the steel targets at ASR from the Black Benches (all the way to the right) are ok to shoot with 7.62 x39. 100 yards I believe. Non steel core of course.

Just would hate to start shooting and be the one punching holes through the steel as I'm sure the RO's would love that.

If gtg how about using 7.62 x 54r?

69Mach1
02-21-2011, 8:46 AM
Yes on both. However, Angeles has magnetic attracting bullet ban.

Im Broken
02-21-2011, 9:05 AM
Yup, I was there yesterday afternoon shooting my Mini30 and saw a few people shooting aks there as well.

OP, if you can avoid this place do so. I've had bad experiences there with the RO's numerous times. they are like range nazis. I am extremely safe when I go there but sometimes they take it over the top a bit.

massraptor
02-21-2011, 9:27 AM
I go about once a month and ring the plate. It is about 3" thick. But it makes a beautiful sound when on target.

Charles4400
02-21-2011, 9:34 AM
Great all thanks for the feedback...

hcbr
02-21-2011, 9:43 AM
Yep i've seen some guys shoot their 308's there so you shouldn't have a problem with the 7.62x39.

peter95
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
As long as they are not magnetic you are fine.

luckystrike
02-21-2011, 1:54 PM
yup, I guess hot steel will make dirt go up in a flash, they want you to use lead

GM4spd
02-21-2011, 2:47 PM
yup, I guess hot steel will make dirt go up in a flash, they want you to use lead

Joke all you want, but more then one fire has started there from people
using steel jacket(magnetic ammo) during the dry season when they were
prohibited from doing so. Now there is no wet/dry season-- just prohibition all year round for magnetic bullets. Pete

chino
02-21-2011, 7:32 PM
7.62X54r as long as it is not steel cored should be fine. I fired at them with my M1 Garand in 30-06, all I did was remove the black paint from the target.

blikeandy
02-21-2011, 7:34 PM
I'm going to go shoot my new ak in a couple weeks I should be fine if I'm shooting silver bear ammo fmj right?

nrakid88
02-21-2011, 8:05 PM
OP, if you can avoid this place do so. I've had bad experiences there with the RO's numerous times. they are like range nazis. I am extremely safe when I go there but sometimes they take it over the top a bit.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but upon reading the thread title, this was the first thing that popped into my head. I don't know why they are so abrasive most times, takes away from the fun you have at the range.

While A place to shoot is the better alternative, I don't like not being able to practice drawing from my holster and shooting. What good is practice if I can't shoot how I would in a defensive situation. Going to try Desert Marksman, if I don't like that then BLM here I come.

nrakid88
02-21-2011, 8:05 PM
I'm going to go shoot my new ak in a couple weeks I should be fine if I'm shooting silver bear ammo fmj right?

Pretty sure thats magnetic ammo.

BamBam-31
02-21-2011, 8:57 PM
Simple matter to put a fridge magnet to the bullet and see. If it sticks, it's verboten.

As for ASR, when we first started going there, we thought the RO's were less than friendly as well. Once you get to know them a little, however, they're all cool guys. And, it's a fantastic facility. Worth getting to know the staff, that's for sure. My two cents, anyways.

eclipse
02-21-2011, 8:58 PM
Been to angeles a few times and its fun to shoot the steel at 100yds on the right side. Last time I was their I was shooting the steel on the left side but could not hear anything (unlike the right side). I am shooting .223 ammo, anyone else notice this/know why? Thanks.

morfeeis
02-21-2011, 9:29 PM
Been to angeles a few times and its fun to shoot the steel at 100yds on the right side. Last time I was their I was shooting the steel on the left side but could not hear anything (unlike the right side). I am shooting .223 ammo, anyone else notice this/know why? Thanks.
I had no idea you could even shoot 223/556 on the right side, i didn't want to take my AR up there as shooting on the left didn't look to appealing as i couldn't stay next to my wife as she shot pistols. i did have a good time there the few times i have went,although i didn't like the RO picking up and inspecting my 9mm carbine 995TS when therange went cold.

i'd go back in a pinch but i'd rather just take the drive out to Kern county....

Reductio
02-21-2011, 9:33 PM
Yep, anything less than a 50 BMG equivalent is g2g on the black benches.... I've shot .223, 7.62x54R, and .30-06 over there no problem.

SoCal AL
02-21-2011, 9:55 PM
I've been to ASR a few times now and haven't had any of the RSO's act like "range nazi" towards me. I've heard some of them blow up at people over the intercom when the line was cold and people were trying to get to the front benches to grab something, but this has been after being asked multiple times to stay behind the yellow line. If these people can't pay attention to a simple direction about safety, they deserve to get yelled at. It's great to have fun at the range, but safety should be the number #1 priority for the RSOs.

Cokebottle
02-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes on both. However, Angeles has magnetic attracting bullet ban.
Speaking of which....

What is magnetic and what is not, both 7.62 and 5.56?

I bought a buttload of ATI 5.56 62gr, only to find that it's magnetic. Coworker is getting a private range at Burro in May, so I'm assuming I'll need non-magnetic by then.
I ordered a case of XM 55gr, but would have preferred something else.
Problem was, all I was seeing that indicated non-magnetic other than XM was Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear... stuff that I'd really rather not put through my AR.

We need some kind of sticky with a simple spreadsheet of commonly available non-magnetics in various bullet weights.

pacifico23
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
"STAY AWAY FROM THE YELLOW LINE!!" lol. I like Angeles, I didn't know they had steel targets at a 100 yards... I thought they started at the 200 line. Btw I think that older range guy passed away. Too bad, when I first met him he was a "range Nazi" as you guys say. But he ended up helping me immensly when it came to sighting in my bolt action and AR. He was def good people.

Full Clip
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
The steel on the far right range is more 80 yards. I've shot them with x54r and .303 Brit. Your x39 won't leave a dent.

I don't know why they are so abrasive most times, takes away from the fun you have at the range.

They are so because they deal with a seemingly endless stream of bonehead shooters who bristle at being told their are breaking well-posted range rules. I've seen it a billion times up there (and made mistakes myself, earning their attention as well).

morfeeis
02-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Speaking of which....

What is magnetic and what is not, both 7.62 and 5.56?

I bought a buttload of ATI 5.56 62gr, only to find that it's magnetic. Coworker is getting a private range at Burro in May, so I'm assuming I'll need non-magnetic by then.
I ordered a case of XM 55gr, but would have preferred something else.
Problem was, all I was seeing that indicated non-magnetic other than XM was Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear... stuff that I'd really rather not put through my AR.

We need some kind of sticky with a simple spreadsheet of commonly available non-magnetics in various bullet weights.

I thought those where all magnetic? if not ill place my order for some silver bear tonight!

Reductio
02-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I thought those where all magnetic? if not ill place my order for some silver bear tonight!

Wolf and the bears are for sure magnetic, got some in the cans for desert use right now.

Agro
02-21-2011, 11:30 PM
The steel cased ammo (wolf, brown bear, silver bear, etc.) whether lacquer or zinc coated, or not at all will be magnetic. What some ranges don't understand (or care about) is that the projective may still be non-magnetic (and this is what really matters!). They often times don't like you leaving your steel cases there as they cannot reload them and it makes it more of a PITA for them to pick through and resell your brass (or lack there of). So if there was concern, I would think taking a pair of pliers and removing one bullet from your round to test if that is indeed magnetic would seem reasonable to me. But I bet some range's just don't care and will still say no.

Cokebottle
02-23-2011, 6:28 PM
The steel cased ammo (wolf, brown bear, silver bear, etc.) whether lacquer or zinc coated, or not at all will be magnetic. What some ranges don't understand (or care about) is that the projective may still be non-magnetic (and this is what really matters!). They often times don't like you leaving your steel cases there as they cannot reload them and it makes it more of a PITA for them to pick through and resell your brass (or lack there of). So if there was concern, I would think taking a pair of pliers and removing one bullet from your round to test if that is indeed magnetic would seem reasonable to me. But I bet some range's just don't care and will still say no.
Ya, now I was looking for 5.56, not x39, but the description text on Ammunitiontogo indicated that the "bears" and the "dog" were non-magnetic.

As far as picking through the brass... they could just sweep a magnet through their tray and whatever it picks up, throw away.

BamBam-31
02-23-2011, 7:16 PM
The steel on the far right range is more 80 yards. I've shot them with x54r and .303 Brit. Your x39 won't leave a dent.

My laser rangefinder says the big steel gongs at the black benches (far right) are 95 yds. away.