PDA

View Full Version : legal age for possestion

moulton
09-23-2006, 9:39 PM
Ok say I go hunting alone (im 16, almost 17) for boar. Can I legally be alone or do I have to be within a certian distance of a adult? this is considering I was transported to and from the hunting spot by an adult. any difference for rifles or pistols? :confused:

Mudvayne540ld
09-23-2006, 9:44 PM
IIRC:you need to possess a valid hunting liscence first (for the hunting part). Other then that, if you are using a rifle or shotgun, you only need parental permission.

I used to go to the range by myself at age 17 with no problems.

FatKatMatt
09-23-2006, 10:24 PM
There is no minimum age to possess rifles and shotguns, I beleive it is 21 for handguns unless you have written parental consent.

blkA4alb
09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I beleive it is 21 for handguns unless you have written parental consent.
No, a handgun can be transferred to a person 18-20 by their parent. Having parental consent wouldn't mean anything anyways, when you turn 18 your parents have no legal status/control over you.

moulton
09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
you guys got any specific laws? links? need to convince my dad:cool:

FatKatMatt
09-24-2006, 11:13 AM
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=CA

Those are from the NRA

http://www.lcav.org/states/california.asp

Legal Community Against Gun Violence

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html

Office of the Attorney General Firearms Division

I personally use the first two, but the third one is useful if you need to look at the exact letter of the law.

jumbopanda
09-24-2006, 2:37 PM
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ca#juvposs

is pretty useful too, just take the inverse of whatever letter grade they give, and you get the pro-gun grade, i.e kali's A- would be an F+ for us :D a side note: if kali doesnt get an A+, who does? :confused:

actually prior to reading this thread, i never even thought about possession age vs. purchase age, i assumed they would be the same. well that's good news for me, im 17 and i now know that i can go to the range whenever i want :D

Mssr. Eleganté
09-24-2006, 2:45 PM
you guys got any specific laws? links? need to convince my dad:cool:

It looks like your parents only need to be with you if you are using a handgun and under the age of 16.

PC Section 12078(p) talks about when it is ok for somebody to loan a long gun or handgun to a minor...

12078(p)(1) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) and subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the loan of a firearm that is not a handgun to a minor, with the express permission of the parent or legal guardian of the minor, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration and is for a lawful purpose.
(2) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 12072, subdivision (d) of Section 12072, and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 shall not apply to the loan of a handgun to a minor by a person who is not the parent or legal guardian of the minor if all of the following circumstances exist:
(A) The minor has the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian that is presented at the time of, or prior to the time of, the loan, or is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian at the time the loan is made.
(B) The minor is being loaned the firearm for the purpose of engaging in a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(C) The duration of the loan does not exceed the amount of time that is reasonably necessary to engage in the lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(D) The duration of the loan does not, in any event, exceed 10 days.
(3) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a), subdivision (d) of Section 12072, and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 shall not apply to the loan of a handgun to a minor by his or her parent or legal guardian if both of the following circumstances exist:
(A) The minor is being loaned the firearm for the purposes of engaging in a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(B) The duration of the loan does not exceed the amount of time that is reasonably necessary to engage in the lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(4) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a), and subdivision (d), of Section 12072 shall not apply to the transfer or loan of a firearm that is not a handgun to a minor by his or her parent or legal guardian.
(5) Paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the transfer or loan of a firearm that is not a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to a minor by his or her grandparent who is not the legal guardian of the minor if the transfer is done with the express permission of the parent or legal guardian of the minor.

And PC Section 12101 of the says when it is ok for a minor to possess a handgun...

12101. (a)(1) A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(A) The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves this use of a firearm.
(B) The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult, the minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(C) The minor is at least 16 years of age, the minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(D) The minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian, the minor is on lands owned or lawfully possessed by his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(b)(1) A minor shall not possess live ammunition.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(A) The minor has the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian to possess live ammunition.
(B) The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian.
(C) The minor is actively engaged in, or is going to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(c) Every minor who violates this section shall be punished as follows:
(1) By imprisonment in the state prison or in a county jail if one of the following applies:
(A) The minor has been found guilty previously of violating this section.
(B) The minor has been found guilty previously of an offense specified in subdivision (b) of Section 12021.1 or in Section 12020, 12220, 12520, or 12560.
(C) The minor has been found guilty of a violation of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a).
(2) Violations of this section other than those violations specified in paragraph (1) shall be punishable as a misdemeanor.
(d) In a proceeding to enforce this section brought pursuant to Article 14 (commencing with Section 601) of Chapter 2 of Part 1 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, the court may require the custodial parent or legal guardian of a minor who violates this section to participate in classes on parenting education that meet the requirements established in Section 16507.7 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(e) As used in this section, "responsible adult" means a person at least 21 years of age who is not within a class of persons prohibited from owning or possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code, or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(f) It is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the amendments to this section or to Section 12078 to expand or narrow the application of current statutory or judicial authority as to the rights of minors to be loaned or to possess live ammunition or a firearm for the purpose of self-defense or the defense of others.

moulton
09-24-2006, 3:47 PM
can you please highlight the place where it says I can possess, I just get lost in all of that legal jargon:confused:

Mssr. Eleganté
09-24-2006, 4:33 PM
can you please highlight the place where it says I can possess, I just get lost in all of that legal jargon:confused:

So as not to repost all of the legal jargon I just went back and highlighted the part of PC Section 12101 that lists the four different circumstances where it is legal for you to possess a handgun. C and D are the two exceptions where you don't need to have an adult with you. "C" says you need prior written consent from your parent and you need to be at least 16 years old. "D" says you need prior written consent from your parent and you have to be on your family's land. It sounds like "C" is the exception you would want to use if you are going to hunt or target shoot with a handgun alone.

I don't see any restrictions on possession of long guns by minors hunting or target shooting alone in the Penal Code. There may be other laws that come into play here or Dept. of Fish and Game rules. I know that many (if not all) shooting ranges have restrictions on minors shooting alone. I've never researched this aspect of the law because I don't have any kids.

M. Sage
09-24-2006, 5:10 PM
I know that many (if not all) shooting ranges have restrictions on minors shooting alone. I've never researched this aspect of the law because I don't have any kids.

That's not so much because of the law as it is because of their liability insurance. A minor's signature on the waiver means squat.

metalhead357
09-24-2006, 5:23 PM

unfortunately THAT legal jargon is what's gonna get you either a nice trip to the pokie or left alone by the cops; it will ultimately do you well to not only read it, but to understand it. But in case you did miss it, you do need WRITTEN permission from thy parents.

Be safe, shoot straight, good luck, and one more time, be safe;)