PDA

View Full Version : C&R's & Other as Investments?

milsurplover
09-23-2006, 8:00 PM
I consider collecting C&R's and certain other firearms as the same hobby as collecting coins, stamps, cars, etc - something that is fun and can be potentially lucrative too. Besides the potential upside, hard assets often provide a "hands-on" tangible sense of comfort and can serve to diversify a portfolio of assets. What do y'all think? Am I rationalizing the money I'm spending on my 'hobby?'

Thoughts? Any ideas as to what types of C&R's have the most potential for future appreciation in value? What characteristics do you think are most important? Any do's and don't regarding handling and long-term storage?

Thanks

xenophobe
09-23-2006, 8:53 PM
There are plenty of C&R collectibles that will appreciate in value and that are great investments. Most all of them will never be found at Big 5.

The three most important things? Condition, Condition, Condition. Scarcity and obscurity may bring high prices, or may keep any particular firearm from appreciating much.

C&Rs that will appreciate the most:
Colt SAA, 1911's, Woodsmans, M1917s
German Gov't Walthers, Lugers, Mausers (handguns and long arms)
US Gov't, 1903 series, garands, carbines
S&W Victories, pre-model series 5-screw stuff.

Mosin-Nagants in DEAD MINT condition, obscure Mosins, 3-lines, dragoons, rare carbine variants... rare country codes, etc... New Engliand Westinghouse & Remington variants, Chinese Type 53's...

British Gov't: unmodified Webley revolvers, Enfield rifles in excellent to dead mint condition...

Stuff that I think is undervalued right now... rare variant P38's, PPKs, minty Enfields...

Stuff that is priced high, but will continue to go up like crazy: USGI 1911s, 1903's, G41/G43/K43s, and minty factory imported pre-922r AWs.

Icarus
09-24-2006, 3:40 PM
Mint Russian SKS. Especially those prior to 1953. Beware of fake rarities.

xenophobe
09-24-2006, 3:48 PM
Beware of fake rarities.

Definitely. I avoid all mauser rifles, and would not even consider buying a sniper. The fakes look as good as the real thing, and in a world where the Mauser snipers used all sorts of commercial parts, with no real doctrine on what is "correct", even experts are fooled these days.

Most other C&R rifles would cost too much to fake, though Colt SAAs and 1911's are getting reworked by experts who can redo the blue, reblue without losing edge or scroll sharpness, etc..

If you're in the sub $1000 price range, you can be farily certain something hasn't been f'd with very much. On guns costing $3000 and up, definitely do your research before buying. And that means avoiding particular sellers as well.