PDA

View Full Version : Choosing my next fightin gun

mh85
02-20-2011, 10:33 PM
First off some history.
For ar platforms ive owned:
DPMS/Rock river arms/bushmasters/smith and wesson/sabre
Im very familiar with the ar platform and as everybody else, i am pleased with it.
Ive never owned a gas impingment/piston.

Here is my dilemma:
Im looking to get another rifle. With the acr going to ****, ive thrown that out the door.
Im considering these companies:

1. LWRC
2. POF
3. FN herstal (scar) Not interested in the wow factor here, interested in performance
4. Noveske

Im looking to get a smooth/clean operating system, supported with accuracy/reliability/and lightweight, that does not necessarily have to be an ar platform.

Take into consideration that none of my ar's have ever been loaded down with alot of nonsense at the front end. Matter of fact my guns are all setup for different male members in my family for practicality.
Now its my turn... Ive handed down my "go to", "get out of town" ar.
Also, i have an acog tao31 and also a aimpoint micro t1 laying around, also if i felt like it i have a surefire mini scout setup as well, but again im not into getting to fancy. IMO, trigger/optics/stock(cant stand loose stocks)/vert grip(some of my ar's have em some dont, things change day to day for what feels comfortable for me), but ive always changed grips cant stand stock ar grips... these are important.

I will say this about the scar.... the scar has a sturdy stock, thats good, trigger i forgot how it was.... maybe someone cant chime in on that. (My go to ar has a 2 stage in it. ) and it was light for having a full rail etc.
But if im tossing $2400 into a gun, i want a good and one that is worth every penny.

My main objective for the next weapon is: to be light... light...light... without sacrificing stability

I know picky picky right?

thanks for the input

siliconphreak
02-21-2011, 8:08 AM
I'd say it's a toss up between LWRC or a FN SCAR.

Omega13device
02-21-2011, 8:29 AM
A few thoughts on fighting guns.

First is that the mission drives the gear. You can't satisfy every need simultaneously. For example, light weight is perfectly good requirement but at its extreme it means no optics and no white light. What I think you want for your main objective is actually "as light as possible within the constraints of my other requirements."

Second, your choice of stocks, grips, VFGs, etc. should be driven by what works for you. If you want good advice about these items, be sure to ask people WHY they prefer something, otherwise you're just going to get a hundred people telling you what their favorite items is. Popularity is a good indicator of what people are buying, but it doesn't help you figure out what will work for YOU. Btw that goes for the brand of rifle too, not just the accessories.

Finally, in terms of the specific choices it looks like you're looking at complete rifles so I'd add LMT and BCM to that list because they've been proven reliable and a good value. I'd subtract Noveske because he uses a match chamber. That's great for a precision rifle but I consider it a little tight for a fighting carbine. Can it work? Yes. But it would always concern me a little and with so many great options out there with 5.56 NATO chambers I don't see any compelling reason to always have that concern in the back of my mind.

Also I'd definitely try to shoot a SCAR if you can. It's getting great reviews from people who carry guns for a living. The manual of arms is slightly different, however, which is why I think you should try it out.

Gryff
02-21-2011, 8:55 AM
Exactly what kind of fighting are you going to be doing? Rural, urban, mountainous, desert? What are your adversaries using? What's your logistical support like?

Start with your past fighting experience. What lessons on weapons have you already learned through combat?

Southpaw45
02-21-2011, 9:02 AM
A "fighting Gun" with a bullet button? :pinch:

Rob Roy
02-21-2011, 9:34 AM

Exactly my question too.

ir0nclash86
02-21-2011, 9:46 AM

Exactly my question too.

The day you have to take your "fighting gun" to the streets because chaos has ensued is the day when bullet buttons will no longer matter.

Plus, remember there's the featureless route and I don't think he mentioned what state he was in.

Haplo
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
My main gripe against the SCAR is lack of replacement parts. I keep plenty of parts on hand for my ARs with enough to build a couple rifles. Can you do that with a SCAR?

ir0nclash86
02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
My main gripe against the SCAR is lack of replacement parts. I keep plenty of parts on hand for my ARs with enough to build a couple rifles. Can you do that with a SCAR?

Yes you can. You can't walk in to a store and buy parts for it like an AR but they're there though.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347791

SarahKC1987
02-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I assume by fighting gun he means....home defense? If so, im curious as well because my first build will be a "home defense" type setup.

mh85
02-21-2011, 12:18 PM
thanks for all input.
Let me clarify, I am not asking for every tid bit detail on what everyone prefers for accessories, i myself have always kept my guns very basic besides upgrading triggers and grips.

Not every gun is built for every scenario thats why theres so many different guns available.

I think im settling on the scar. Due to the platform was built for piston, its lightweight and reports are accuracy is well. The gun doesnt have alot of bells and whistles to add to it, but rather is pretty equipped already. reliability seems to be strong.

Yes parts arent readily available, but i want a gun that i dont want to rely to much on what the stores can fix for me or stock for my broken peice.

Ive never, never had to buy spare parts for any of my ar's with the exception that i did turn 2 Daniel defense barrels completely brown and burned them out. haha. Excessive much?

I think im resting on a scar/micro t1/possibly removable 3x magnifier maybe havent decided any input on that is welcome/ larue vert grip.

Nathan Krynn
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Personally I would do a KISS DI AR.

You know it works, its light, no extra recoil, more accurate, list could go on and on.

Just have a reliable trigger (no drop in units), and a good barrel. Also no extra unneeded stuff. Maybe even plastic hand guards to lighten it, maybe MOE.

pyro3k2
02-21-2011, 2:44 PM
Maybe time for something new, since all of your choices aren't really going to be huge imporovements but rather refinement of the platform.
My I suggest these fine fighting gun's:
1. M1a
2. FAL
3. HK series such as the CETME/PTR's
4. AK 47/74
5. M1 garand

themailman
02-21-2011, 2:54 PM

You know it works, its light, no extra recoil, more accurate, list could go on and on.

Just have a reliable trigger (no drop in units), and a good barrel. Also no extra unneeded stuff. Maybe even plastic hand guards to lighten it, maybe MOE.

We can preach this all day long, but it only falls on deaf ears Im afraid.

mh85
02-21-2011, 7:39 PM
Maybe time for something new, since all of your choices aren't really going to be huge imporovements but rather refinement of the platform.
My I suggest these fine fighting gun's:
1. M1a
2. FAL
3. HK series such as the CETME/PTR's
4. AK 47/74
5. M1 garand

I got the m1a socom, love that little rifle!
I somehow forgot about the fal.... hmmm

mh85
02-21-2011, 7:40 PM

I completely agree. I have 2 ar's that are keeping it simple stupid.

nrakid88
02-21-2011, 7:42 PM
A few thoughts on fighting guns.

First is that the mission drives the gear. You can't satisfy every need simultaneously. For example, light weight is perfectly good requirement but at its extreme it means no optics and no white light. What I think you want for your main objective is actually "as light as possible within the constraints of my other requirements."

Second, your choice of stocks, grips, VFGs, etc. should be driven by what works for you. If you want good advice about these items, be sure to ask people WHY they prefer something, otherwise you're just going to get a hundred people telling you what their favorite items is. Popularity is a good indicator of what people are buying, but it doesn't help you figure out what will work for YOU. Btw that goes for the brand of rifle too, not just the accessories.

Finally, in terms of the specific choices it looks like you're looking at complete rifles so I'd add LMT and BCM to that list because they've been proven reliable and a good value. I'd subtract Noveske because he uses a match chamber. That's great for a precision rifle but I consider it a little tight for a fighting carbine. Can it work? Yes. But it would always concern me a little and with so many great options out there with 5.56 NATO chambers I don't see any compelling reason to always have that concern in the back of my mind.

Also I'd definitely try to shoot a SCAR if you can. It's getting great reviews from people who carry guns for a living. The manual of arms is slightly different, however, which is why I think you should try it out.

Someone more mall ninja than me, haha