PDA

View Full Version : Are Italian Shotguns Overrated?

cornholio1
09-23-2006, 5:13 PM
I am looking into getting a semi-auto shotgun and had run into this website for the best 7 semiauto shotguns.

http://hunting.about.com/b/a/099070.htm

I've done some homework and saw that the Italian shotguns were great. Someone people had jams with other brands and some complained Benelli's interia system kicked harder than a gas operated shottie and it maybe finacky with acessories mounted on it.

Are Italian shotguns (e.g Beretta and Benelli) really this good or are they just plain over priced? Any suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

M. Sage
09-23-2006, 5:16 PM
IMO, yeah, overrated a bit. I'll take a cheap Mossberg 500 or something similar any time. :P

-hanko
09-23-2006, 5:47 PM
Are Italian shotguns (e.g Beretta and Benelli) really this good or are they just plain over priced? Any suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Beretta owns Benelli, you may find some duplication.

Try carrying one all day for a week or so hunting birds. You'll love the weight. If you get it properly fitted, you'll love the way it mounts. Your question really depends on how much you want to spend. My Beretta is a mere silver pigeon...bought new in 1992 (??) for around $1200. It's worth more than that now...I have zero regrets about the purchase. OTOH, I sure couldn't justify spending $10K for a medium priced Perazzi.

For what you'll spend for a good o/u or s/s you'll hand down to your grandkids, find a dealer that will let you try one first.

Virtually no experience with an Italian semi...recoil-operated (e.g. Beretta FP1201 or Browning A5) will push back a little more than a gas operated semi...nature of the beast regardless of where it's made.

-hanko

azn_wrx
09-23-2006, 8:38 PM
Damn $10k? Thats like the Lambo of shotguns

Sydwaiz
09-23-2006, 8:47 PM
Get an 1100 or 11-87 if you are dead set on a semi. There is a reason they are still making them. I prefer o/u however.

Bryan Whited
09-23-2006, 8:58 PM
Lambo? Not even in the same league.
I was at SHOT show one year and went to a display of an O/U 4 barrel set. Picked it up and it was nice. Do not recall if it was a Perazzi or Kreigoh (sp?).
Looked down at the price tag, $80,000.
Not long ago dropped by the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas and in thier Fine Gun Room there was a Purdy taged at $249,999.

-hanko
09-23-2006, 9:00 PM
For what I'd call a boutique double gun, $10K is just a start. Similar analogue with a $1m Bugatti, an Aston Martin, Bentley, Lambo, etc.

You can still get a nice double without ruining your credit or savings; price jumps appreciably with premium wood, more engraving, and other visual goodies. Lower priced guns shoot the same big bullets and kill just as many birds.

-hanko

azn_wrx
09-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Im not even sure if I would shoot an $80k gun lol

M. Sage
09-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Im not even sure if I would shoot an $80k gun lol

I'm really sure I wouldn't.

Man, I can think of a lot better ways to spend $80k, not like a shottie is gonna give you MOA accuracy or anything. It's a shotgun, in my mind they can only get good to a certain point, anything past that's wasted.

ivanimal
09-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I agree there is a Mossberg over under at big five for about 500. It has all of the bells and whistles. and wont break the bank. It looks to be quality made and the fit and finish is outstanding. I have a Beretta over under or I would consider it.

Bryan Whited
09-24-2006, 3:14 PM
That 80K scattergun I put down very quickly and gentally when I saw the price.
Frankly, I can not see any difference once you get above a Beretta or Browning other then cosmetic items.

I agree there is a Mossberg over under at big five for about 500. It has all of the bells and whistles. and wont break the bank. It looks to be quality made and the fit and finish is outstanding. I have a Beretta over under or I would consider it.

ivanimal
09-25-2006, 12:22 AM
That 80K scattergun I put down very quickly and gentally when I saw the price.
Frankly, I can not see any difference once you get above a Beretta or Browning other then cosmetic items.

I can, there are a lot more eyes on you when you fondle the 80K guns!:eek:

azn_wrx
09-25-2006, 1:23 AM
But it's kinda like seeing someone drive a 100K+ car. You look and stare for a few seconds, then think of all the other things you can do with that 100K, then get over it. Everytime I go to the beach we see them cruising.

Joe Register
09-25-2006, 1:13 PM
The beretta 391 is the current king of semi autos for sporting clays. It's reputation is built on its reliability. The only 391's I see people have problems with are the ones sent out to gunsmiths for extra features. The stock models are dead on reliable (here in SoCal where weather isn't often an issue).

My 390 went close to 20,000 rounds before cracking the bolt. I had it replaced and it is still going strong.

I have seen some problems with the early fancy versions of the 391 with cheesy plastic inserts and a rib that sometimes flew off. haven't seen that happen recently though.

My 390 is a sporting model and it is very heavy to carry around hunting. The field guns are lighter.

I have seen the recent prices on these guns and they seem quite high to me. It is a proven gun but expensive and used ones aren't much cheaper.

I have a Benelli that I rarely shoot. The action when you shoot it feels much different than a beretta. I don't really notice that it kicks more but it is unusual enough that it is a safe queen. If you look at the high volume argentia dove shoots benellis are a favored gun. It stays cleaner and is easier to clean with no gas system. It may be more reliable. The super black eagle is a very popular duck gun for that reliability in weather that may knock out a gas gun. Benellis are also priced more than I think they are worth. I believe there are a few clones out there (pintail, stoeger, 1201) that can get you the same reliability without paying the brand name - and the are all owned by Beretta anyway.

I also don't like that Berettas and Benellis are going the way of tennis shoes - lots of "designer" style items that add nothing to the performance but drive up the price.

I shoot an older 60's era 1100 on occasion and it is a nice, soft shooting gun. Mine has broken twice in the time I had it and that is too much for a gun I rarely shoot. It is a beautiful gun and the light recoil would make it ideal for beginners. I don't have any experience with the newer versions. They are not that common at the sporting clays range. My understanding is that remingtons are not much cheaper than the italian guns now.

I think the 390/391 series is certainly the best clays semi auto out there right now and probably worth the money if you cant find one used.

For hunting I think there are more alternatives available and Benellis are priced too high right now.

sargenv
09-25-2006, 2:52 PM
I think the idea is that what do you want to do with it? If you can shoot your Mossberg 500 at everything and are happy shooting it, then more power to you. I've spouted off about how much I like my Browning Gold Hunter, but I also own a Mossy 500, 2 870's (in 20 gauge and .410) and have access to fire Benelli's, Berettas, Auto-5's, and other makes and models. I've also shot Weatherby, Browning, Ruger, and Beretta Over/Unders. They all had their own quirks. The reason people like the various models and brands is that they fit and fire differently.

Depending on what your requirements are, you can only fire certain kinds of guns with certain kinds of ammo. A Mossy will fire everything, but personally I don't like to pound myself with magnum ammo in a pump. I get headaches and to me there is nothing pleasant about lots of recoil. If you like it, have at it. I prefer the gas guns because they soak up some of the recoil and make that follow up shot faster. 1100's and 11-87's are nice guns, however you have to shoot a minimum load of 3 dram - one ounce. The 3" Gold Hunter and the 3" Berettas can fire the lighter 7/8 ounce loads and be very reliable. I like that ability and to me that makes them more reliable in my book just in case maybe I drop a light powder charge in a reload.

It all comes down to what you like. If a Yugo works for you and you think a Mustang or a Mecedes is just a waste of money, then go ahead and get the Yugo. They will all get you place to place and a mossy breaks birds as well as a Browning. If you shoot a LOT you will probably wear out the Mossy and still be shooting the Browning. You can buy 4 or 5 Mossy's for the price of the Browning. Heck, you can probably get 2 mossy's on sale for the cost of the Browning Gold Barrel :D

This was about Italian Shotguns and the name may be Italian, but many of these guns are made elsewhere. The Browning is made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. The Beretta may be made in Belgium (al la FN) or may be made in Italy.

Vince

M. Sage
09-25-2006, 9:14 PM
But it's kinda like seeing someone drive a 100K+ car. You look and stare for a few seconds, then think of all the other things you can do with that 100K, then get over it. Everytime I go to the beach we see them cruising.

Haha, when I see those cars I think of how much better a car I could put together using a much cheaper car as a base for mods, and how I would probably end up spending less than the whole $100k anyway... and laugh at them for a fool for driving less car for more money than they could have had.

If only I had $100k to play with on a car.... :mad:

Spawn_X
09-26-2006, 10:00 AM
What advice would you folks have for a pistol grip shotgun? Current option is a Benelli M4, but if there's something cheaper and just as good...

Thanks

edbon9
09-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Haha, when I see those cars I think of how much better a car I could put together using a much cheaper car as a base for mods, and how I would probably end up spending less than the whole $100k anyway... and laugh at them for a fool for driving less car for more money than they could have had.
:mad:

and what would the resale value be ? the guy driving the ferrari/mercedes/etc/ will most likely recoup some of his investment.

case in point, you could for about the same money buy a ljutic or perazzi shotgun, the ljutic may never break, but if it does you will have to send it back to the factory to get it fixed. the perazzi will most likely break, but when it does someone will have parts for it readily available. and if you do decide to sell the perazzi, you will recoup a good chunk of your money back, the ljutics, as well made as they are don't keep their prices that well.

M. Sage
09-26-2006, 7:06 PM
and what would the resale value be ? the guy driving the ferrari/mercedes/etc/ will most likely recoup some of his investment.

I play HARD with my toys. Resale value has never been something I worried too much about. :P I plan on selling them once they're worn and beat, not before. :D

mdhpper
09-27-2006, 4:15 PM
Great video:
http://chestnuthillskennels.com/BerettaXtrema2.wmv

cnyankee
10-01-2006, 9:52 PM
thanks for that link.....now i have to check my balance on my card..