PDA

View Full Version : Are 870 Wingmaster and express barrels the same?

pilotimb
09-23-2006, 3:02 PM
I'm trying to find a new barrel that accepts choke tubes for an older 870 Wingmaster 12g. Can I put an 870 Express barrel on my wingmaster?

Vigilante
09-23-2006, 3:47 PM
I though that the wingmaster and the express had different finishes. I could be wrong though. It might look funny with a matte barrel on a gloss/semi gloss gun.

pilotimb
09-23-2006, 4:03 PM
Fit is all I'm worried about. As a broke college student I can deal with a little funny looking finish.

Boomer1961
09-30-2006, 7:25 PM
Fit is all I'm worried about. As a broke college student I can deal with a little funny looking finish.

Fit is the same.

Finish on express is dull black, and not considered as attractive as on the wingmaster which is blued.

Be careful with the barrels though as wingmastesr are an older design and can be found with 2-3/4" and 3" max only receivers/barrels and though the express is newer I do have one barrel that is 3" max. Look for this if you want to be able to shoot 3" and 3.5" shells in the barrel you are looking at. Also make certain the barrel matches the receiver, or at least you shoot shells to the max of the more conservative rating of the barrel or receiver. Remington warns you that though you can say put a 3" max barrel on a 2-3/4" receiver and be able to shoot 3" shells through it that you should not. I do not know for certain what Remington did to strengthen the receivers as time went on but they swear they did something (maybe to just get you to dump grandad's ol gun and to spend money on a new one) but none the less I caution you.

Also another nice feature is the RemChoke. I love mine, especially being able to put a rifled choke in enables me to do 8" grouping free hand at 100 yards with slugs. And I change the barrel by just changing the $18 choke.

Also look at the site and make certain it fits what you are looking for. I have the vent/bead 28" and rifled 20". I also have an old beater wingmaster 18" barrel (2-3/4" though) with fixed I.C. and bead site.

GOOD LUCK!