PDA

View Full Version : AR Trigger Problem ?

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 5:11 PM
I've put about 200 rounds today at the range . there is some sort of issue with my trigger . after pulling the trigger , there will be two or sometimes upto 4 follow up shots before it reset .

I have purchased brand new part kits from rifle gear . and its stag kit . I personally installed it my self watching youtube vids .

any of you guys know what I might have done wrong ? could it be some defective parts ? just not sure if i should call rifle gear about this or deal with stag arm directly .

thanks for your inputs .

MOD : if you feel this thread needs to be deleted , pls do so

RONIN.
02-20-2011, 5:15 PM
first thing i would do is.. call riflegear.. and see what they say.. most likely they will want to see the installed trigger assembly in the lower.. if they don't help you out.. then i would call stag arms directly.. and see what they say..

ronin

bohoki
02-20-2011, 5:19 PM
is your disconnector spring present

with unloaded gun

pull trigger keep it depressed then cycle the bolt rapidly let go of trigger,pull trigger did it click?

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 5:29 PM

with unloaded gun

pull trigger keep it depressed then cycle the bolt rapidly let go of trigger,pull trigger did it click?

it does not click . when i release , it fires .

think i might have installed the disconnector spring backward ?

GUNFREAK
02-20-2011, 5:46 PM
yes .

think i might have installed the disconnector spring backward ?

sometimes this happens because it is missing too.

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 6:15 PM
I'll check if its missing .

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 7:50 PM

with unloaded gun

no it doesnt . and disconnector spring is there . i can see it

G-forceJunkie
02-20-2011, 7:56 PM
But is it working, or is it upside down? Pull the trigger and disco out, and put it back together outside the rifle by sliding the pin through. The disconector spring should be pushing the disconnector upwards at the rear. You should be able to push it down, and it should pop back up untill the front stops on the front of the trigger. The spring has one end that is fatter making it sort of cone shaped. The fat end goes down in the hole in the triggger.

Hump0311
02-20-2011, 7:58 PM

Can you post some pictures of it. Maybe someone can compare it to there trigger assembly and see if there is anything different.

fty
02-20-2011, 8:25 PM

Is the disconnector spring in upside down? The spring is tapered - the larger end goes into the trigger.

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 8:44 PM
Can you post some pictures of it. Maybe someone can compare it to there trigger assembly and see if there is anything different.

I tired , but its very hard to see even for my on pic . gota get better cam XD

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 8:45 PM
Is the disconnector spring in upside down? The spring is tapered - the larger end goes into the trigger.

yes ,i made sure the larger end goes in first , when i was installing very first time .

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 8:49 PM
But is it working, or is it upside down? Pull the trigger and disco out, and put it back together outside the rifle by sliding the pin through. The disconector spring should be pushing the disconnector upwards at the rear. You should be able to push it down, and it should pop back up untill the front stops on the front of the trigger. The spring has one end that is fatter making it sort of cone shaped. The fat end goes down in the hole in the triggger.

I took the upper out and playing lower for a bit .. just too see how things works . im not a gun expert , but it just doesnt look quite right .

it apppears disconnector is worn out and not catching the hammer . but for sure i know the problem is between hammmer and disconnector from my understand . im going to take it to rifle gear tomorrw and see if they can see what is failing since i purchased it there .

pacrimguru
02-20-2011, 8:52 PM
are you sure you have your trigger and hammer springs in correctly? this is from another thread, but this should help diagnose your problem:

Did you truly function-check the lower by itself?

1.) have weapon on "fire"
2.) cock the hammer back, does it lock back?
3.) does the trigger release the hammer?
4.) hold the trigger to the rear, now cock hammer
5.) does the disconnector hook "snap" into the matching hook on the hammer?
6.) let go of the trigger, does the hammer "pop" back into cocked place?
7.) pull the trigger, does it release the hammer?
8.) cock the hammer again, now put the weapon on safe.
9.) does the trigger release the hammer when pulled? PULL HARD

Also, have you checked to make sure that your hammer spring is installed correctly? The legs should be PARALLEL to the bottom of the receiver. Like this:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/AR-15-Fire-Control-Group.gif

See how the legs of the hammer spring come from below the hammer pin, and rest on the trigger pin, parallel to the bottom of the receiver? Make sure that the hammer spring legs aren't coming from the TOP of the hammer pin. They would be coming down to rest on the trigger pin at a sharp downward angle.

^ this original post can be found here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=236659

Outta Control
02-20-2011, 8:53 PM
Does your trigger spring look like this?

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/trigger.gif
Note the front end of the spring is under the front lip of the trigger.

My bro's AR had some what similar issue in that his trigger did not reset itself only to find the solution is what I mentioned above.

CWM4A1
02-20-2011, 8:58 PM
I have seen one with disconnecter that is too weak cause a .22 built go nuts but that is not quite the same as what OP is experiencing...

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 9:16 PM
It appears springs are in right way . I will upload some pics where u can see

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 9:19 PM
little hard to see .. sorryabt bad quality pics
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0220012114.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0220012113.jpg

G-forceJunkie
02-20-2011, 9:26 PM
With the upper off like in your pic, with the saftey off, hold the trigger to the rear. Cock the hammer by hand untill it "clicks" This should be the disconnector grabbing it. It should stay in position. Now let the trigger go (but hold your hand over the hammer it incase it flyes forward on accident.) The hammer should go "klunk" as it comes off the disconnector and catches on the sear hooks and nose of the trigger. If it doesnt stop, ya, something is wrong with the hammer, disconector, and or trigger.

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 9:39 PM
I followed Pacrimguru steps 1 - 9 .. all checked out okay . except one thing

number 6 .. if i let go slowly , thats when hammer drops ( and burst fire happens )

but if let go little faster , it works normal

G38xOC
02-20-2011, 9:47 PM
With the upper off like in your pic, with the saftey off, hold the trigger to the rear. Cock the hammer by hand untill it "clicks" This should be the disconnector grabbing it. It should stay in position. Now let the trigger go (but hold your hand over the hammer it incase it flyes forward on accident.) The hammer should go "klunk" as it comes off the disconnector and catches on the sear hooks and nose of the trigger. If it doesnt stop, ya, something is wrong with the hammer, disconector, and or trigger.

yea , at least i know everything is installed correctly . gota be between hammer and trigger .

gona call rifle gear n see what they say

thanks

Cokebottle
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
This is not totally uncommon, and underscores the need for a full function check before assembling the AR and running live ammo through it.

Full function check when the LPK installation is complete, and another one with the upper attached to make sure everything works properly when the bolt is in place and functioning.

BTW: Keep that lower disassembled (remove the LPK), get back to Riflegear, and PM a mod and request that this thread be deleted.

fuzz415
02-21-2011, 9:52 AM
BTW: Keep that lower disassembled (remove the LPK), get back to Riflegear, and PM a mod and request that this thread be deleted.

Just wondering why would this thread need to be deleted? seems that there is relevant info here. are you afraid of riflegear getting bad press? Im only asking since it seemed like an unusual request.

pointedstick
02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Just wondering why would this thread need to be deleted? seems that there is relevant info here. are you afraid of riflegear getting bad press? Im only asking since it seemed like an unusual request.

Your burst-firing AR is a Federal felony in case any bored ATF agents are lurking around waiting to ruin people's lives.

r3dn3ck
02-21-2011, 11:11 AM
it's a malfunctioning gun, not a machine gun. It wasn't designed or intended to work the way it is (burst)... I can't see how that's even remotely illegal. It does need to get fixed true enough... I mean there is the now you know about it factor but it's not like you modified it with parts designed to accommodate full auto fire. Just pull the FCG out and send it in for replacement. Don't waste time on busticated parts and certainly don't go out and shoot it just because it's now a fire-hose. No sense drawing attention to yourself.

Cokebottle
02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
it's a malfunctioning gun, not a machine gun. It wasn't designed or intended to work the way it is (burst)..
Doesn't matter.
There can be debate over it's legality, but there have been situations where a gun failure has resulted in convictions.

There was a similar thread a few days ago that didn't last 5 hours before the OP had edited his message to "...", and the thread deletion soon followed.

Cokebottle
02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
It's not a Riflegear problem, it's a Stag or assembly problem.

bohoki
02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
i see a little nick on your disconnector it looks like that hammer is hitting it there

that hammer looks a bit odd to me a little too squared off

what is the lower brand

dieselpower
02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
It's not a Riflegear problem, it's a Stag or assembly problem.

It could be a LPK problem, (out of spec parts)
It could be a OLL problem, (out of spec lower)
It could be a BCG Problem, (out of spec part)

Please don't bash a company based on some guys limited info.

For all you guys know his Colt BCG has a stuck firing pin and its slam firing at times...

I can hold my AR15 and get it to burst fire while dry firing too. Its not illegal its a mechanical trick by holding the hammer with one hand and pulling the trigger SLOWLY with the other hand. You can't do it when the upper is installed and its firing real ammo. So his "playing" with his lower has no relevant information beyond is it assembled correctly.

1) Are the holes properly drilled in the lower?
2) Are the LPK parts properly milled?
3) Is the firing pin getting held out causing a slam fire?
4) Are you actually BUMPFIRING and not realizing it?

Cokebottle
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Please don't bash a company based on some guys limited info.
I was just pointing out that it's not a Riflegear problem. They didn't manufacture the parts or assemble the gun.
I can hold my AR15 and get it to burst fire while dry firing too. Its not illegal its a mechanical trick by holding the hammer with one hand and pulling the trigger SLOWLY with the other hand. You can't do it when the upper is installed and its firing real ammo. So his "playing" with his lower has no relevant information beyond is it assembled correctly.
I tried it on 3 lowers last night and I can't duplicate it. One LPK is a new Stag that I just got Saturday, one is an RRA, and one is a TDS stainless from the group buy and I ended up replacing the hammer because it was way out of spec.

Now, the disconnector on the new Stag does seem "odd"... it's very tight, and doesn't rock either as freely or as far as the one on the other two, but I'm not getting trigger slap when I smack the hammer down smartly, and the disconnector grabs every time and the trigger resets properly.
1) Are the holes properly drilled in the lower?
This would be the only other thing given the reported function. If the hammer hole is too high or too far forward, it could miss the disconnector.

killshot44
02-21-2011, 12:39 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0220012114.jpg

Look at the how the trigger and hammer aren't lined up in this photo.....

I'd put a different set in there; something isn't right with those. (duh)

Cokebottle
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Look at the how the trigger and hammer aren't lined up in this photo.....

I'd put a different set in there; something isn't right with those. (duh)
Looks fine. The camera is centered on the left wall of the lower and the lens distortion makes it look like the trigger is off to the right.
Look closely at the hammer base (it's dark and hard to see)... the trigger is square.

G38xOC
02-21-2011, 4:04 PM
went to rifle gear and showed that my trigger problem . after inspection , they said its either trigger or hammer .

so i purchased trigger and hammer from there . first , i installed trigger and performed function test . results were same .

2nd , after installing new hammer , problem was fixed =)

before i installed , I compares one another . and it looked same . trigger has little worn part shown . other than that , i didnt see any differences what so ever .
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/Ssaba420/0221011602.jpg
maybe that was the problem ? idk , but its fixed for now . but i still need to put some rounds through her to be sure

thanks all

bohoki
02-21-2011, 4:23 PM
dont chuck that hammer just yet it may work for someone i think the back of the hammer needs to be file off a tad and maybe round over the front top a bit

G38xOC
02-21-2011, 4:46 PM
dont chuck that hammer just yet it may work for someone i think the back of the hammer needs to be file off a tad and maybe round over the front top a bit

I'm going to call up stag arm , see what they have to say about it . hopefully they be able to ship a set for me . 30 bucks wasnt too much , but feel it was unnecessary spend . we'll see