PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Upper problem, rounds not feeding and fire failing

animossity
02-20-2011, 3:30 PM
Hello,

I built my first AR-15 build. Ive put about 200 rounds through it and it shot great. I went to the range yesterday and it was failing to feed and fire. I would have to pull the charging handle on each shot. Even then it would still fail to fire 1/5 times. I tried 3 different kinds of ammo, 2 different lowers and 3 different magazines. All had the same results, I removed the upper ran a bore snake through and wiped down the bolt. No improvement and still operated the same.

I am not to experienced with these, what should I check that can cause this? Also is there any good shops in norcal that I could have an AR serviced or looked 0ver in case i cant figure this out??

This is the upper I have.

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_100_158_210&products_id=563

big ron
02-20-2011, 3:34 PM
did you check the gas block and tube to see if it has rotated any?

razorscs
02-20-2011, 3:34 PM
This sounds like a definite problem with the bolt. If it is failing to fire even with a round in the chamber and you have tried multiple different lowers, then it has to be the bolt. Did you check around the lugs on the bolt and inside the chamber to make sure there was no foreign material preventing it from locking?

OHW
02-20-2011, 3:36 PM
Did you feild strip and clean the rifle?

If not you need to. There is probally a blown primer or brass chunks lodged in the BCG or FCG.

Strip , clean and lube properly then try again.

IsaacGlass
02-20-2011, 3:51 PM
Hello,

I built my first AR-15 build. Ive put about 200 rounds through it and it shot great. I went to the range yesterday and it was failing to feed and fire. I would have to pull the charging handle on each shot. Even then it would still fail to fire 1/5 times. I tried 3 different kinds of ammo, 2 different lowers and 3 different magazines. All had the same results, I removed the upper ran a bore snake through and wiped down the bolt. No improvement and still operated the same.

I am not to experienced with these, what should I check that can cause this? Also is there any good shops in norcal that I could have an AR serviced or looked 0ver in case i cant figure this out??

This is the upper I have.

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_100_158_210&products_id=563

Does it have a problem extracting the empty shell? Did you build the lower?

Erin
02-20-2011, 4:14 PM
are the failure to feed caseings marred or scratched? i had a similar experiance. turned out to be a ****ty upper reciever that was causeing dis alignment of the locking lugs and there for feed ramps too.

animossity
02-20-2011, 5:06 PM
Did you feild strip and clean the rifle?

If not you need to. There is probally a blown primer or brass chunks lodged in the BCG or FCG.

Strip , clean and lube properly then try again.

I have not had a chance to do this yet but, the rifle was almost freshly cleaned and lubed when i shot it. Gun was lubed with CLP and a small amount of hi temp grease.

animossity
02-20-2011, 5:13 PM
Does it have a problem extracting the empty shell? Did you build the lower?

yes,

no i have a plumb crazy lower, i also hooked my friends noveske lower and had the same problem.

animossity
02-20-2011, 5:16 PM
did you check the gas block and tube to see if it has rotated any?

no i have not.

IsaacGlass
02-21-2011, 2:56 AM
yes,

no i have a plumb crazy lower, i also hooked my friends noveske lower and had the same problem.

What ammo brand are you using?

luckystrike
02-21-2011, 3:21 AM
there was another guy with the same problem, same upper. my guess it its an American AR using Russian steel, or just one of those rifles that needs a good break-in period

animossity
02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
K after inspecting a little bit last night, part number 5 on this diagram was pretty damn loose on my bolt. I am assuming that's where the gas is blown into to charge the bolt?

http://www.tanneryshop.com/sgpAR/ar-bolt_carrier-assemb.png

Its a lil less then 1/4 play on it. As for Ammo I was shooting

black hills 223
federal 223
Remington UMC 223

dieselpower
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
LOL..Part 5 is the gas key. gas is channeled through it to "unlock" and release the bolt starting the whole semi-automatic action cycle.

It needs to be torqued down. If you had a 5.56 I would say to torque it to 40 INCH Pounds. You can also stake the screws heads in place if you want. You see what happens when you dont have them tight.

look at my 4th link, chapter 3, I think page 3-15 on to like 3-28. There should be a sealant in there too capable to withstand 900 degrees or more. the bolt threads need just a smear on them as well. you dont want the sealant clogging the gas channel.

HK-DEMON-
02-21-2011, 11:54 AM
K after inspecting a little bit last night, part number 5 on this diagram was pretty damn loose on my bolt. I am assuming that's where the gas is blown into to charge the bolt?

http://www.tanneryshop.com/sgpAR/ar-bolt_carrier-assemb.png

Its a lil less then 1/4 play on it. As for Ammo I was shooting

black hills 223
federal 223
Remington UMC 223

Once you do as Dieselpower recommended make sure to "steak" them otherwise they will become loose again, I had the same problem.

dieselpower
02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Once you do as Dieselpower recommended make sure to "steak" them otherwise they will become loose again, I had the same problem.

agree. If you are not going to use sealant and check them during cleaning, you need to stake them. I check mine and they have never come loose.

NewFrontierArmory
02-21-2011, 2:31 PM
If you can't get it call the shop and one of the girls will give you our UPS account number to send the BCG back and we will get it torqued and re-staked ASAP and right back out to you.

d sauce
02-21-2011, 3:13 PM
Thats good customer service.

animossity
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
If you can't get it call the shop and one of the girls will give you our UPS account number to send the BCG back and we will get it torqued and re-staked ASAP and right back out to you.

Thanks, I am going to call a local shop today to see I can have someone local do it so I can possibly have it ready for the weekend. If not I will be sending it over.

I really want to praise new frontiers armorys service by the way. I had my plumb crazy lower shipped and it was missing a bolt catch and they promptly mailed me one without question when I asked. Not to mention what they offered in this thread. My whole order was delivered to me ASAP when I purchased from them. I would really recommend these guys to anyone on here.

NewFrontierArmory
02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Appreciate the compliments,...... now only if we can get the mfg's to do some QA on the products we sell :(