PDA

View Full Version : Install virgin AK barrel tutorial?

My375hp302
02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Are their any good videos or write ups out there on installing a virgin AK barrel in a parts kit? Something that covers headspace issues, and linging up the sights true? I've looked and looked and most of what I found were videos using used surplus barrels that were already drilled so sight cant and drilling the barrel pin was not an issue. Thanks...

SJgunguy24
02-20-2011, 1:02 PM
Kinda depends on how "virgin" the barrel is. I've seen some with the notches cut for the lower handguard and extractor. I've seen some with none of those. I've also built on blanks with only chambers cut, those require a ton of work and I wouldn't reccomend to anybody as a first project.

If yours has the extractor cut out then this is how I do it.
Remove firing pin before starting anything!
First, set headspace. You do not need the receiver for headspace to be set, only the trunnion, barrel and bolt. I press the barrel in with an empty case until within a mm or so of the notch in the bullet guide. Then install the bolt and press until there is slight resistance to the bolt turning out of battery.
Now check with headspace guages and live round. Once that is set I like to turn the bolt into battery with an case and then drill for the pin.
Then the rear sight base gets installed, should be even with the trunnion at the chamber side. Drill and install pin.

Slide handguard retainer on and now fit gas block using your gas tube to set distance. You may need to remove the block to drill the port. When that has been set and the port is drilled, the FSB needs to go in place.
What I do is flip the barrel upside down so your looking at the bottom of the barrel section from the muzzle end like this.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/sglcantedsight.jpg
For me it's pretty easy to see if everything is lined up correctly. Even if something is 2-3 degrees off, it's easy to spot.

After you get this all done, remove the barrel from the trunnion and build as normal.

AK4me
02-20-2011, 1:14 PM
This is something Ill be attempting in the next week or so, I ordered a Romy barrel from Apex.

What about drilling the pin holes for the sight and gas block, Should I use a drill press, or would a mill be better?

And where do I find what size drill bits to use for the pin holes?

SJgunguy24
02-20-2011, 1:32 PM
Barrel pin is 7mm, RSB is 4mm, GB and FSB are 3mm.
3mm stuff generally has to be ordered out so I use .125 pins. Drill from each side with a hand drill. Use what you feel comfortable using.