PDA

View Full Version : First build, what uppers recomended?

TNLK
02-20-2011, 3:15 AM
Hey foks, building my first AR15. Got my eye on a Stag and Spike stripped lower at local gun shop. However so many uppers to choose from, what brand would anyone recommend? Got a Gun Show comming up in two weeks hopefully they have something the local guns shops don't.

Thanks.

Cyc Wid It
02-20-2011, 3:58 AM
Figure out what you realistically need from your gun then read the links here, especially the first few:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

rromeo
02-20-2011, 5:23 AM
Like Cyc Wid It, I suggest you get an upper that matches your budget and needs.
Every other post will say BCM, and one or two will say they had no issues with their Del Ton.

r3dn3ck
02-20-2011, 7:47 AM
http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_100_158

awesome prices, great quality, top shelf components where it counts.

brushfire21
02-20-2011, 9:51 AM
I think the upper will depend on how much money you want to spend and what you want to do with the upper. I have purchased new and used uppers ranging from $300 to $1200. The $300 Rockriver upper is my cheapo A2 style rifle in a featureless build and it shoots quite well actually and the wife enjoys shooting it and is a great plinker. The $1200 upper was a higher end Noveske/Larue build with a Stainless barrel and free floating rail system and is a tack driver with the right ammo. My current favorite rifle I just completed is a Daniel Defense 14.5" upper with permanently attached flashhide, MOE handguard and is my light weight build that feels really good in my hands all for the price of $600.

What I am getting at is what is the purpose of the rifle any specific items do you want and $$$$ and that will help steer you in the correct direction. The link above is great and will help you figure things out.

If all you want is a plinker and something to shoot on occasion and money is kinda tight, then anything from a reputable company should be fine. You can always upgrade later and stick it on the lower of your choice.

gmcal
02-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Budget?
Purpose (competitions-what type and class, training classes, how will you use it and what do you expect it do)?
What ammo are you most likely to use, bulk 55gr or 75gr+match grade or something in between or a mix of ammo?
How many rounds per month?
Do you plan to attach accessories to it? What kind?

Pinning down what you want to do with it will help guide you to what manufacturers to consider. Be as specific as possible.

B Strong
02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey foks, building my first AR15. Got my eye on a Stag and Spike stripped lower at local gun shop. However so many uppers to choose from, what brand would anyone recommend? Got a Gun Show comming up in two weeks hopefully they have something the local guns shops don't.

Thanks.

Your budget will be the first determinating factor.

Your intended use will be the second.

Strat checking the classifieds here on CGN, and Gunbroker there are some deals to be had out there, and a well maintained used upper for the right price can be a true bargin.

I'd look at LMT and BCM, new or used. There are some deals to be had on used Colts on GB, but the M4 types tend to be pricey, and 20" A2's seem to be dirt cheap.

gmcal
02-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Your budget will be the first determinating factor.

Your intended use will be the second.

Strat checking the classifieds here on CGN, and Gunbroker there are some deals to be had out there, and a well maintained used upper for the right price can be a true bargin.

I'd look at LMT and BCM, new or used. There are some deals to be had on used Colts on GB, but the M4 types tend to be pricey, and 20" A2's seem to be dirt cheap.

In addition to CGN and gunbroker, m4carbine.net and ar15.com often have really good deals. Lots of people sell like new uppers for substancially less than what a new upper costs.

Don29palms
02-20-2011, 11:00 AM
This is a good one for a great price. CLICK HERE! (http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_100_158_169&products_id=392&zenid=p2vldoaegvdeo3o2pht7rqpqg0)

http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/images/gtac.jpg

Jasonaspears
02-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I like my Spikes!

Erin
02-20-2011, 2:15 PM
I like my Spikes!

this

TNLK
02-21-2011, 8:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, you are all like big brothers I and definitely watching and learning. As far as money, the wife said I have enought guns in the house but I told her this one is the last one I'll ever buy LOL! wink wink.. So my budget is $1100 bucks that she'll allow me. The Ideal role of this rilfe is for plinking and personal defense/protection. I have other rifle I use for hunting. Again thanks guys, will post some pictures when I get it done in a few weeks.

RONIN.
02-21-2011, 9:17 AM
in your budget.. you can buy a complete stag.. or as you had said earlier you can piece together one..