PDA

View Full Version : AR 22 Conversion

Wycoff013
02-20-2011, 12:29 AM
This topic has probably been tackled, but I am new to AR's and have seen conflicting info. My question is what is needed to convert a .223 AR to 22? When I have seen kits, they come with a mag and BCG. Is this it, or do you have to change out the barrel too?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-20-2011, 12:33 AM
This topic has probably been tackled, but I am new to AR's and have seen conflicting info. My question is what is needed to convert a .223 AR to 22? When I have seen kits, they come with a mag and BCG. Is this it, or do you have to change out the barrel too?

If you are just using the conversion kit that comes with the replacement bolt and magazine then that is all you need. You use the regular barrel that is already on your upper.

The dedicated .22LR complete uppers come with a barrel that has a different rifling twist ratio to improve accuracy.

Wycoff013
02-20-2011, 1:27 AM
Thanks, I didn't know if the smaller 22 round would cause issues with the barrel.

danger707
02-20-2011, 2:14 AM
I got another question

if I use the .22 conversion on my .223 AR do I have to keep the bullet button or can I remove it?

o0RedEyE0o
02-20-2011, 9:23 PM
Good question.

My guess is that the bullet button has to stay since the rifle still has the chractistics and "evil parts" regaurdless of the caliber.:confused:

TheDeej
02-20-2011, 9:30 PM
While the list of evil features states a reference to centerfire rifles only, I would not try to go without a bullet button seeing that the rifle could be converted back to centerfire in seconds. An S&W MP 15-22 can have all the evil features you want and no bullet button but it also cannot convert to centerfire at the drop of a dime.

KING_PALM
02-20-2011, 10:41 PM
No BB for rimfire.
and there is only one option when it comes to anything rimfire.
Tacsol is the best of the best when it comes to making rimfire anything.
also RG has it the cheapest out of anywhere.
http://riflegear.com/images/product/large/555_1_.jpg
http://riflegear.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=555&SEName=tactical-solutions-ar-15-22-m4-upper-assembly

iskra31
02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Decent upper for a fair price!

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/M4-LE-.22-LR-Evolution-Upper-w-F-Marked-FSB1513-2580.jpg

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/M4-LE-.22-LR-Evolution-Upper-w-F-Marked-FSB-1513

thayne
02-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I'd go with a complete upper. That way you get the right twist for .22lr and you dont fowl up your gas tube or lead up your barrel.

Also you dont need a BB with a 22 rim fire.

thayne
02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
While the list of evil features states a reference to centerfire rifles only, I would not try to go without a bullet button seeing that the rifle could be converted back to centerfire in seconds. An S&W MP 15-22 can have all the evil features you want and no bullet button but it also cannot convert to centerfire at the drop of a dime.

It doesnt matter if you can convert it to center fire or not. as long as its rim fire while you're using it no BB is required.

thunderbolt
02-20-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a CMMG .22 upper and a 5.56 upper that I run off the same lower. I use a radlock and when I'm done shooting centerfire I swap out the upper and release the radlock. Laws are satisfied and I get two rifles in one.

iskra31
02-21-2011, 3:58 AM
I have a CMMG .22 upper and a 5.56 upper that I run off the same lower. I use a radlock and when I'm done shooting centerfire I swap out the upper and release the radlock. Laws are satisfied and I get two rifles in one.

How do you like your CMMG .22 upper? This in the one I was looking at getting for my AR.

Outkast951
02-21-2011, 7:30 AM
if you convert to 22lr internals or the whole upper you can remove the bullet button with a standard mag release. if you plan to convert bag to centerfire rifle then you better slap that bullet button back on.

I have the raddlock on mine. I go out and shoot 22 out of my ar then switch back to the .223 and adjust the raddlock back to centerfire.

CK_32
02-21-2011, 8:42 AM
My question is how can they justify a conversion kit for $220 when you can buy a dedicated upper for $350 lol

thunderbolt
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
How do you like your CMMG .22 upper? This in the one I was looking at getting for my AR.

I like it a lot but I did have some trouble with it at first. CMMG took care of it and now it runs like a champ. Definitly a better choice that the conversion because of the barrel twist rate. If you get one spend the extra 20 bucks and go with the Stainless steel bolt setup. Much more reliable and cleans in three min.

My question is how can they justify a conversion kit for $220 when you can buy a dedicated upper for $350 lol.

Short answer. You can't They used to be around $150 but like you said at $220 and up it just doesn't make sense. For $350 you get a seperate upper reciever, a barrel, handguards, and a flash hider for $130. Much better deal.

iskra31
02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I like it a lot but I did have some trouble with it at first. CMMG took care of it and now it runs like a champ. Definitly a better choice that the conversion because of the barrel twist rate. If you get one spend the extra 20 bucks and go with the Stainless steel bolt setup. Much more reliable and cleans in three min.

Good to know thanks, I won't hesitate on buying from CMMG then.

thrillhouse700
02-21-2011, 11:39 AM
OR just wait till the m&p 22lr is on sale for 499 or less.

Wycoff013
02-22-2011, 5:47 PM
I think I would like to purchase the CMMG upper, unless Big5 has the S&W M&P 15/22 on sale again for $399. They were selling them here a month ago for that price.

mskochinski
02-22-2011, 8:39 PM
I like the drop in converstion because I can use all of my optics without needing to buy two sets of them. It's all up to you though.. either way will be a load of fun.

iskra31
02-22-2011, 9:02 PM
I like the drop in converstion because I can use all of my optics without needing to buy two sets of them. It's all up to you though.. either way will be a load of fun.

What twist barrel are you running and how accurate would you say it it?

762.DEFENSE
02-22-2011, 9:26 PM
Go with the CMMG Quebec-A. You can't go wrong!

Wycoff013
02-22-2011, 9:32 PM
I can see one good reason for the purchase of a second dedicated AR 22. I can let my kids shoot it and not give up AR while they are enjoying the 22 version.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
02-22-2011, 9:33 PM
I run the CMMG conversion kit that I picked up for $150. It works awesome, and I could easily hit steel plates out to 50 yards. I don't know who would want to shoot farther than that with a .22lr anyway, so twist rate doesn't matter to me.

I did a Falcon Security tactical carbine course, and ran my .22lr conversion in my AR for the entire course. At first everybody laughed at me and called my rifle a pea shooter, but at the end of the day they saw my tight little groups and that I only spent $20 on ammo from WalMart, they weren't laughing any more....

iskra31
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I run the CMMG conversion kit that I picked up for $150. It works awesome, and I could easily hit steel plates out to 50 yards. I don't know who would want to shoot farther than that with a .22lr anyway, so twist rate doesn't matter to me.

I did a Falcon Security tactical carbine course, and ran my .22lr conversion in my AR for the entire course. At first everybody laughed at me and called my rifle a pea shooter, but at the end of the day they saw my tight little groups and that I only spent $20 on ammo from WalMart, they weren't laughing any more....

do you have leading up problems in your barrel? or any drawbacks?

mskochinski
02-23-2011, 7:36 AM
What twist barrel are you running and how accurate would you say it it?

I use a CMMG 14.5" upper with a 1:7 twist. So not optimal but at 25 yards, the range i shoot in, I can put them within a couple inches consistantly. Mind you the occasional flyer but that is when it starts to get dirty.

For me, it's all about getting my girl and friends use to the system before they shoot the .223. Plus it is just a boat load of fun to shoot for little costs.

thunderbolt
02-23-2011, 9:04 PM

Do you have to adjust your sites or is your POI the same with both calibers? I bought the dedicated upper mainly for this reason so I wouldn't have to mess with the POI. That and accuracy.

mskochinski
02-23-2011, 9:19 PM
I have a new Eotech 2.2 so it has two dots and at 25 yards I use the lower dot. If I didn't have this I would have to aim a few inches higher or turn the eotech higher and just remember to turn it back when i shoot the .223.

If your key thing is accuracy then this won't be a good fit for you. I did this to keep the cheap ammo in the gun and my girl can shoot it. I don't shoot anything further the n25 yards at the moment so I didn't go dedicated upper. If I was shooting anything further out, I would have gone dedicated definitely.