PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a CZ527 Carbine in 7.62x39

crackerman
02-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Actually able to sell some vacation back Cz is back on the list.

Ak707
02-20-2011, 12:05 AM
With good shot placement the round will stop a goat or sheep in it's tracks out to 200 yards easily

crackerman
02-20-2011, 7:10 AM
Any ammo recs?

WDE91
02-20-2011, 9:30 AM
a couple of the CZ guys on Rimfirecentral have these Carbine

most of them say to use brass cased ammo

I would maybe try I think its the Yugo 7.62x39mm that is brass cased as your "plinking ammo" and then find your hunting load

If your going to be using it for hunting dont forget about the Retard bird zone

ElvenSoul
02-20-2011, 9:54 AM
Fiocci and S&B ammo should work well...and be reloadable. I have taken sub 400lbs pigs with my sks...I would imagine your bolt gets a little more umph out of the round.... I use Barnes Bullets they really expand and penetrate well.

brianinca
02-20-2011, 2:38 PM
NEAT rifle, I'm jealous! One of my hunting rifles is a Mini-30, the caliber is more than adequate for CA sized deer and eating sized pigs - not sure I'd trifle with a 400 lb pig I wouldn't want to eat.....

Not sure where you're hunting, if non-Condor contaminated, I'd recommend the Winchester Super-X. Good bullet, good brass, good accuracy. For "condor safe" ammo, if you reload, Barnes makes an excellent bullet, as previously mentioned. That's the ONLY .3105 non-lead bullet I've been able to find, so you're kind of stuck there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=170874

For factory non-lead ammo, you'll need to look to the smaller shops and plan on a wallet-ectomy.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_71&products_id=375
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=259369

Figure you can reload 50 rds of hunting ammo for the same $$ as buying 20 rds of commercial ammo.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Snapping Twig
02-20-2011, 8:12 PM
And...

That rifle is a tack driver!

You could make drink money betting how accurate the 7.62x39 is, then whipping out the CZ.

150g bullets do quite well in that caliber.

brianinca
02-20-2011, 9:36 PM
>>>
150g bullets do quite well in that caliber.
>>>

Not non-lead. Case capacity is definitely an issue with the Barnes bullet.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Snapping Twig
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd have to think that in a bolt action you could manipulate the seating depth to your advantage. I do it with all my bolt guns.

Seat it long, smoke the bullet with a match, and check for marks as you close the bolt. Back off until the marks stop.

23 Blast
02-21-2011, 1:00 PM
I used to have one of these until I sold it to a fellow Calgunner. I had bought it to go hunting, but opted for a .308 for that purpose instead. My 7.62x39s are plinkers.

However, I remember that the rifle was really just a nice, nice gun. Well-made, had solid quality, and because it was a CZ, was underpriced and basically a fantastic value. I liked the slickness of the bolt action, and the neat little set trigger. You pushed the trigger forward, and it would "set", and when pulled, would break at perhaps a pound of pressure. I also remember mine being quite accurate even with cheap Wolf ammo, although since it was a bolt action, and a short, light carbine, it kicked surprisingly hard.

MrPlink
02-21-2011, 1:44 PM
What kind of groupings can one expect with this rifle?

smittty
02-21-2011, 3:13 PM
NEAT rifle, I'm jealous! One of my hunting rifles is a Mini-30, the caliber is more than adequate for CA sized deer and eating sized pigs - not sure I'd trifle with a 400 lb pig I wouldn't want to eat.....

Not sure where you're hunting, if non-Condor contaminated, I'd recommend the Winchester Super-X. Good bullet, good brass, good accuracy. For "condor safe" ammo, if you reload, Barnes makes an excellent bullet, as previously mentioned. That's the ONLY .315 non-lead bullet I've been able to find, so you're kind of stuck there.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=170874

For factory non-lead ammo, you'll need to look to the smaller shops and plan on a wallet-ectomy.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_71&products_id=375
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=259369

Figure you can reload 50 rds of hunting ammo for the same $$ as buying 20 rds of commercial ammo.

Regards,
Brian in CA

I'm currently looking for a hunting rifle in 7.62x39 and I read a bunch of internet bs about the bore and bullet diameters so today I spoke with customer servcie at Barnes and their bullet diameter for this caliber is 0.310", not 0.308" as many internet topics state.

Their lead free ammo should work well in the CZ rifle. I've been contemplating getting one of these rifles for some time. Please give us a review once you get some range time with it.

Thanks,
Smitty

brianinca
02-21-2011, 4:48 PM
>>>
I spoke with customer servcie at Barnes and their bullet diameter for this caliber is 0.310"
>>>

I apologize, I dropped a decimal in my post, the nominal bullet diameter is 0.3105 for the Barnes 123 gr.

Regards,
Brian in CA

smittty
02-21-2011, 4:59 PM
>>>
I spoke with customer servcie at Barnes and their bullet diameter for this caliber is 0.310"
>>>

I apologize, I dropped a decimal in my post, the nominal bullet diameter is 0.3105 for the Barnes 123 gr.

Regards,
Brian in CA

I wasn't pointing out an error, I was mostly trying to say it's not 0.308 like a lot of people think. I thought it was .308 because that's what I read elsewere on the internet. It's the reason I never bought the Barnes ammo but now I want to try it.

The guy I spoke with at Barnes also told me that the newer Mini-30's have the correct bore diameter for this caliber. So now I'm wondering which rifle to buy, CZ 527 or the Mini-30.

brianinca
02-21-2011, 5:36 PM
>>>
I wasn't pointing out an error,
>>>

No worries, didn't think you were. I re-read the post I made and went "oh, geeeze...."

The CZ set trigger is NEAT, I've shot a walking varminter 527 in 223 and was very impressed. That would be a rifle I'd consider if the right deal came along, and I do NOT need yet another hunting rifle. Great build quality, nice handling and quite accurate. I can't believe that a follow up shot with a bolt gun is going to be all that much slower than a semi-auto, if done properly.

I bought my Mini-30 long enough ago that Walmart still sold guns in CA, however reluctantly. I'm a Garand guy and the familiarity was a positive. I find it a HANDY brush gun that's easy to throw in the truck and have at hand for hogs as well as a good deer season rifle. More than accurate enough for the reasonable ranges the cartridge is good for, utterly reliable, and easy to scope (came with rings). I've got factory 5 rd and VERY good 10 rd magazines, though I've thrown away many BAD 10 rd mags (after stomping them).

Also, the Mini-30's have had .310/.311 bores for >20 years, only the first production used .308 barrels from the failed XGI product.

The trigger is a Garand type, pretty easy to clean up if you or some gunsmith you know is familiar with Garands. More than decent then, nothing like the set trigger on the CZ.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Brian in CA

ElvenSoul
02-21-2011, 5:38 PM
Don't get a mini 30..vz 58 from czechpoint...far more accurate...

smittty
02-21-2011, 6:11 PM
Don't get a mini 30..vz 58 from czechpoint...far more accurate...

I already have a converted Saiga but want something more traditional looking. I'm a fan of CZ guns and if I had choice of the 527 carbine or Mini-30 I'd choose the CZ.

WDE91
02-21-2011, 9:18 PM
thats not even a contest
mini 30 or a CZ?

CZ hands down

lawboy
03-11-2011, 5:19 AM
Some interesting info. on the 7.62x39 here.
I am the OP on the thread.
Enjoy that carbine, they are fantastic.
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81943