PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Socom 16

Diesel95
02-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

I've posted on here a couple of times about a Socom 16 and where to get one. Well with your help and advice I was able to bring one home today and got to put 130 rounds through it. The rifle worked flawlessly with 3 different types of ammo. I am having a weird problem with the bolt getting hung up when I try to send it forward. Here is what I am doing and the problem I am having. I will fire a magazine until it is empty(with no problems) and the bolt locks to the rear. I will then remove and reload that 10 round magazine(it's the only one I have right now)and reinsert it into my rifle. Then I will attempt to pull the charging handle to the rear to chamber a round from the magazine but the bolt is getting hung up on some internal part of the rifle with restricts me from moving the charging handle all the way to the rear so that I can release it and chamber the first round from the magazine. It is absolutely not the magazines fault, I sat there and played with it a hundred times and it does it almost everytime, even when there is no magazine inserted. From the time I started to the end of my first shoot it was getting easier and easier to charge the handle from the locked position but it still makes a new daddy concerned. Is this a breaking in problem that will go away after the weapon gets more rounds through it or should I be calling springfield already. Other then this little hang up the weapon is perfect. Never jams, no misfires. But for some reason it's getting bound up inside when I try to manipulate the locked bolt to the rear on a loaded magazine. Has anyone else experienced this with a new M1A of any length or model? Please let me know if I'm worrying too much or not enough. Thanks you. P.S. Great shooting rifle!

Ak707
02-20-2011, 1:02 AM
Try taking it apart and look for un normal wear. I'm not familiar with that rifle but that's the first thing I would do.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

NewbieDave
02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Make sure the area on the bolt that's riding the receiver and charging handle is well oiled. Also, check for binding/rubbing on the charging handle.

~dpc

tommyid1
02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
hmmm there really shouldnt be anything binding it up. remove the rifle from the stock and remove the recoil spring and spring guide. tilt the rifle up and down. the bolt and oprod should fully close and move all the way open with just gravity. if you can watch it maybe the oprod is binding somehow or maybe the reciever bridge is machined wrong for some reason or the firing pin is catching or something. look ont he back of the bolt where the firing pin is and look for burrs or abnormal wear. the bridge is the cross piece in the middle of the reciever that keeps the firing pin back untill the bolt is in full battery. approximately where in the stroke is it getting stuck. pictures could help.