View Full Version : Which is more accurate?

02-19-2011, 8:33 PM
Chromed lined hammer forged barrells or stainless?? Any advice is appreciated.

02-19-2011, 8:36 PM

02-19-2011, 8:44 PM

+1 on the stainless.

02-19-2011, 10:05 PM
why? and stats backing these answers up? Just curious

02-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I was told a long time ago that the harder the metal the more the rifle groves work the bullet as it travels. However Stainless can be a real b**** to maintain some times. The accuracy gains aren't that much.

02-19-2011, 10:18 PM
If you want accuracy then buy 'match' grade barrels and match grade smithing work. The material doesn't decide the accuracy of the barrel. It's the quality paid to the entire manufacturing process for accuracy that matters. And who actually make it shoot accurately? you! 2moa shooter won't get .5moa groups.

My FN A3G has a factory guarantee of .5moa and has a 3-shot test group of .19" at 100 yards. It's hammer forged and chrome lined and FBI standard issue sniper rifle. My custom Remington Palma rifle has a stainless Krieger barrel with tight neck/throat chamber that shoots less than .5moa. My Armalite AR15T upper shoots .75MOA groups all day and it's stainless. My Savage 10FP 223 has blue steel barrel and shoots less than .5MOA all day.

I have both types of barrel shoot really accurate or not at all. I'd like to know how stainless make a barrel more accurate?

02-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah, you can have stainless but the bore at the chamber is .224 while in mid it somehow is .225 and at the end is .223...that wont be as accurate as a chromeline that is straight and .224 all thew ay thru.

Reason why it cost more when you buy higher end barrels. With that said, stainless is easier to work with so its easier to get that straightness match shooters look for even though it wares out quicker.

02-20-2011, 7:57 AM
Dont forget to include cut/button/hammer forged rifling in the accuracy mix.

02-20-2011, 8:45 AM
If you're asking which is better, you probably won't see a difference.;)

Stainless if absolute accuracy is foremost, chrome-lined chrome-moly if barrel life is the most important.

Try... Beating another dead horse (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Chromed+lined+hammer+forged+barrells+or+stainle ss%3F%3F)

02-20-2011, 9:32 AM
stainless match barrels win by a landslide....

02-20-2011, 9:37 AM
As Swerv aluded to, ask which material is represented at National Match and Championship competitions ? With bolt guns, at least, I think you will find stainless by a large margin. Anyone else on this ?

02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
People talk about "landslides" and "large margins," but that's kind of from a Bench shooting POV where .001" makes a difference. Most shooters, even most casual target shooters, will never notice the difference if the maker is the same.

Who makes the barrel matters far, far more than whether it's stainless or chrome-lined.

The vast majority of top professional shooters go with stainless, but we're talking about people who flock like pigeons to a new bullet coating material from a laboratory somewhere in the Antarctic at $300/lb because it makes a barely statistically-recognizable difference in group size. :)

Shooting at your local range at 100 yards, you won't be able to measure the difference, most likely. CL barrels are usually easier to maintain, which matters more to more people.

Now, if you're planning on 1000 yard competitions, that's another matter, and you should call Krieger or Lilja and ask them. :)

02-20-2011, 1:02 PM
That is a tricky question as there are too many variables. While SS barrels will "generally" be more accurate their are times where chrome lined hammer forged will be more accurate. It really depends on what the manufacturer uses for SS and their process. I can say that LaRue, Noveske, WOA, etc make some very accurate SS barrels along with Lilja and Krieger.

02-20-2011, 1:07 PM

Omni guns of SoCal
02-20-2011, 1:10 PM
Stainless barrels are used to fullfill a precision role while maintaining flawless functionality. Stainless barrels are used in any precision application and have the edge for accuracy and reliability.

02-20-2011, 1:13 PM
RRA NM stainless barrel (Predator Pursuit) is pretty accurate as well.

02-20-2011, 3:30 PM
Heres the deal.

Chrome is applied to the barrel. The application or lining, is not the most precise process. The bore diameter may not be even all the way through. Due to inconsistencies in the chrome lining process, they will typically be less accurate.

Stainless steel, however, is all stainless steel. It is all the same metal and thus is more consistent, and consistency is key when it comes to precision.

Pretty much the only consistently sub-MOA shooting barrels that I have seen are made by FN and Rock Creek. Others may be 1.5-3 MOA with the occasional sub-MOA group, but they just aren't consistently capable of producing ultra tight groups like a good quality SS barrel can.

02-20-2011, 3:52 PM
Barrel FAQshttp://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/barrel-faq/

As long as a barrel maker holds tight tolerances the odds of getting a shooter are good.

Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux, Broughton, on and on we go.

02-20-2011, 5:14 PM
accuracy also has to do with bbl profile, a lw bbl wil tend to flex a little more during the firing cycle than a bull bbl

02-20-2011, 5:21 PM
Not so much flex, but a narrower contour will heat up faster. Therefore, your groups will open up due to heat distortion in the metal. A lightweight barrel can produce the same accuracy as a heavyweight. They just tolerate different amounts of heat.