PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

BigJB
02-19-2011, 5:00 PM
Thanks

Swift Justice
02-19-2011, 5:45 PM
Ping board member "wazzock"; he is an early min 14 afficionado and could probably answer your question. $200 for an early mini is a killer deal.

smle-man
02-19-2011, 5:55 PM
Pictures will help to determine what this is all about. I had a first year of production Mini 14 when they first came out in the mid 70s and don't remember any holes in the receiver except for the hold open lever on the left side of the receiver.

Californio
02-19-2011, 5:58 PM
I have an 181, post some pictures.

Jonathan Doe
02-19-2011, 6:33 PM
If it is just an issue with the stock only, a hole(s) in the stock, I will jump on it for $200. In the worst case scenario, you can buy a newer stock for pretty cheap. As a matter of fact, when I buy guns, the condition does not really matter if the price is right. I have been to many armorer school and gunsmithing school. I can bring the gun to good working condition.

It sounds like it is in working condition. Maybe you can just patch the hole with epoxy. No?

(Come to think of it, I wonder if it was originally a full auto model with selector and other parts removed.)

http://www.westcountyguns.com/frankpics/116.jpg

smle-man
02-19-2011, 11:16 PM
The hole in the stock is only there t provide access to the hole in what I guess is the trigger assembly just below the spot where the sear engages the hammer. The hole in the assembly is in fact threaded. Something has obviously been in there, as the sear has a wear mark where something was contacting it from this hole.

I understand $200 a smokin deal, nothing worth prison time. That is why I am asking about it first.

I think you summarized the danger here pretty clearly. Pass.

thevic
02-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Ill take it if everyone is afraid of it :)

Old Scribe
02-20-2011, 8:28 AM
I have a late model 180 series and there is no hole in the stock as you mentioned nor is there one in the receiver. Buyer beware. Have a gun smith check it out.

drclark
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I would be leery of any firearm where the fire control parts appear to have been tinkered with. Legal issues aside, the gun could be down right unsafe to fire in its current condition if someone had been monkeying with any of the sear engagement surfaces.

DarkHorse
02-20-2011, 1:53 PM
The screws seen in the linked picture most likely hold a metal insert, like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=552673

This was a factory piece for wood stocks, but I don't know for which years. For the 580-series, the synthetic stock did not have this but wood-stocked versions do.

My 580-series had the synthetic stock, and thus no holes, but I have used it in an aftermarket stock that required the metal insert, and I don't think the factory screws contacted the trigger group or receiver, but since I don't have that stock anymore, I can't really be sure.

It could also be part of a bedding job that secured the stock to the receiver in an attempt to get some accuracy out of the rifle.

bohoki
02-20-2011, 6:07 PM
can you inspect it

like field strip in at inspect the trigger housing take some pics

its probably nothing even if someone attempted to make if full auto you can tell there wil be loose parts and weird wear marks generally a trigger assembly should be an even blackish color

i worry taking it to a nosy ffl may bring up questions (biggest fear)

you could just transfer the barreled receiver at a dealer then find a new stock at a gunshow at your leisure keeping all other parts

we are all thinking the hole has nefarious intent it may be some hillbilly scope mounting method as far as i know
or may have been a burrowing bee