PDA

View Full Version : San Temiteo canyon redlands area clean up

integraracer157
02-19-2011, 3:19 PM
Ive been shooting at San Temiteo canyon range for 15 years. my dad sense her was little. I stopped going a few years back because sheriff comes out for noise. But he told me they only check for dumping because people dump there crap there. Can we see if we all cleaned it if we could shoot in peace. its a nice free shooting area. i stopped going last year due to time. but use to go to pick up brass to load. But now that inland F&G in down. would be a great place. Anyone have any updates on the canyon? anyone still going there?

Baconator
02-19-2011, 3:20 PM
I didn't even know you could shoot out there.

David
02-19-2011, 4:16 PM
Used to shoot in San T canyon many years ago, back in the days when no one seemed to care. Can you tell us exactly where in the canyon this place is, and what assures you that it's legal?

emtnsocali
02-19-2011, 5:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure you can shoot there anymore. Actually from what I was told is they didn't want people shooting but hunting was ok. Most of that land is a preserve now, at least the section south of san Tim road and north of the freeway. and some is owned by Edison I believe. What part are you referring to?

Antihero47
02-19-2011, 9:55 PM
Years ago, maybe 7-8 I went out there and played paintball out in the woods with friends. This was north of the tracks and into the wash area. I've never gone shooting down there with actual firearms but I do believe we heard reports far away in the distance a few times.

integraracer157
02-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Its hard to explain, if your coming from Redlands its about 1/4 mile past turn off for Mo Valley. instead of turning to Mo val go straight and it a dirt road 1/4 mile past. Nothing is posted. and when I called Riverside county sheriffs dept they said you can shoot unless they come out for noise complaint. then they ask you to leave. But that usually only happens if there's allot of shooters. That was a year ago. I went by there to see if anything was posted but i didnt see any signs of no trespassing or shooting.

I know its county land and not private. The power company grades the road once a year which is nice. is gets washed out allot. Fine for trucks. A little rough for cars. I just talked to a friend that was out there a few days ago. He said lots of recent shells and brass.

Gigan
02-20-2011, 8:12 AM
I take that road every day to work cool info

integraracer157
02-23-2011, 2:27 PM
ya it would be great to get it popular again. its free and close to us redlands and surrounding areas. If we cleaned it up with permission it would be great

River Jack
02-23-2011, 3:20 PM
I used to shoot there since I was a kid as well. Not sure, but I think that area it is now a conservaation area under the Western Riverside County Multiple Species Conservation Plan, which would likely make shooting there unlawful. A couple years back, I remember seeing signs posted stating that the dirt road in was private property and that trespassers would be prosecuted. Haven't been there since.

Got Stuff?
02-23-2011, 8:02 PM
If it's still ok to shoot there, I'm up for spending a little clean up time on it.

bootless
02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I know where you are talking about and unfortunately I believe it is in Riverside County and it is a hunting only zone (no target shooting). The county is divided into a western section and eastern section. You can hunt/target shoot in the eastern section. You can only hunt in the western section, which I believe is the area you are referring to. This is explained in County Ordinance 514. If I'm wrong and it's in San Bernardino County and LEGAL to target shoot, I'd be down to help clean up.

Here's another thread with more details, links, and a really nice map that Ed8756 created.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=388656

integraracer157
02-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I was there a year ago. A guy that lives close by put that sign up but it was taken down. Its owned by Riverside county. I had my dad run the property, he is in title. Wish we could find out if it was legal or not to go there.

axel4488
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
its the fire trail behind ironwood right? it takes you from Reche canyon to Moreno Beach drive.

integraracer157
02-27-2011, 11:02 PM
No. It goes in about 2 miles then ends.

The east and west riverside map is also confusing because it list allot of other canyons like bee canyon and etc. in the yellow zone.

bootless
02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
If you read Riverside County Or. 514 it details a dividing line running north through the county. Anything west of the line is off limits to target shooting (this area is west and off limits). Bee Canyon is east of this line and legal.

bootless
02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
There are many places where people target shoot in Western Riverside County that are technically illegal to shoot according to Or. 514. However, this does not mean that you will easily find a LEO who has heard of this ordinance, let alone enforce it.

integraracer157
03-02-2011, 1:45 PM
Im going to try and makes some calls and contacts to see if we can shoot there. It really sucks we keep losing ranges. Mostly due to people being irresponsible. Its a great range that My family has been shooting at for over 25 years. And I know a few redlands LEO that also shoot there sense they were kids as well.

ligiahag7902
03-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I used to shoot there since I was a kid as well. Not sure, but I think that area it is now a conservaation area under the Western Riverside County Multiple Species Conservation Plan, which would likely make shooting there unlawful. A couple years back, I remember seeing signs posted stating that the dirt road in was private property and that trespassers would be prosecuted. Haven't been there since.

I also think so.

ConvertiBee
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
I know exactly where you're talking about, and I used to shoot there until a CHP cop pulled in and offered me (2) choices:
1: Pack up and leave, never to return again, or
2: He would arrest me for trespassing, illegal shooting, and and seize my Mini-14 as evidence.
I took option 1, I hav'nt and won't go back again.

integraracer157
03-27-2011, 4:20 PM
A CHP? They were far out of there jurisdiction. Ive only seen riverside county sheriff.

Gigan
03-28-2011, 7:49 PM
There is a CHP that lives there, I see him leave his house all the time in the early morning hours.

SoCalJ
03-29-2011, 6:19 PM
There is a CHP that lives there, I see him leave his house all the time in the early morning hours.

I nominate you as our liaison...

:D

Gigan
03-29-2011, 7:29 PM
Haha, Not a good idea to approach him at 5:20 am In the front of his house while he's warming up his Motorcycle about to head out to work maybe :P

CaliNoMag
05-26-2011, 4:58 PM
its riverside county, and in the western zone.

however its 2 miles from the roads, and 1 mile and over a hill from a house.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/county-maps/california/riverside-county-map.html

Ron-Solo
05-27-2011, 2:34 PM
A CHP? They were far out of there jurisdiction. Ive only seen riverside county sheriff.

CHP's jurisdiction is statewide. All roads-All codes.

They have primary jurisdiction for traffic in all the unincorporated (county) areas of the state.