PDA

View Full Version : Got an 18" Barrel for my Remington 870

tman
09-21-2006, 4:02 PM
I bought a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express (black synthetic) a few months ago as my first firearm. I got the 26" or 28" barrel.

Today I finally went and got the 18" barrel I've been wanting for it. It looks even shorter than I expected. I guess I was just used to the barrel being very long. So far very glad I went ahead and got it.

Next on the list: Knoxx Specops Folder, Mag Extension, and then some kind of mounted flashlight and/or laser sight. Then I think it will be complete.

So far I have yet to come up with a better home defense weapon than a Remington 870 with those modifications. Am I wrong?

rorschach
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
So far I have yet to come up with a better home defense weapon than a Remington 870 with those modifications. Am I wrong?

Nope.

Flashlight would be more useful than a laser, IMO.

When casual or non shooting friends ask me what kind of shotgun they should get for home defense (or for any purpose), I reply "Three words:"

"Eight"
"Seven"
"Zero"

'Nuff said.

Tweak338
09-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Here's mine, I'm just waiting on the installation of the ghost rings.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/han_cholo/Water%20Tower/DSC_0475.jpg

i love the green on black :D

what did you use?

anotherone
09-27-2006, 1:33 PM

Springfield XD-45 Tactical with Surefire M3 Tactical light and hollow points... that's what I use. If you're using an 870 for home defense though you'll definitely want a folding stock though so you can maneuver around tight corners so the set-up your proposing is correct except I'd use a flashlight in place of a laser.

NwG
09-27-2006, 9:19 PM
Springfield XD-45 Tactical with Surefire M3 Tactical light and hollow points... that's what I use. If you're using an 870 for home defense though you'll definitely want a folding stock though so you can maneuver around tight corners so the set-up your proposing is correct except I'd use a flashlight in place of a laser.

No need for a folding stock.. There are ready positions that make the shotgun very maneuverable and quick on target.. If you think about it a shotgun is only a few inches longer than a pistol held pointed in... The lack of a stock greatly decreases the speed of follow-up shots and the accuracy of all shots.. Plus you give up a major strike face that can be used if (when) something goes wrong...

The light is all you need.. No real use for a laser IMO...

IMO a shotgun is as good as it gets for home defense.. The stopping power is second to none.. It has been said before.. Use your pistol to fight to your long-gun..

Santa Cruz Armory
09-27-2006, 9:36 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/han_cholo/Water%20Tower/DSC_0475.jpg

I like the Samuel L. Jackson sticker... "Bad Muther F*#@ker" ! :D

ohsmily
09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
No need for a folding stock..

+1 I used to have a top folder, mostly for looks, and then realized a straight stock with a pistol grip was more practical, lighter weight, and more reliable than a folding stock.

The shotgun that han cholo posted (assuming it has a side saddle on the other side of the receiver) is just about perfect for home defense...(doesn't need the Samuel L. sticker though).

Mssr. Eleganté
09-28-2006, 12:28 AM
(doesn't need the Samuel L. sticker though).

Agreed.

You can find generic Bad Axx Mother Fxxxxx stickers for much less money that work just as well as the Samuel L. Jackson ones.

tman
10-02-2006, 8:26 AM
What I should of said is that a laser goes good along with a flashlight. Having to choose one or the other, the flashlight does seem like the logical choice for home defense.

han_cholo: What kind of light setup is that and how do you like it? If you don't mind.