PDA

View Full Version : Savage Mdl 12 in 260 Rem

Bill Steele
02-19-2011, 12:25 PM
So I am mulling getting something to punch paper with this coming summer.

I want a nice bench gun that won't break the bank to start, but gives me some upside longer term.

A Savage Model 12 Long Range in Remington 260 has caught my eye and I was wondering what others thought of this gun.

I would also appreciate any other ideas you have on the subject.

BigJB
02-19-2011, 3:52 PM
Most accurate bang for the buck as far as I am concerned.

might consider a different caliber that offers more/cheaper ammo choices. .243 .308

huckberry668
02-19-2011, 4:07 PM
Savage rifles are stunningly accurate compare to other brands/models of similarly priced rifles. I have a model 10 in 223, shoots less than .5MOA all day long with match ammo. My Stevens 200 (cheaper version of Savage) is wearing a McGowen 260Rem barrel and it shoots less than MOA.

My buddy bought a 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284 and we shot it last week, it turned in several 3-shot groups under .3" at 100 yards and all groups for his load development were under 1".

Personally, I think 260Rem makes more sense than 6.5-284 or other 6.5 cals. Mine gets 2920fps from 140gr SMK bullets. cheaper brass, short action, excellent ballistics all the way out to beyond 1000 yards easily.

however, Savage rifles are not quite as refined as Rem or Win or other higher end rifles. Bolt lift is heavy, extraction/ejection isn't always 100%. But there are fixes for them. Savage customer service is 2nd to none.

The 12 LRP you want has a HS Precision stock and heavy barrel and it is nice! If I were to buy a factory 260, this one would be my pick too. so i'd say go for it, i think you'll be surprised at how easy it is to shoot accurately. Make sure you let us know how it shoots.

Bill Steele
02-19-2011, 5:50 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, very encouraging.

I am loading myself, so the cost of ammo shouldn't be a great deal more than more common calibers like .243 and .308. Things like brass seem to be about 20% less for 243/308, than equivalent 260 Remington, but I will get more than one firing out of it. The other stuff seems about the same.

Another factor was the .243 (in this particular gun) has a barrel twist of 1 in 9.25", while the 6.5 Creedmore and 260 Remington both come with 1 in 8" twists. Some of the lighter bullets I have been looking at for this application (SMK's, Berger, etc.), seem to come with a "only in 1 in 8" barrels.." kind of comments.

Anyway, if I get this done, I will be back soon asking all sorts of dumb questions about the various "4350" powders, etc.

Some fun.

Divernhunter
02-19-2011, 7:40 PM
The 260Rem was started as a paper punching target round. It is a good one. I have only one Savage, a varmit barreled 204ruger, and have had zero problems with it. It is also more accurate than most shooters.

huckberry668
02-19-2011, 8:25 PM
the 4831s are better than any 4350 from my experience with loading for 260Rem and 6.5-284. the H4831SC to be exact.

Bill Steele
02-20-2011, 7:54 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the experience and feedback.

The other option offered in this particular model is the 6.5 Creedmoor. I know absolutely nothing about this cartridge and none of my load books even have a load spec. The only thing I have uncovered on the possible benefits of this round is Hornaday is behind it pretty soldily, so they are keeping brass prices down (seems in the range of .243 brass).

Another possible benefit is I have found a few of this model Savage in stock, while as best as I can tell, there are no Savage Model 12 LRP chambered in 260 REM anywhere in the country, so maybe a special order would be needed (that sounds like I won't be shooting one this summer :) )

Any thoughts?

Snapping Twig
02-20-2011, 8:24 PM
LOVE the .260!

.308 family and the 6.5 bullet is not only widely available in various configurations, it's ability to harvest game is legendary. That bullet is deadly well beyond the statistics. I shoot the 6.5-06 and it is DEADLY.

You can buck the wind for long range and it's powerful enough to take moose.

As a reloader, you owe it to yourself to own a rifle in .260.

killshot44
02-20-2011, 8:58 PM
Call up "Effie" at Savage's Custom Shop. (800-370-0708 ext6)
They'll build it for you. Might as well have 'em turn a second barrel for you. You'll be needing it in ~2,500rounds. It's a FANTASTIC long range round, but a bit of a barrel burner.

Bill Steele
02-21-2011, 7:57 AM
Thanks for the hookup with Effie. If I get 2500-3000 rounds from the barrel, I would be pretty happy.

One kink in the plan is I just found out the guys at EO are doing a special group build/buy for some Sako TRG's in 260 Rem. The good news is I can get one sometime in April, the bad news is it will cost me about $3000, and I think that is before bases, etc., let alone the glass I will have to be be buying so they don't laugh at me when I show up with that beauty.

People wonder why everything in the military costs so much, hell, I know why.

Thanks again on the help.

rksimple
02-21-2011, 9:27 AM
To how far do you plan to shoot? Just paper? Hunting? Matches?

Savages are quite accurate rifles but have their own problems that manifest themselves in demanding conditions. The 260 is a fantastic caliber with a great set of attributes for long range precision work. The distance at which you plan to shoot will dictate whether or not you need those advantages. 4350 is often he go to powder for the 260 with heavies, but I got by fine with H4831. Its a little slower, but the accuracy was better in my rifle. 2500 rounds is a decent estimate under match conditions, but if its a bench rifle that never gets hot, and you keep the load below nuclear, you could get to 4k.

Bill Steele
02-21-2011, 9:57 AM
To how far do you plan to shoot? Just paper? Hunting? Matches?

Savages are quite accurate rifles but have their own problems that manifest themselves in demanding conditions. The 260 is a fantastic caliber with a great set of attributes for long range precision work. The distance at which you plan to shoot will dictate whether or not you need those advantages. 4350 is often he go to powder for the 260 with heavies, but I got by fine with H4831. Its a little slower, but the accuracy was better in my rifle. 2500 rounds is a decent estimate under match conditions, but if its a bench rifle that never gets hot, and you keep the load below nuclear, you could get to 4k.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just paper, bench rest shooting.

Eventually I might get into match shooting but to start, just for my own edification.