PDA

View Full Version : Magpul AR Mags... 20rd vs 30rd

shocknm
02-19-2011, 9:19 AM
"One week" until we can legally side-step the 10rd magazine constraint.

Got me to looking at Magpul mags for the AR platform.

Question: Have you found any upside to going with a 20 round magpul mag over the 30 rounder? (other than saving ammo, of course :D )

Along the lines of:

Tactical
Functional
Reliability
etc...

247Nino
02-19-2011, 9:22 AM
If you want to shoot your gun off a bench get the 20s

If you're going to take pictures of it get the 30s

They're both tactical, the advantage would be the 20s since they are smaller.
They are both functional and reliable.

Exile Machine
02-19-2011, 9:27 AM
They're all good. Get some of each.
-Mark

secretasianman
02-19-2011, 9:33 AM

Question: Have you found any upside to going with a 20 round magpul mag over the 30 rounder? (other than saving ammo, of course :D )

I have some of both and they're both reliable.

Bench shooting: Use the 20 round or even a short 10 rounder.

Tactical shooting or SHTF situation: Grab the 30 rounders.

In other words buy only 1 or 2 20 rounders and spend the rest of your money on the 30 rounders.

OutlawDon
02-19-2011, 9:36 AM
What happens in one week with this side step thing??

Which Way Out
02-19-2011, 9:38 AM

Along the lines of:

Tactical
Functional
Reliability
etc...

Did I miss something ?
Soon we may no longer be restricted to 10 rd mags ?

ZombieTactics
02-19-2011, 9:40 AM
It's been my experience - with PMAGS - that the 30-rounders have an issue with not being 30-rounders reliably. As such, I load mine only with 29-rounds. I've noted that some people have this problem, some don't, and it doesn't seem to be limited to any particular make/model of rifle.

Then again, I have some 10-round mags which quite reliably go to 11 (couldn't resist Spinal Tap reference, lol)

WhiteCBR
02-19-2011, 9:40 AM

Ya srsly what? Wut wut in the butt?

247Nino
02-19-2011, 9:41 AM

hopefully we do a 30round mag dance?

Ub3rDorK
02-19-2011, 9:54 AM

If you're going to take pictures of it get the 30rd

Hahahahahahahahha

mlevans66
02-19-2011, 9:59 AM
OK what are we talking about with the 30 round mag thing? Are some laws going to change that we can use real mags now or is this a sucky joke? Oh and by the way the 20 round mags are pretty good for bench rest.

sevensix2x51
02-19-2011, 10:02 AM
it might have something to do with that thread in the 2a section that has over 1300 replies and 72THOUSAND views... you guys have really never seen it??

THT
02-19-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=375349

evidens83
02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Hicaps and CA what????!!!!!! Theres way too much info and chatting going on in that link posted above... What happens in two weeks??!!?!?!?!?!

OutlawDon
02-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Hicaps and CA what????!!!!!! Theres way too much info and chatting going on in that link posted above... What happens in two weeks??!!?!?!?!?!

Exactly.

Solid intel cliff's notes please. Thanks.

dieselpower
02-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I read where Gene was going to put out a youtube on this. I don't know if he has yet. I stopped following the thread.

I pointed out in another thread the large capacity magazine exemption in (30) (C) allows anyone who sells to the military as per federal law to be exempt from the law. So basically if you want to manufacture, use large capacity magazines in CA you get a business license and Federal CAGE code. You are now eligible to sell the magazines to the military if they choose to buy from you. I have no idea how much a business license cost in CA, but federal cage codes are free. You just list your company in the CCR.gov registry under small arms magazines, M16, Glock...blah blah blah family firearms. If the .gov calls to order you give them a price , timeline. If they like that price and time table to supply the magazines, you get the contract. if not...oh well. The law doesn't force you to actually have a sales contract or any contract, only that you are willing to sell.

sevensix2x51
02-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Exactly.

Solid intel cliff's notes please. Thanks.

11+ round mags for legal sale in ca soon. Watch that thread for developments.

/cliff notes.

Honestly, its totally secret until it actually happens.

SoCal Gunner
02-19-2011, 10:34 AM
it might have something to do with that thread in the 2a section that has over 1300 replies and 72THOUSAND views... you guys have really never seen it??

Great comment, and as someone who has read it, a fair response.

mlevans66
02-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I just read that thread Kalgunner are referring to and lets face it. It was confusing and crap! I read that one guy was a lawyer and was already giving up on CCW and Hi-cap mag being sold. Look, after that AZ. shooting we all could see the rest of the states being turned into Kali. and having to use 10 round mags. I say fight on harder for your gun rights cause those anti-gunner are fighting just as hard. Even overseas they are fighting for there rights to just defend themselves against burglers (http://volokh.com/2011/02/14/english-police-remove-wire-mesh-from-your-windows-as-burglars-could-be-injured/). Do you want to be like them? Fight (LEGALLY) for every right you have and even fight the battle you THINK you might be losing. The sun will shine on a dog's butt at least once a day.

shark92651
02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Now I'm just waiting for the dozens of calgunners to start asking if this means they can use 30 round mags in their Bullet Button rifles :( This is going to confuse so many people, LOL.

Lone_Gunman
02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Cliff notes-

Gene says that they have figured out a viable work around for the mag ban. It isn't something that can be fixed by the state. It has taken some time to set up logistically. The next step should occur on or around Feb. 28th. It is unclear if this is the final step before we are able to purchase. Mags will be more expensive than they are in the free states due to the extra steps involved, maybe double. Mags will need to stay in CA after purchase, they can't be taken out of state and brought back in. They can't be transfered or given to anyone else by the purchaser. How exactly this is going to happen is known by very few people. I am not one of them. Gene says is's gonna happen, so I trust it is going to happen.

Endless
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I am not a Pmag fan at all so I wouldnt spend money on either. I run Hk 416 30 rounders or Colt 20 rounders and thats it. Everyone and their mother has Pmags and think they look cool. To me loading them is clumsy and they feel cheap thus me not owning them.

I really hope there is a work around the 10 round law for military as I am in that boat and a California resident.

rojocorsa
02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Gawd that sounds confusing...

rareair
02-19-2011, 12:39 PM

If you're going to take pictures of it get the 30s

Or install some Ranger plates on the bottom of those PMag30 and use them as a mono-pod when shooting from a bench

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/large/418.jpg

Lone_Gunman
02-19-2011, 1:15 PM
I am not a Pmag fan at all so I wouldnt spend money on either. I run Hk 416 30 rounders or Colt 20 rounders and thats it. Everyone and their mother has Pmags and think they look cool. To me loading them is clumsy and they feel cheap thus me not owning them.

I really hope there is a work around the 10 round law for military as I am in that boat and a California resident.

How about a work around for everyone rather that setting up even more classes of citizens. How about some equality.

aermotor
02-19-2011, 2:34 PM
None of my 20 rounders feed properly. On the 7th or 8th round they don't allow it to feed right, annoys me to no end. I think they fixed that problem though. My 30s have been fine.

Endless
02-19-2011, 4:14 PM
[/B]

How about a work around for everyone rather that setting up even more classes of citizens. How about some equality.

That too, I agree to a point. There is obviously hundreds of reasons California residents can't currently go down and buy a 150-200 round beta magazines at a local gun store. Do I think its fair? Not really, but everyone knows life isn't always fair. I am not going to debate this. California DOJ passed laws for a reason. Do I like them, hell no. I am just like the rest of you with some of the total BS laws. A bullet button? Give me a f**ken break. That's totally ghetto along with that ugly a** attached pistol grip. Another POS. Oregon and Washington gun stores can't believe some of the BS you guys have to put up with and I totally agree. Nobody should have to utilize a BB or RADD lock. Worthess..

Sorry about my rant...I just hate California laws like you guys and feel for you. I am taking advantage while I am in a free state.

Ak707
02-19-2011, 5:23 PM
20 round pmags don't have a anti tilt follower or what ever it's called, 30 round pmags do. My riveted 10/30 pmag works fine no issues, I just bought a 10/20 pmag so I can't comment on those yet.!

Ak707
02-19-2011, 5:26 PM
I think the bullet button and hi cap mag laws are stupid because if your going to go on a killing spree it's not like you can't take off your bullet button and drill out the rivits or take out the blocks in ur hi cap mags in less than 5 minutes..!

diginit
02-19-2011, 5:57 PM
Some of you guys need to browse the 2nd Amend. Related Legal & Political Discussion (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71) forum more often... As for the Pmags. I have one 10/20. It's OK. But I prefer military mags in my SU-16. Time tested...20's for the bench and 30's for everything else. 10's in my BB AR. :mad: Why our DOJ calls it an assualt weapon because it has a pistol grip is beyond even the most intelligent understanding. A bow and arrow, car, pointed stick, boot, rock, dirt, wd-40, windex, Almost anything, can be an assault weapon if used in that way. Do I have to be licensed to carry a pen or pencil? Don't forget about making dishes and lamps illegal. They can be hazardous to your health!

MudCamper
02-19-2011, 6:15 PM
Assuming there will be a work-around to the PC 12020 large capacity magazine import/sale/transfer ban, it will have no effect on the PC 12276 10-round limit on a featured rifles. You still can only use larger than 10-round mags in featureless rifles.

mrvash
02-19-2011, 7:30 PM
Assuming there will be a work-around to the PC 12020 large capacity magazine import/sale/transfer ban, it will have no effect on the PC 12276 10-round limit on a featured rifles. You still can only use larger than 10-round mags in featureless rifles.

Truth

dieselpower
02-19-2011, 9:16 PM
I think the bullet button and hi cap mag laws are stupid because if your going to go on a killing spree it's not like you can't take off your bullet button and drill out the rivits or take out the blocks in ur hi cap mags in less than 5 minutes..!

stop making sense...think about where you are.