PDA

View Full Version : Another OAL question.

OHW
02-19-2011, 9:26 AM
My understaning is that a thread-on flash hider does not count in OAL legal measurement.

The biggy is how about a screw attached stock pad? Or ever a slip-cover limb-saver stock pad?

My rifle appeasrs to be under 30 3/8" without taking off the FH to be sure. Cutting it very close if the 1" stock does not count.

ke6guj
02-19-2011, 9:34 AM
My understaning is that a thread-on flash hider does not count in OAL legal measurement.

The biggy is how about a screw attached stock pad? Or ever a slip-cover limb-saver stock pad?

why wouldn't a thread-on flash hider or stock pad (screw attached or slip-on) count towards OAL?

I think you are mixing up OAL requirements with barrel length requirements (where a flash-hider must be permanently attached if you need to help "make length")

rromeo
02-19-2011, 9:35 AM
A thread on flash hider counts for California 30" OAL, it does not count for a 16" minimum barrel.

Rukus
02-19-2011, 11:48 AM
A thread on flash hider counts for California 30" OAL, it does not count for a 16" minimum barrel.

There you go.

OHW
02-19-2011, 4:25 PM
There you go.

Not really.:(

Still need to know about stock add-ons. I have a 1" rubber buttpad. Does it count for OAL? What if the pad is a slip-on , like a limb-saver?

Rukus
02-19-2011, 5:01 PM
Pretty much anything attached to your stock will count for OAL. I've read of some AK builders attaching the bayonet to keep OAL for folding stocks. Just keep in mind that anything that is "slip-on" may readily come off in the "not-so-gentle" hands of an unscrupulous LEO who is looking to bust you.

Just out of curiosity, what type of rifle do you have that is so close to the length requirement?

OHW
02-19-2011, 6:44 PM
Pretty much anything attached to your stock will count for OAL. I've read of some AK builders attaching the bayonet to keep OAL for folding stocks. Just keep in mind that anything that is "slip-on" may readily come off in the "not-so-gentle" hands of an unscrupulous LEO who is looking to bust you.

Just out of curiosity, what type of rifle do you have that is so close to the length requirement?

I'm sure that same dishonest XXX could rip off the screw-on pad.

It is a m-forgery with ACE entry stock and 16' barrel. Just over 32" with FH and butt pad.

The reason for this is , I'm thinking of a rebarrell 14.5" with pinned FH to get right down to 30.oooooooo1"

CHS
02-19-2011, 6:59 PM
Stock pad is no problem. Definitely adds length to OAL.

Ak707
02-19-2011, 7:29 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want a 14.5" barrel if they just have to attach a flash hider or something to make it 16"
Someone enlighten me please.!

shark92651
02-19-2011, 7:59 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want a 14.5" barrel if they just have to attach a flash hider or something to make it 16"
Someone enlighten me please.!

Because a 14.5" barrel + a 1.5" flash-hider = 16"
but a 16" barrel + a 1.5" flash-hider = 17.5"

It's a full 1.5" shorter, yet still legal as long as the overall length is 30". I suppose you could go with a 16" barrel and just a thread protector, but then you lose the benefit of the muzzle device.