PDA

View Full Version : AK SCREW BUILD

bigboy
02-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Does anybody done this? Any bad experience/issues that came up?

arsilva32
02-19-2011, 3:09 AM
i was thinking a screw build would be better using the proper Torque and lock-tight on the receiver bolts and screws , but i have heard nothing but bad news regarding screws over riveting builds.

SJgunguy24
02-19-2011, 8:39 AM
Rivets are easier the trying to dig out that tap you just broke while attempting to thread your trunnion.

Wyseguy
02-19-2011, 8:59 AM
I know some builders slam the screw method, saying that you need rivets, but I've done many screw builds with no malfunctions. It's much easier to test fit everything with a screw build, and than, if you want, you can rivet it later.

247Nino
02-19-2011, 9:14 AM
I know some builders slam the screw method, saying that you need rivets, but I've done many screw builds with no malfunctions. It's much easier to test fit everything with a screw build, and than, if you want, you can rivet it later(with bigger rivets).

Pictures please...
Let me us see your screwed AKs (no pun intended)

I've never done a screw build, Grade 8 bolts + tapping is more expensive than riveting. And it just doesn't look right to me

bigthaiboy
02-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Pictures please...
Let me us see your screwed AKs (no pun intended

I've never done a screw build, Grade 8 bolts + tapping is more expensive than riveting. And it just doesn't look right to me

I built this screw build over 3.5 years ago. You have to bear in mind the home-build scene then, was very different from it is now. I also thought I was only going to build just the ONE AK and be done with it (how very wrong I was on that point), so I wasn't prepared to invest the 100's of $$ on buying rivet jigs, barrel removing tools and a 12 ton press just to get started.

Would I recommend a screw build now? No. Only because much has happened in AK building in the last few years, and there are build parties being organized all over CA now where you can get it built correctly with rivets. When I built my first AK, complete kits were only $99 so it was not a big deal, but with the price of kits now in the $300+ price range, there is little to no savings to buying a factory built rifle, so I feel you should get it done right. Also if you ever wanted to sell the rifle, think about the resale value.

Are screw builds dangerous or unreliable? No, not if you do your homework and find out the correct method of drilling and tapping a blind trunnion hole.

This rifle was my first attempt at building an AK, and it has had 1500+ rounds through it, without any problems, and no signs of the screws coming loose, etc. When I finally run out of kits to build, I will rebuild this rifle with rivets, but in the mean time, it remains one of my most dependable rifles.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/bigthaiboy/1stAK.jpg

JAGGUY
02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
bigthaiboy says it like it is. My first builds were screw builds. Very quick and easy, ran like they should. I ended up replacing them with later builds and selling them off as kits. With at least 1000 rounds through them the screws were still tight and broke loose with a snap.
I think they were safe enough for range shooting but they would be regarded by most the same as my HiPoints and Sigmas, which I also like a lot.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GWUISTER/ROMYG-R.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GWUISTER/ROMYG-LC.jpg

bigboy
02-19-2011, 6:50 PM
bigthaiboy says it like it is. My first builds were screw builds. Very quick and easy, ran like they should. I ended up replacing them with later builds and selling them off as kits. With at least 1000 rounds through them the screws were still tight and broke loose with a snap.
I think they were safe enough for range shooting but they would be regarded by most the same as my HiPoints and Sigmas, which I also like a lot.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GWUISTER/ROMYG-R.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GWUISTER/ROMYG-LC.jpg

Have you done the screw build on all of the places or did you just do the four on the front trunnion?

swift
02-19-2011, 7:05 PM
Did one screw build and had an excellent machinist help with the taps. No matter what I did, the screws on the front trunnion kept loosening. I replaced these screws with rivets and have had no problems since.

I still have screws in the rear trunnions and this has been working great.
My other builds have been with rivets. I recommend against a screw build.

Harbinger
02-19-2011, 7:08 PM
Just... no, dude.

Find a build party or make your own rivet smashing tools using bolt cutters.

Mike

JAGGUY
02-19-2011, 9:12 PM
Have you done the screw build on all of the places or did you just do the four on the front trunnion?

Had screws at all points except for the lower mag area where it is easy to squeeze in the swell necks. The swell neck rivets really lock the assy together so I had no worries.

Of course that was before build parties made it easier to access the tools necessary to pop the barrel and do it correctly. I ended up making all the necessary tools to get it done and borrowing a press to build the rest.