PDA

View Full Version : Question for KAC SR-15 E3 IWS Upper owners

nomad05
02-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I've begun development an "epic" custom build AR-15 project. Naturally, I'm trying to talk myself into saving up for the KAC SR-15 E3 IWS over the next few months. However, I can't find any shop in my area of SoCal that has one so I can get a gauge for its weight profile.

For the stock, I really dig the Magpul UBR for its solidness. But I've handled it mainly on heavier rifles with longer barrels. I'm concerned it may be a counter intuitive match given the lightness of the KAC upper.

(Most KAC uppers I've seen on this board have been paired with the SOPMOD2. I like the SOPMOD, its just my cheek always ends up on the buffer tube...)

So for those who own or have used the KAC SR-15 E3 before, am I over analyzing the weight issues too much or should I look for an alternative?

pipboy
02-19-2011, 12:29 AM
The big question here is: in the overall scheme of things, how important of a factor is the weight of your dream build to you. The SR-15 is nice and light and the UBR is a heavy beast. I have both but I keep them strictly separated. UBR with my MRP and SOPMOD with the SR-15.

If weight is a primary factor for you, I would not recommend the UBR for it. The added weight of the stock would negate the weight savings of the upper (although balance wise it might be interesting). Ultimately though the beauty of the platform is the ability to have it however you want, so if you like the functionality of that particular stock enough to overlook the added weight, then go for it.

pacrimguru
02-19-2011, 1:10 AM
you're welcome to come to my shop to take a look at them. i have a few coming in next week as well as a few of my own i can show you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=342920

like pipboy says, the SR-15 upper is very light and the UBR is very heavy. if you want a longer stock than the SOPMOD, maybe try the ACS or VLTOR EMOD. those are a bit longer but not as heavy as the UBR.

davester00
02-19-2011, 6:46 AM
I'd have to say going from a Noveske N4 Low pro upper to a KAC E3 SR-15 is a world of difference. The KAC is light and durable. It's gas system doesn't like cheap (weak) ammo like tula. Feed it PMC or better and you'll be fine. In comparison the KAC E3 SR-15 shoots smoother and is lighter than my other upper. Had I purchased the E3 first I probably would have saved more money and would have never bought the Noveske. Pictured below rifle is about 7.5 lbs add another 1lb for ammo. On the other side of the rifle is an SF E2D executive w/danger close mount.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/davester00/KAC.jpg

nomad05
02-19-2011, 5:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely set on the KAC upper. Aside from shotguns, I'm used to shooting ARs that are slightly heavier in the stock so balance wise it may not be a factor.

I also need to re-try the SOPMOD since its been a few years to reconfirm my old prejudices.

you're welcome to come to my shop to take a look at them. i have a few coming in next week as well as a few of my own i can show you.

like pipboy says, the SR-15 upper is very light and the UBR is very heavy. if you want a longer stock than the SOPMOD, maybe try the ACS or VLTOR EMOD. those are a bit longer but not as heavy as the UBR.

Actually, I ordered a few things from you online last week (bullet button, extended rear take-down pin and some other misc items). I had no idea you were so close to my location. So yea, I'll take you up on your offer.

And when I have the funds assembled, you'll be the Cal vendor I order from (assuming you can keep them in stock). :D

F8ality
02-19-2011, 6:56 PM
UBR=Heavy Pig!!
Now I like the UBR and own a couple but not with my sr15 uppers. I think they were great stocks for an spr type application or maybe even to balance out a 16-18" 308 AR but I probably won't put one back on any of my rifles. If your looking for something a little more than an CTR or Sopmod check out the ACS...love em!!

Just my .02 cents

nomad05
02-22-2011, 8:14 PM
UBR=Heavy Pig!!
Now I like the UBR and own a couple but not with my sr15 uppers. I think they were great stocks for an spr type application or maybe even to balance out a 16-18" 308 AR but I probably won't put one back on any of my rifles. If your looking for something a little more than an CTR or Sopmod check out the ACS...love em!!

Just my .02 cents

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out the ACS.

nomad05
02-22-2011, 8:18 PM
Pictured below rifle is about 7.5 lbs add another 1lb for ammo.

As someone who owns one, do you think this guy (http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=74797.0) is under-reporting his rifle's weight?

A KAC + UBR at 7.5lbs seems more than manageable (and too good to be true), but if that what you have with the CTR, something's definitely up.

i1800collect
02-22-2011, 8:35 PM
As someone who owns one, do you think this guy (http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=74797.0) is under-reporting his rifle's weight?

A KAC + UBR at 7.5lbs seems more than manageable (and too good to be true), but if that what you have with the CTR, something's definitely up.

davester000 said he also has an Surefire E2D mounted to the rails. That would contribute a bit to the weight.

Here's a post by Jerry (pacrimguru) where he weighed his SR-15 upper build (albeit with a special run lightweight SR-15 upper) with a Vltor MODstock and it came out at 6lb 10oz.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5177707&postcount=54

556fmj
02-22-2011, 9:21 PM
I've added just a few basic things to the gun but overall, I am very happy with the balance, weight and functionality of the rifle.
Added newer pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/556mm/Firearms/leftsidelatestrev.jpg

Jeffu
02-22-2011, 9:29 PM
Visit Valkyrie Tactical in Duarte and ask for Jerry

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/denimtalk/JeffuRig.jpg

F8ality
02-23-2011, 3:53 PM
Visit Valkyrie Tactical in Duarte and ask for Jerry

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/denimtalk/JeffuRig.jpg

I second this! Jerry is the man for KAC in Cali!!

nomad05
03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Some more random questions for KAC owners:

1. What type of buffer do you guys use? Standard or Heavy?
2. Everyone seems to run with the Aimpoint T1. Would I still be able to co-witness through the SR-15's iron sights with my Eotech XPS3?
3. Whats the consensus on ammo? Any other types/brands to avoid besides Tula?

Thanks for the information!

pacrimguru
03-21-2011, 1:36 PM
1. standard. the use of heavier buffers may cause problems cycling.
2. as with all other AR's, yes it will absolute co-witness. for 1/3 co-witness, you will need a riser such as larue's lt-110.
3. i shoot everything from mine including tula.

pipboy
03-21-2011, 4:44 PM
I actually run an H buffer in mine and have not experienced any ill effects. One ammo I can recommend against using (if shooting for accuracy or groups) is Fiocchi 62gr .223. Soft shooting and cycles fine, ok for plinking, but does not group at all out of my SR-15. See the ammo test link in my signature for details.

ArkinDomino
03-21-2011, 6:14 PM
My SR15 paired with my UDE CTR is absolutely perfect for me. I have a T1 with a Surefire X300 and an AFG2 and the gun weighs in under 7.5 lbs. By fay my favorite AR. My heavier Noveske is fun too but in hind sight I would not have bought one.

pacrimguru
03-21-2011, 6:16 PM
same here, i did run an H buffer without any problems, but the official word from kac is to run a standard buffer. but i guess if it doesn't cause you any problems, then run whatever you want. i'm going to try the vltor a5 system and see how it affects the sr-15.

problemchild
03-21-2011, 8:46 PM
Why buy guns from an Anti-California gun co.?

ArkinDomino
03-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Get over it dude. The SR15 is just too damn sweet to be all pissy at KAC.

problemchild
03-22-2011, 8:03 AM
Get over it dude. The SR15 is just too damn sweet to be all pissy at KAC.

OK right after I vote for Obama and Pelosi, dude. Two more anti-gunners. Anti-gunner anti-california-gunner=same thing to me. FAIL on "Sweetness"
I dont support ANY anti-gunner and it doesnt matter how it comes or what flavor. I tried to buy an extractor for my LMT 308 from KAC, before I knew they were anti-ca-gun and they refused to ship an extractor to me in CA. F them!

ArkinDomino
03-22-2011, 8:59 AM
Sorry for your bad experience. I ordered my upper from an out of state shop that ordered it straight from KAC. The shop told me KAC was backlogged for a 1 month but since I had some rapport built with one of the guys from KAC on another forum, I was able to talk directly to KAC to get them to send me my upper. Did I get unfair treatment? Probably, but by a certain age you should learn that in this world it matters who you know. In addition, it should also be said that KAC is a company that only really caters to the LEO/Military market. The consumer market seems to only be icing on the cake for them.

ArkinDomino
03-22-2011, 9:00 AM
I voted for Obama by the way... :)

NinjafiedGun
03-28-2011, 6:25 AM
No way the KAC with UBR weighs 7.5 lbs. I weighed mine on a postage scale
(very similar to Davesters AR but with a Billet lower and Sopmod stock) and its sitting at right above 7 - 3/4 lbs.

Currently running a spikes buffer w/500 rounds through her and no problems yet. Davesters right. Own KAC and there is no going back. =)

I tried to order an ambi safe switch but they wont ship anything to CA, had to go through one of their distributors as well.

Droppin Deuces
03-28-2011, 7:14 AM
Why would you buy anything from a company that won't bend over backwards for ANY owner of their product? I'm not being a hater, I'm just curious. There are better companies out there who will actually appreciate your business/interest in their product. LaRue is just one that comes to mind...

thmpr
03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I've added just a few basic things to the gun but overall, I am very happy with the balance, weight and functionality of the rifle.
Added newer pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/556mm/Firearms/leftsidelatestrev.jpg

Am I seeing things? Is that a SR15 lower? Is that a RAW? Based on the QD on the lower, I would assume no. If it is possible to DROS a SR15 Lower, please do advise...=0)