PDA

View Full Version : Going Hunting. Need 7.62x39 Softnose

cornholio1
09-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Its hard enought to find FMJ in this caliber, but does anyone know where I can find legal ammo to hunt deer with (softnose)? Thanks!

TrailerparkTrash
09-21-2006, 12:57 AM
I don't know where you live in CA, but in Southern CA, virtually all turner's stores sell Winchester brand 7.62x39. I also believe that they sell a soft point in 20 round boxes, specifically for hunting.

Also, you could use the Russian/Chinese surplus ammo that has a hollow point cavity with the steel case. Just a bit of info here, that so called "hollow point" on the Russian/Chinese suplus ammo isn't really a true hollow point as a true HP was designed for. That little HP on the surplus ammo was placed there as part of a manufacturing process for the bullet. That said though, it is considered LEGAL to hunt mammals with in CA. It will pretty much work like a FMJ bullet though as it doesn't expand hardly at all.

Lastly, Turners also sell Russian made soft point 7.62x39. I bought some under the Wolf brand and some other off the wall brand. I figure I could use it in my 5 round magazine for my Mini-30. I used it last year on a wild boar in King City. It worked beautifully!

1SGMAT
09-21-2006, 8:08 PM
Depending on what rifle you have you will get better performance if you use .308 bullets with a .308 bore like from a mini 30 or rugers 77. The import stuff is all .311 and will not give you the best accuracy.

JPglee1
09-22-2006, 7:11 AM
Try Big-5 and wal mart.

J

moulton
09-24-2006, 9:39 AM
Try Big-5 and wal mart.

J

the big 5's im my area only carry remington umc FMJ..... me and you might have to start reloading or use some HP :(

metalhead357
09-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I hunt deer with x39; Both PMC and Remmington both make soft tipped rounds.

I'm surprised you're not seeing at least one at Big 5, Walmart (the ones that still carry ammo) at least the ones I've been to typically just have the remmington.

cornholio1
09-24-2006, 1:45 PM
I hunt deer with x39; Both PMC and Remmington both make soft tipped rounds.

I'm surprised you're not seeing at least one at Big 5, Walmart (the ones that still carry ammo) at least the ones I've been to typically just have the remmington.

No body has it. I went to 3 walmarts and 2 big 5's. All fMJ

metalhead357
09-24-2006, 4:15 PM
looks like you gotta finda decently equiped gun shop; that, or mail order....

VeryCoolCat
09-24-2006, 4:31 PM
You can order it. i don't think you'd use it for plinking so there ya go.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM643-48222-257.html

JPglee1
09-24-2006, 5:39 PM
Would it be legal to sand off the last 2-3mm of the FMJ bullet to make a "soft nose" round?

Ive done it with 9x19 before and .308, just messin around, but it works.

J

metalhead357
09-24-2006, 6:12 PM
Would it be legal to sand off the last 2-3mm of the FMJ bullet to make a "soft nose" round?

IIRC buried somewhere in the texts is the requirement that the bullet "be designed" to expand. So doing that *might* be considered a re-design, but who knows about THAT legality.

Aside from the fun aspect...whats the point? Alotta work for not a lot of payoff and inconsistant accuracy; not exactly what ya' want for hunting. MAYBE in a 22, but I'd be leary for a variety of reasons for big game...

JPglee1
09-24-2006, 6:14 PM
Aside from the fun aspect...whats the point? .

Dunno...Ima gun tweeker, what can I tell yah...

ALso, it can be done fast. I could knock the tips off 20 rds in about 2 mins, tops...

Makita grinder w/a sanding disk and go to town :D

J

triaged
11-14-2006, 4:29 PM
Ive done it with 9x19 before and .308, just messin around, but it works.
JI think the FMJ Wolf stuff is hollow at the tip. I don't know if the brass cased rem, etc. stuff is the same. Hack one in half and find out.

grammaton76
11-14-2006, 4:44 PM
Call up Dustin over at Ammobros. He has these 7.62x39mm Nosler tipped rounds that he's really happy with for hunting...

VeryCoolCat
11-14-2006, 6:43 PM
Call up Dustin over at Ammobros. He has these 7.62x39mm Nosler tipped rounds that he's really happy with for hunting...

Ammo Bros has every type of ammo imaginable... they even had 8x56 mannlichter ammo... but they only got expensive factory.

Stuka
11-14-2006, 6:50 PM
Even if the hollow tip FMJ stuff is technically legal, I would still go for Wolf soft point, as you have a much better chance of taking the animal down with one shot. Winchester stuff works too, but their quality has gone down these past few years. I would try to be within 100m when hunting with 7.62x39. You could move up to a 7.62x54R Mosin and be much more confident with its knock down power, and the rifles are cheap (got my nice condition M91/30 for 79 bucks)

metalhead357
11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Even if the hollow tip FMJ stuff is technically legal,

Just curious as to why the "technically":confused: It IS legal per cali law for hunting, it is not FMJ, it is "Designed" to expand.....now whether it actually does/doesn't might be up for debate but Hollow points are legal for game in Cali.

Stuka
11-15-2006, 7:59 AM
Just curious as to why the "technically":confused: It IS legal per cali law for hunting, it is not FMJ, it is "Designed" to expand.....now whether it actually does/doesn't might be up for debate but Hollow points are legal for game in Cali.

I only say that because according to above post it only has a hollow tip because of the manufacturing process used. It wasn't purpose designed as a hollow point with the purpose of better expansion on impact. I have not seen one of these rounds personally, but if the nose has the metal jacket, the expansion is most likely not going to be great.

ivanimal
11-15-2006, 8:29 AM

The way it was described to me was FMJ was designed to create a casualty not necessarily a fatality. The soft or hollow point just the opposite.

metalhead357
11-15-2006, 8:14 PM
It wasn't purpose designed as a hollow point with the purpose of better expansion on impact. I have not seen one of these rounds personally, but if the nose has the metal jacket, the expansion is most likely not going to be great.

I get what you're saying (and you too Ivan) but then it begs the question what the heck did they design them to do? I wish I had kept mine from my last hunt. Expanded more than FMJ, less than a leaded- tip, or even leaded hollow point, but it managed to buck back....and keep most of its weight.

Ivan, Yep, exactly as I was told/taught.....but therein lies the same question; the stuff IS designed for something, and it aint FMJ for "less lethality" so the inverse....would be nice;)