PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 & wild pig

aub_veb
09-20-2006, 10:17 PM
i just finish building my CA legal AR15 and spent last Saturday at the range properly breaking in the new barrel... I'm planning on doing some wild pig hunt this up coming month and wondering if theirs any restriction on using .223.:confused:

Matt C
09-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Not the round I would use......

Mudvayne540ld
09-20-2006, 10:23 PM
You will proably need to hit it in the head first try.... dunno if there are restrictions tho.
Im looking at the .50 Beo for pig hunting :cool:

wilit
09-20-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm with the other guys. A .223 is pretty weaksauce when it comes to shooting boar. You might actually just piss it off rather than kill it.

anotherone
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't hunt pigs with anything less than .308 or .30-30. When I've done it in the past I've used .30-06 but this year I'm considering trying it with foster type slugs.

Wild pigs are large animals, much larger and stronger than their domestic cousins. You need something to knock them down or they're gonna get pumped full of adrenaline the minute the bullet hits them and you'll spend the rest of the day looking for your hog.

Vigilante
09-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't think that there are any restrictions against using .223, but I wouldn't recomend using that cartridge either. If you do decide to used your AR-15 just buy some high quality ammo and place your shot well.

adamsreeftank
09-21-2006, 3:15 AM
I wouldn't hunt pigs with anything less than .308 or .30-30. When I've done it in the past I've used .30-06 but this year I'm considering trying it with foster type slugs.

Wild pigs are large animals, much larger and stronger than their domestic cousins. You need something to knock them down or they're gonna get pumped full of adrenaline the minute the bullet hits them and you'll spend the rest of the day looking for your hog.

The rest of your day may not be very long. It's not inconceivable for a wild pig to kill you after you wound it with an inadequate round.

krim
09-21-2006, 4:10 AM
did it on private land, ill pretty much echo what everyone said, you'll need to try and take it down in 1 shot.

metalhead357
09-21-2006, 5:57 AM
Shoulda ya' use a .223? Your're already seeing peeps tell ya' its to small & I fully agree.

"Can you use a .223"? Yes, but again IMO toooo small, but from the DFG Big Game PDF from thier website

353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big
Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections

353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as

defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only

be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with

softnose or expanding bullets; bow and arrow

(see section 354, title 14, CCR, for archery

equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock,

flintlock or percussion type, including “in-line”

muzzleloading rifles using black powder or

equivalent black powder substitute, including

pellets, with single ball or bullet loaded from the

muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation.
(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than

three shells firing single slugs may be used for

the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas

where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with

slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns

capable of holding not more than three shells
firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the

taking of deer only.

(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire car

tridges

with softnose or expanding bullets may
be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.
(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel
lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges

with softnose or expanding bullets may be used

to take elk and bighorn sheep.
(e) Except as provided in subsection 354(j),
crossbows may be used to take deer and wild
pigs only during the regular seasons.
(f) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading
rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading

rifles as described in subsection 353(a)
equipped with open or “peep” type sights only.

(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading
rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess

muzzleloading rifles with sights as described
in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as

described in Section 354; or both. For purposes
of this subsection, archery equipment does
not include crossbows, except as provided in
subsection 354(j).

edwardm
09-21-2006, 6:34 AM
i just finish building my CA legal AR15 and spent last Saturday at the range properly breaking in the new barrel... I'm planning on doing some wild pig hunt this up coming month and wondering if theirs any restriction on using .223.:confused:

Here's a little more fuel for the fire:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/pig/index.htm

Look at the "Guide to Hunting Wild Pigs in California" (big .pdf file). On or about page 12, they list recommended and non-recommended handgun, rifle, shotgun and muzzleloading calibers and bullet sizes. While they don't list .223 specifically (at least I can't see it there in that list), you can look at the list and use your best judgment.

The list also breaks down acceptable calibers by weight of the animal, with the cutoff at +/- 90 lbs. I hunt pig with a .270 Winchester (an old Ithaca that my great uncle left me that's a veritable tack driver) or my 30-06. I wouldn't use anything less than a 150gr. bullet, personally. When wild boars get mad, they get really mad. They also have a sheath (it's like a really tough cartilage/boney plate) around their front chest. I've seen pictures of guys pulling .223 and 7.62x39 rounds out of the sheath that had been there quite a long time from the last hunter that took a shot at the pig.

Think of it this way - you're trying to kill an animal that may be upwards of 200+ lbs, has an extremely low center of gravity, and is incredibly powerful, if not always too bright. I suggest a proper "pig-be-dead' round. ;)

-ed

TannerBoyl
09-21-2006, 7:24 AM
Here's a little more fuel for the fire:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/pig/index.htm

Look at the "Guide to Hunting Wild Pigs in California" (big .pdf file). On or page 12, they list recommended and non-recommended handgun, rifle, shotgun and muzzleloading calibers and bullet sizes. While they don't list .223 specifically (at least I can't see it there in that list), you can look at the list and use your best judgment.

Also on page 12, it says something about an acceptable cartridge being one that has 800 ft. lbs @ 100 yards for a 50-90lb pig and 1200ft. lbs @ 100yrds for a pig over 90lbs.

Even though the .223 round isn't specifically forbidden, I don't consider hunting a larger pig with .223 as ethical. There is too much chance of prolonging the animals death. Sure, shot placement is important, but with the adrenaline running through your veins you may not make an ideal shot.

When I got my first pig, I used a 30-30 lever action. I shot a 175lbs boar from about 70ish yards away. I got it's shoulder and it came charging then cut in front of me about 25 yards or so. I dumped another round solidly into it's chest. It dropped and rolled down the hill. That 30-30 should have dropped the pig at 70 yards, but the adrenaline and excitement caused my shot placement to be off.

If I were you, I wouldn't hunt with the AR unless you had a 6.5Grendel, 6.8SPC, .458SOCOM or .50Beowulf upper. That's just me. Good luck with your decision.

JPglee1
09-21-2006, 7:25 AM
Think of it this way - you're trying to kill an animal that may be upwards of 200+ lbs, has an extremely low center of gravity, and is incredibly powerful, if not always too bright. I suggest a proper "pig-be-dead' round. ;)

-ed
Interesting that a .223 is considered wholy inadequate for hunting pig, but its 100% awesome as a man stopper in IRAQ lol

Just kinda funny how that works out... Same with deer. People say dont shoot deer with .223, but they say its great on people, which are more or less the same size/bulk as a deer....

Crazy how that stuff works sometimes.

J

theseacow
09-21-2006, 7:33 AM

metalhead357
09-21-2006, 7:42 AM
people are light skinned varmints compared to pigs. pigs have built in armor, and adrenaline like nothing else. You hit them just slightly wrong, and they will not even slow down from a full sprint over several mountains.

As a killer of many pigs, I can say that .223 would be absolutely retarded to use on pigs. Injuring animals and having them run away is not hunting.

+1's all over that. Not to mention the piggies tend to have REAL thick skulls as well as shoulder and breast bones. Friend tagged one in the head straight on with a 30-30 (another friend did the same from the side with a 30-06) and NEITHER hit managed to even crack the skull:eek: as reported by them, bullet(s) were pretty much flattened beneath the skin........

Scotty
09-21-2006, 8:01 AM
Having seen a pig (sow) get taken, wasn't me, with a 22-250 with 40 gr. ballistic tip, I wouldn't recommend it. First two shots only pissed it off and it took off running luckily away from us. Last shot into the head finally killed it after chasing it down. Field cleaning it was pretty disgusting, thank goodness I didn't have to do it since it wasn't my pig. Eventually it would have died from internal injuries. It was a real mess on the inside.:eek:

If it was a wild boar, you will probably piss it off really bad and probably regret it.

m1371
09-21-2006, 9:25 AM

There's no way I'd use a .223 for wild hog.

It's been well over thirty years since I've had the opportunity to hunt hogs, but I distinctly remember everyone using some big-bore calibers. I was just a wee little squirt, but it's something that was a good experience growing up.

If my memory isn't failing me, most wild hogs/boars have a thick layer of gristle over the front shoulders. The vital area you're aiming at is located in..... the front shoulders. See where I'm going with this?

You need something that's going to punch through this layer of gristle and still have the capacity to cause terminal injury. The .223/5.56mm isn't going to cut it.

I remember a lot of lever-action .30-30's and semi-auto .30-'06 rifles being used.

First time I'd ever shot a .444Marlin and at that age it scared the piss out of me. :o

ohsmily
09-21-2006, 10:40 AM
When I go for boar next year, I will be taking either a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. If I decide to use a handgun, I will use one of my 454 Casulls or my BFR 460 S&W. You don't NEED to use these large calibers, but it will help ensure a clean kill, minimal suffering (for the pig), and avoidance of a long track of a wounded animal.

artherd
09-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I use a self-loading .50BMG, anything smaller is just cruel.

In all seriousness, now is a great time to invest in a 6.5, 6.8 etc. upper!

.223 may work, use 77gr OTM (or Nosler Partition) type rounds, and I wouldn't want to try it on a very large pig.

five.five-six
09-21-2006, 1:24 PM
you will be just fine hunting boar with an ar... just so long as it is an ar-10 :)

Comstock Lode
09-21-2006, 3:06 PM
.270+ prefer 30 06 or 308. .223 clearly not effective, in my opinion not ethical either. Take some targets along and blaze away with the AR, then pull out the hunting gun and take that piggy down.

VeryCoolCat
09-21-2006, 3:12 PM
actually there is something that doesn't allow .223 for wild pigs. Let me see if i can find it.

there was this thing where if the pig is over 60lbs you weren't able to use 223. Gimme a sec let me find it.

Comstock Lode
09-21-2006, 3:13 PM
just remembered a guy from the range telling me he worked at a slaughter house in SLO and somehow ended up cutting up a hog someone had just shot. The grissle around his shoulders was FULL of .223 and other small bore lead... he figured the pig hardly even noticed, they never even made it through the grissle, nice expansion though, the bullets did just what they were supposed to do... except penetrate.

JPglee1
09-21-2006, 3:15 PM
there was this thing where if the pig is over 60lbs you weren't able to use 223. Gimme a sec let me find it.

Do you gotta ask the pig to get on a scale first :D :cool:

*hey, boar...get over here I need to weigh you so I can decide what to kill you with*

J

JPglee1
09-21-2006, 3:16 PM
nice expansion though, the bullets did just what they were supposed to do... except penetrate.

Think an SS109 would have that problem...assuming it was legal (and I know its not)

J

VeryCoolCat
09-21-2006, 3:18 PM
§350. Big Game Defined.

"Big game" means the following: deer (genus Odocoileus), elk (genus Cervus), pronghorn antelope (genus Antilocarpa), wild pig (feral pigs, European wild pigs and their hybrids (genus Sus), black bear (genus Ursus) and Nelson bighorn sheep (subspecies Ovis canadensis nelsoni) in the areas described in subsection 4902(b) of the Fish and Game Code.

§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets; bow and arrow (see section 354, title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with single ball or bullet loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation.

In california wild pig is considered big game.

icormba
09-21-2006, 3:35 PM
§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (g), title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by section 350, title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets; bow and arrow (see section 354, title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with single ball or bullet loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation.

That can't be right? .40? or is that pistol or is that geared towards the black powder? if not, that would mean .308 is out!

guimus
09-21-2006, 3:40 PM
look at the semicolons, that's just referring to this clause:

"or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets..."

ohsmily
09-21-2006, 3:48 PM

The 40 cal requirement is for black powder weapons.

mltrading
09-21-2006, 3:53 PM
IMHO, .223 is too weak to take a boar down at first shot.

>> See a boar in scope.....
>> Fire from your AR-15: BANG
>>
>> The boar is not down and runs toward to you....in anger.....
>>
>> BANG BANG BANG
......:)

anotherone
09-21-2006, 3:54 PM
The rest of your day may not be very long. It's not inconceivable for a wild pig to kill you after you wound it with an inadequate round.

I'm tellin ya, that's why I'm opting for slugs this year... I wanna be sure when I hit the pig it goes down in one shot.

ivanimal
09-21-2006, 4:13 PM
I use a 45-70 with 500 grain projectiles loaded as hot as is safe backed up with 44 Magnum. I never hunt alone for pigs and the people I hunt with use Magnums as well.

223 Is not what I would use.:eek:

Got Stuff?
09-21-2006, 4:45 PM
I remember seeing this fan-dangled ammo in which a large boar was taken with a 9mm handgun. Cant remember the company or website name but they produced quite a few different calibers. Anyone else seen this?

Could be all just advertising hype I suppose.
...Robert...

Got Stuff?
09-21-2006, 5:26 PM
Found it. Kinda interesting but looks quite expensive :(

A 505 lb Boar that was taken with a single 9mm round.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

...Robert...

five.five-six
09-21-2006, 6:24 PM

...Robert...

holy ***** what a bunch of tacticool mall ninjas

lol

eman_308
09-21-2006, 7:35 PM
i hunt wild boar here in CA. and i use my .308 rifle or my .454 casull revolver nothing less. i recently got a .50 cal beowulf upper for my AR-15. this would be more than adequate. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sak1azVRBk

and this link is a couple of OLLs in action along with a bolt action rifle in .300 Remington Ultra Magnum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksAarNUpEOg

good luck dude!

Joe
09-21-2006, 7:43 PM

...Robert...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

Matt C
09-21-2006, 9:02 PM
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59944&d=1156375515

I think shooting THAT with a .223 would get you killed.:D

Oh, and those "extreme shock rounds are 100% BS.

eman_308
09-21-2006, 9:08 PM
yeah, i agree that extreme shok rounds are total BS!

ohsmily
09-21-2006, 9:19 PM
i hunt wild boar here in CA. and i use my .308 rifle or my .454 casull revolver nothing less. i recently got a .50 cal beowulf upper for my AR-15. this would be more than adequate. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sak1azVRBk

and this link is a couple of OLLs in action along with a bolt action rifle in .300 Remington Ultra Magnum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksAarNUpEOg

good luck dude!

Please tell me those aren't your videos....

blkA4alb
09-21-2006, 9:28 PM
Oh they are...they are...

theseacow
09-21-2006, 10:51 PM

...Robert...

HAHA!
That is total BS. That is NOT a 505 lb boar. I have killed several boars in the 275 lb. range that are WAY bigger than that (not to mention the 300-350 rare boars). That website is known for their BS, and that pig picture is only 1 example.

edwardm
09-22-2006, 6:35 AM
Interesting that a .223 is considered wholy inadequate for hunting pig, but its 100% awesome as a man stopper in IRAQ lol

Just kinda funny how that works out... Same with deer. People say dont shoot deer with .223, but they say its great on people, which are more or less the same size/bulk as a deer....

J

I don't know. It kind of makes perfect sense to me. In Iraq, they don't care so much if the guy is dead, so long as he's no longer a player. In the mountains, I want the animal dead as soon as possible, for my sake and it's sake.

I think the objectives are slightly different, which is why not using a 223 on large game makes perfect sense to me. YMMV and all that. :)

five.five-six
09-22-2006, 10:01 AM

why did he mis spell somthing in the video?

gays are free to be gay libs are free to be libs and tacticool mall ninjsa are free to be morons

the only thing tat realy bothered me was the J.D. at the end but it appeared with no guns. asside from tha a little disregard for muzzel awarness but just a bunch of guy having fun. not much to do with hunting pigs but like I said:

you are perfactly ok to hunt boar with an AR.... just so long as it is an AR-10

eman_308
09-22-2006, 2:42 PM
why did he mis spell somthing in the video?

gays are free to be gay libs are free to be libs and tacticool mall ninjsa are free to be morons

the only thing tat realy bothered me was the J.D. at the end but it appeared with no guns. asside from tha a little disregard for muzzel awarness but just a bunch of guy having fun. not much to do with hunting pigs but like I said:

you are perfactly ok to hunt boar with an AR.... just so long as it is an AR-10
yeah...the JD was actually the next day when all our stuff is packed away!
Speaking of AR-10..did you see mine? it was the first one shot in the clip.

eman_308
09-22-2006, 2:50 PM
you no likey likey?

koiloco
09-23-2006, 12:03 AM
I use a self-loading .50BMG, anything smaller is just cruel.

In all seriousness, now is a great time to invest in a 6.5, 6.8 etc. upper!

.223 may work, use 77gr OTM (or Nosler Partition) type rounds, and I wouldn't want to try it on a very large pig.

Ben,
Is there anything left when you hit the big with a 50BMG round? :)

tenpercentfirearms
09-23-2006, 5:47 AM
The rest of your day may not be very long. It's not inconceivable for a wild pig to kill you after you wound it with an inadequate round.Ok, I have been hunting pigs around Kern County for quite a few years. However, I have run into more pigs hunting deer and coyotes than I have ever shot. I have even got within 15 feet of them before they figured out I was there. In every single case, when a pig discovered I was in the area, it always ran away! Always! Even after shooting pigs, the rest of the group always runs away. From my experience here in my area of CA, I have never found pigs to be the killer vicious animinals that people make them out to be.

Back to the topic, my dad has taken a pig with his .22-250 and that was all about shot placement. I have taken one with 125 grain TNT HP out of my .308, one shot and that was it, instant death. I have shot them with a 7mm mag, watched them run 75 yards, then fall over dead. The worst was one I shot in the upper back with my .30-06, run down the mountain, limp up the other side of the mountain, get shot in the head with a 7mm mag, eventually limp back down the mountain, get shot in the head with a .30-06, squirm around on the ground for a few minutes, then finally take the final blow with one more .30-06 to the head.

If all you have is .223, borrow a gun. This would be a perfect excuse to get a 6.8mm upper. The point of hunting shouldn't be to waste meat, it should be a quick and clean kill.

adamsreeftank
09-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Here is some more info with photos:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

mikehaas
09-24-2006, 11:45 AM
...Im looking at the .50 Beo for pig hunting :cool:
Roger that. Were I a .50 Beo round, this thread would cause me to question the whole reason for my existence.
http://ammoguide.com/gfx/web/cmprs/223v50beo.gif (http://ammoguide.com/)

Compare ballistics for .223 Rem v. .50 Beowulf (http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it=132%7c335)

The .223 Remington (5.56mm NATO) (http://ammoguide.com/?catid=132)

The .50 Beowulf (http://ammoguide.com/?catid=335)

Mike

C.G.
09-24-2006, 7:11 PM
Roger that. Were I a .50 Beo round, this thread would cause me to question the whole reason for my existence.
http://ammoguide.com/gfx/web/cmprs/223v50beo.gif (http://ammoguide.com/)

Compare ballistics for .223 Rem v. .50 Beowulf (http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it=132%7c335)

The .223 Remington (5.56mm NATO) (http://ammoguide.com/?catid=132)

The .50 Beowulf (http://ammoguide.com/?catid=335)

Mike

Yup, and that doesn't even include the Powerbelt 420 and 530
Dangerous Game Tip:
http://store.50beowulf.com/

1hkfan
09-24-2006, 7:37 PM
I use a 450 Marlin lever gun.

BigMac
09-25-2006, 7:57 AM
If I was yote hunting and a boar offered itself up to me I'd gladly shoot it in the ear with my .223.

I laugh at guys with their cannons destroying meat. Why oh why shoot them in the pluming? Right into or under the ear destroys nothing I want to eat.
I think some of these hunters need to practice without a bench for a while and CALM down before taking their shot. SHOT placement is the MOST important facet in cleanly killing a pig.

If you wind a boar up your going to have to watch it run. There is a guy on the club I hunt who calls his rifle one step. It's a .375 H&H magnum. He calls it one step because pigs only take one step before falling over dead.

He cant call it that any more. He didn't make a good shot and the critter headed for the sunset and had to be shot again. .375 hitting the boar twice left very little meat.

These are ugly trophy animals shoot them in the EAR not the forehead. You wont be disapointed.

eman_308
09-26-2006, 8:34 AM
here's the official Alexander Arms data.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf_ballistics.pdf

ivanimal
09-26-2006, 9:21 AM
If I was yote hunting and a boar offered itself up to me I'd gladly shoot it in the ear with my .223.

I laugh at guys with their cannons destroying meat. Why oh why shoot them in the pluming? Right into or under the ear destroys nothing I want to eat.
I think some of these hunters need to practice without a bench for a while and CALM down before taking their shot. SHOT placement is the MOST important facet in cleanly killing a pig.

You werent laughing when you sold me the cannon!!!

metalhead357
10-29-2006, 9:12 PM
i just finish building my CA legal AR15 and .. I'm planning on doing some wild pig hunt this up coming month

So did ya' go yet????? I'm curious as to a verdict of a 223 on pigies:D

kantstudien
10-30-2006, 1:50 AM
By his lack of response, we can assume he was consumed by a horde of wild pigs due to the lack of terminal ballistics of .223 :D

metalhead357
10-30-2006, 5:48 AM
:eek: LOL! God I hope NOT!!!!

BigMac
10-30-2006, 6:47 AM
You werent laughing when you sold me the cannon!!!

Your the only guy I know that actually had been charged.

I'll clarify..on the club I hunt there is this guy thats always drunk as a skunk when I see him. He wont hunt with less than his .375H&H mag. He blows HUGE holes in pigs. He teases me about my little tiny .270, only my boar come back down the hill with all the meat in tact :D

So Ivan, does the .45-70 blow HUGE holes in pigs like an H&H mag?

I wouldn't choose my .223 to take as a primary pig gun. LIke I said though, if I were yote hunting and a piggy gave me an oppertunety I would smoke it with a round in the ear.

mather911
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I have to chuckle at some of these responses. I went to Vandenberg last year for my first pig hunt. I took my 30-06 with 180gr copper solids. On the last evening just before dark a pig steps out. Looked like a calico cat, white with black spots. I had to really look close as I thought it might not be a pig, not what the pictures looked like anyway. So I determined it in fact was a pig and about 100 yrds out. I steadied and squeezed off a shot. The dam thing rolled and got back up running. I quickly chambered another round and it stopped, I squeezed off another round and down it went. It was a boar, about 200lbs. Both shots were perfectly placed in the vitals, no lost meat at all. Just goes to show you how tuff they are. Would I hunt pig with a .223? Absolutley not! I am going again in March, can't hardly wait, I'm hooked.

RMTactical
01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Get a 6.5Grendel.

killshot44
01-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Mather911, We see you are new to Calguns, welcome.

Important safety tip: While you're reading through all the threads, (and that is good, read away, checkout the must-reads) take notice of when they were created and last posted. You're posting on a four and a half year-old thread. It's deader than the pig you shot..... ;)

cmace22
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
looks like 6.8 work good.

http://www.68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6153

mather911
01-06-2010, 5:49 AM
Mather911, We see you are new to Calguns, welcome.

Important safety tip: While you're reading through all the threads, (and that is good, read away, checkout the must-reads) take notice of when they were created and last posted. You're posting on a four and a half year-old thread. It's deader than the pig you shot..... ;)

I saw that but I figured if it was still there and active, well people must still be reading it. Anyway I will refrain from commenting on old posts. Most forums that I go on lock threads when they are old and dead. I just thought the moderators chose to keep that one up and available. I will keep with current events and just read the old ones. Thanks for the welcome.

Grendel Guy
01-06-2010, 6:40 AM
Don't know if this has already been addressed here, but here's my 2˘. I've never hunted pigs but know of couple of guys who have. Seems there is a reqm't. that the projectiles be lead free in certain areas of the state (something to do with the Califonia Condor habitat or something like that). So whatever caliber is chosen, it'll need to be Barnes or equivalent loaded ammo if you plan to hunt in that area. Check with the locals or better yet the DFG.

thefurball
01-06-2010, 7:03 AM
You need something to knock them down or... you'll spend the rest of the day looking for your hog.

Or running away. A pissed off boar is no joke.

I would personally go for .308 or better. If you must use .223 then you need to be up close and personal for a clean head shot.

theseacow
01-06-2010, 8:07 AM
This thread has been resurrected! I saw some posts in here that briefly caught my attention then I realized that I had posted them years ago. lol

Linkpimp
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Comparison time:

Here is a Beowulf bullet (side by side) with a 223 bullet

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/TDC57/IMG_5676.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/TDC57/IMG_5677.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/TDC57/IMG_5678.jpg

Here is what 2 cement cinder blocks look like after being hit with one 400gr Beowulf round.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/TDC57/GrabbedFrame1-3.jpg

I think the choice is obvious.. :D

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/TDC57/IMG_5484-2.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Just remember, every time you necropost, God kills a kitten. You like kittens, don't you? On the other hand, I think they are vermin, so feel free to necropost all you want.

As for pigs, I'll toss my $0.02 in. (Another kitten has been smote, and there was much rejoicing. Yay.) .223 would work on the little guys. The eaters, being 100 pounds and under. Providing you use a good hunting bullet, not a varmint round. And providing you hit the CNS (read: brainpan) or the heart/lungs. Remember that the vitals are much lower on a pig than they are on a deer. For anything bigger than an eater, I would consider .30-30 to be the minimum. The main concern with the .223 is the bullets. Not many are designed for shooting anything larger than a 35 pound coyote. They are normally thin-jacketed, and can't be relied upon to make it all the way to a larger animal's vitals. Personally I use a .300 Savage, and I have had no complaints. If I were going to use the AR15 platform, I would go with 6.8 as a minimum. This is one of those situations where the 6.5 guys would actually be right as well. Getting that extra oomph for a hog isn't a bad thing. I don't really agree with worrying about getting charged for the most part. The vast majority of hogs run at the first sign of trouble. Unless you are out there chasing them through the brush, they are going to high-tail it for the nearest horizon whistling the theme from loonie toons the second they get spooked. Also remember, despite many opinions online, hogs are not bulletproof. They don't have ablative ceramic plates under their skin. I know guys that hunt them with knives. If you hit them, they will go down.

-Mb (unabashed necroposter)

hybridatsun350
01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3641/necropostkitten.jpg

bigfrank
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Not the round I would use......

Me either. Just not enough gun for wild pigs.

510dat
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I saw that but I figured if it was still there and active, well people must still be reading it. Anyway I will refrain from commenting on old posts. Most forums that I go on lock threads when they are old and dead. I just thought the moderators chose to keep that one up and available. I will keep with current events and just read the old ones. Thanks for the welcome.

I wouldn't worry about it; if you had started a new thread, someone would have complained about the duplicate. This way, all the information is in one thread.

As for .223 taking a boar, think of it this way: how many deer hunters carry a .223?

adamsreeftank
01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
This necro-thread is making me hungry.

Who brought the bacon and suasage?

bigfrank
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM

J

Hmm, what do you think is tougher, a man or a 200-300 pound wild hog?

And who is to say that the .223 is really "enough gun" to shoot at people in Iraq?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-06-2010, 1:02 PM
I am of course! Just give me a knife and call it dinner!

bigfrank
01-06-2010, 1:09 PM

...Robert...

I gotta laugh. That hog is no where near 505lbs in that photo. Never the less, that ammo looks interesting if nothing else.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-06-2010, 1:10 PM
I was thinking 350 or so.

RAMCHARGER
01-06-2010, 2:48 PM
YEA that gay condor lead ammo ban suks. I hunted piggies with my .303 SMLE.
Guess I better invest in a SAIGA .308 as a new hog blaster...
.223 sucks on hogs. Someone was shootin at them when I was in Texas with a Mini14. It blew the dirt off em but they just ran off really pissed off.

"MEOW.... AGGHHH!" Plop! Another kitten bites the dust.... :O)

professionalcoyotehunter
01-06-2010, 2:50 PM
WhatS with the kitten reference?

Jpach
01-06-2010, 2:53 PM
get a 6.8 SPC upper. Thatl do the trick. BOOM

gun toting monkeyboy
01-06-2010, 3:34 PM
WhatS with the kitten reference?

Go back to page 7 and read the posts. It is kind of a running internet joke. Like "I'm in your base killing your dudes", or all the cutesie cat pictures where the cat has managed to learn to speak, but can't quite master grammer.

Cal-Irish
01-06-2010, 3:36 PM
see here. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=256596

adamsreeftank
01-06-2010, 3:49 PM
Just found this. I hope the link works:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/11/04/gal_oddities_wildpig.jpg

Jamison Stone, 11, poses with a wild pig he killed near Delta, Ala., May 3, 2007. Stone's father says the hog weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. If claims of the animal's size are true, it would be larger than 'Hogzilla,' the huge hog killed in Georgia in 2004.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pets/galleries/animal_kingdom_oddities/animal_kingdom_oddities.html#ixzz0bsnxJiBY

professionalcoyotehunter
01-06-2010, 3:51 PM
It was fake! That is hogzilla. It was a real hog but not wild it was farm raised.

five.five-six
01-06-2010, 4:10 PM
. You're posting on a four and a half year-old thread.

I re read the first few pages, all along thinking... did I really write all of that crap??.... guess I did

mather911
01-06-2010, 6:19 PM
Now see what I did, I up and resurected this old dead thread. What is my punishment, three days restricted to the range? Two days in Cabelas?

mather911
01-06-2010, 6:23 PM
This necro-thread is making me hungry.

Who brought the bacon and suasage?

Now here is a guy that is thinking. This is why I love my black powder Hawken, kill, butcher and cook all in one shot!

tecstar1
01-06-2010, 7:39 PM
+1 on a little more ummmmph

bombadillo
01-06-2010, 7:45 PM
Shoot, just buy a 7.62x39 upper and use federal soft point ammo. That stuff will do the job, its cheap and the upper won't cost you much.

KevinXT
01-06-2010, 8:06 PM
AR-10 FTW!

tmncali
01-07-2010, 1:04 PM
Now that it's back to life, what about a 91/30?