PDA

View Full Version : OAL Question

SarahKC1987
02-18-2011, 8:19 PM
So Im starting my build with a Bushmaster lower and going with a 16'' upper. My question is with 16'' barrel length with the gun assembled how close to the legal requirement of 30'' is it? Is it a a close call or room to spare?

Ripper
02-18-2011, 8:24 PM
What kind of Stock on your Lower? I have a Magpul Sliding stock on my M4 and have a 16in barrel and I am way over 30in. with my stock closed. You should be fine.

Quiet
02-18-2011, 9:17 PM
So Im starting my build with a Bushmaster lower and going with a 16'' upper. My question is with 16'' barrel length with the gun assembled how close to the legal requirement of 30'' is it? Is it a a close call or room to spare?

What kind of Bushmaster lower? How is it marked?

Almost all Bushmaster AR lowers are banned.

Cokebottle
02-18-2011, 9:29 PM
What kind of Bushmaster lower? How is it marked?

Almost all Bushmaster AR lowers are banned.
+10,000

But on OAL, I have never seen a telescoping buttstock that results in less than 30" OAL with a 16" barrel.

Remember, 16" barrels are typically 16.5, and the flash hider adds another 1.5-2", so your actual measurement is generally closer to 18" to the bolt face.
The upper is another 7", so you're at 25" without the buffer tube.
Buffer tube is another 6-3/4, so you're pushing 32" even without the buttstock on the buffer tube.

My AR is 30-1/2" with the buttstock removed. Installed and completely collapsed, it only adds about 1/8", and it's a 14.5" barrel with a Smith Vortex FH pinned on.

SarahKC1987
02-18-2011, 10:07 PM
To be honest im not 100% sure which lower im going with. Bushmaster was just a brand I like.... I was using AR15Pro.com to browse stuff & they have the disclaimer on most of the stuff that says its not allowed in CA so I had one in mind that didn't have that. But have to double check the legality.

http://www.ar15pro.com/item/44262_Bushmaster_Rifles_Shotguns_BUSHMASTER_LOWER_ STRIPPED.aspx?SCAT=15569&PSCAT=12499

This is the one.... stating its banned in Conn, Maryland and Mass.

This is my first build and I haven't ordered anything yet. I just wanted to get a feel for the overall length, to me with the 16 inch it seemed like it might come up short. But it sounds like its ok...

Of course my local store stocks Del-ton lowers, but Ive never heard of them.

762.DEFENSE
02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
You need to use an OLL; and as listed above almost all Bushmaster Lowers are banned by name under the CA AW Ban.

SarahKC1987
02-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks this I know, I guess what I dont know is how to identify whats what.

Im currently googling to find a list or something.

I was assuming Bushmaster was an acceptable venture based on this video but I guess he's refering to his upper... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05YhEfCW0Rk

SarahKC1987
02-18-2011, 11:06 PM
K I feel stupid, I do understand the law. So as far as legal one's as I said my local shop has the brand Del-ton AR Lowers that are for sale as California legal. Does anyone have a review of this brand?

Cokebottle
02-19-2011, 7:52 AM
K I feel stupid, I do understand the law. So as far as legal one's as I said my local shop has the brand Del-ton AR Lowers that are for sale as California legal. Does anyone have a review of this brand?
Didn't even know that Delton made lowers.
Honestly, Delton is not the highest quality... there's a reason they're cheaper than Stag.

But for the most part, a lower is a lower as long as you're not talking about some of the plastic lowers like the Plum Crazy. Personally, I have Kaiser Defense, JD Machine, and LRPB. Other good lowers are Spikes, Noveske, LMT, and Mega. All of these are off-list, and even better, those manufacturers don't make any models that are on-list, so there can be no confusion from a LEO who assumes that all of any particular manufacturer are banned.

You'll definitely want to buy through a local shop, since it'll cost you $50-$150 to transfer one in that you buy online. What county are you in? Someone here can probably recommend a good shop.

dieselpower
02-19-2011, 8:02 AM
Just avoid Hesse, Blackthorne and Vulcan. Avoid a brand name you have never heard of unless you ask here first.

Go with a known name and you will be fine. I have seen plenty of DTi lowers that were fine. Just remember as another posted said...there is a reason things cost what they do.

SarahKC1987
02-19-2011, 2:28 PM
I appreciate the suggestions on brands. I am new to this so I have a starting point now to research from.

I like the idea of having a brand name with no ON list so theres no confusion. Thats the best idea Ive heard all day.

Del-ton is the brand my local shop carries, and I guess I'll stay away from them.

I am in Contra Costa County.....