PDA

View Full Version : What about liberty safes

lower lover
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I have heard alot of good things about liberty safes. Any one have any info.

thmpr
09-18-2006, 11:04 PM
I have a LS and have no complaints about it. Wish I had bought a larger size!!!!;)

bwiese
09-18-2006, 11:08 PM
I had a Liberty safe, and then later upgraded to their top-notch Nat'l Security line.

Several friends have Liberty Safes too.

I think you'll be happy with them, and they have a great warranty/service. [The higher end Ft. Knox safes are very good too.]

If you're in the SF Bay Area, Liberty Safes of San Jose on Bascom is where to go. Alan Hills is the dealer and is a very nice guy (and has an amazing collection of autographed photos in his shop).

Beware: most everyone buys a gun safe that is too small. If you can at all afford it financially and/or size-wise, get a larger safe. When they say "it holds N rifles", those are rifles without scopes or pistol grips: a scoped AR can take up 2+ X what a normal unscoped regular rifle takes.

gotgunz
09-19-2006, 12:01 AM
I also have a Liberty safe (Washington 40 model) and am very pleased with it. The finish is great and doesnt look out of place in my office and serves my needs well. I can not stress enough what others have said....

Get the biggest safe you can afford or will fit in the designated spot within your home. Nothing is worse than finding you are out of storage space and then try to explain to the wife why you need to replace it.
If you are in the Sacramento area Liberty has a showroom in West Sacto. I bought mine at the State Fair last year as they had the best prices there and I got the demo model.
Good luck.

Satex
09-19-2006, 3:31 PM
Which one is better and why: Liberty or Amsec?

50ae
09-19-2006, 4:19 PM
I love my safe. Get the biggest safe that you can move which for me was 635#. If you are married, get two because your wife is going to take up half of it anyway.

stator
09-19-2006, 8:09 PM

Liberty's are overpriced as is my experience. If you remember the Carlsbad/San Marcus fire years back, my Liberty was burnt badly and everything inside. Also, the neighborhood experience was that if you did not purchase commerical, fire-rated safes, you lost the contents.

So, Liberty or Amsec... six of one, half dozen of the other. If you have a house fire where the fire department responds, these safes will do okay. Most of the heat rises and concentrates up in the attic where the safe is not.

However, if it is a brush fire and the fire department is overwhelmed in containing it, forgot it. It is gone unless you have spent the money for one of the commerical units.

So I guess the answer is where in San Diego do you live.

stator
09-19-2006, 8:10 PM

Liberty's are overpriced as is my experience. If you remember the Carlsbad/San Marcus fire years back, my Liberty was burnt badly and everything inside. Also, the neighborhood experience was that if you did not purchase commerical, fire-rated safes, you lost the contents.

So, Liberty or Amsec... six of one, half dozen of the other. If you have a house fire where the fire department responds, these safes will do okay. Most of the heat rises and concentrates up in the attic where the safe is not.

However, if it is a brush fire and the fire department is overwhelmed in containing it, forgot it. It is gone unless you have spent the money for one of the commerical units.

So I guess the answer is where in San Diego do you live.

Satex
09-19-2006, 9:12 PM
Which safe model did you have that didn't hold up in the fire? What was its fire rating?