PDA

View Full Version : Sightings, multiple big cats..

BigMac
09-17-2006, 11:29 AM
For about the last two months I have been hunting A zone. I hunt the back side of mount hamilton in the San Antonio Valley.

Last night just at the end of shooting hours, I spot this big ol doe and her fawn. The doe is looking behind her ignoring me completely. I think, maybe there's a buck shes loking at so I follow her eyes. I cant see a thing. The guy I'm hunting with is coming outa his skin.. obscured by a tree from my view 45-50 feet away is the biggest mountain lion I've ever seen! When I got a look at him he was already running away fast. He was so big he made the buck I killed this year look like a fawn.

Thats two mountain lions I've seen within 2 miles of each other in less than two months.

If your out in the bushes by yourself, beware! This lion could have easily taken me or my hunting partner.

I think it's time to apply for a depredation permit ;)

metalhead357
09-17-2006, 2:26 PM
I think it's time to apply for a depredation permit ;)

LOL! Oh God how I long for the day....but I'm not holding my breath over them issuing permits anytime soon:cool:

So did ya' get one? Deer that is?

BigMac
09-17-2006, 6:09 PM
Not this weekend. I was just backin up a kid. I had no intention of actually shooting one myself this weekend.

Had I seen the lion sooner I may have followed the three s principle.

Rumpled
09-17-2006, 6:49 PM
BigMac,
That's all private land, right?
Some warden once told me that there are some antelople in that area.
Any truth to that?

I think any cat heading in your direction is going to put you in fear for your life, take appropiate action.

metalhead357
09-17-2006, 7:17 PM
Had I seen the lion sooner I may have followed the three s principle.

LOL! SHHHHHHHHHH! I hope no hunter has to come to that but I know what ya' mean.

My huntin' bud was wrapped up this weekend (opening for B) and I was shooting a garand match...looking like a "late season" for us unless something breaks for both of us....wayyyy to many crazy obligations:mad: and here NOTHING was happening for the last month...then now, BOOM, everything hits right as deer season starts! ArrrGHhh!!!!

BigMac
09-18-2006, 7:11 AM
The weather is changing right now and the bucks are CRAZY. I found a rub on a sapling right next to where I camp.

We were building a wall up there and these deer were walking in the dang yard. Were banging away and talking and they didn't even notice us or care (probly the care is more likely).

I have not seen antelope yet but I only get to hunt a couple hundred acres. There are a couple of spots with elk.. so antelope isn't that far a stretch.

My wife will wait all summer and as soon as deer season comes she wants to clean the shed and do a bunch of honey doos. I think it's on purpose. All the gunshows I want to attend are during deer season. My buisiness partner and his brother are both going to Vegas the last week of season so I'm stuck at the store. Mabe I should get myself an archery tag so I can hunt more of the state ;) Does the DFG still do the archery only tags?

anotherone
09-18-2006, 1:10 PM
You're lucky that you saw the mountain lion on the ground. Oftentimes they're 30+ feet in the trees ready to leap on whatever prey comes by. My wife is terrified of me being mauled by a mountain lion. I'm pretty wary out there myself too, a lion can easily take a hunter regardless of what gear you're carrying.

BigMac
09-18-2006, 2:00 PM
Well, these are 'pet" deer ;)

Rumpled
09-18-2006, 2:08 PM
Well, these are 'pet" deer ;)

Got a dog around the property?
Or, get a goat for brush clearance.

BigMac
09-19-2006, 6:58 AM
We saw this last cat on my friends, neighboring ranch. It is a working cattle ranch. He was sitting righ up next to the ranch road waiting to jump this doe or her fawn. I didn't see him till he was nearly 100 yards away and POOF, he disapeared.

I'll sit at the ridge and glass for him but, without a dog I'm not going after him.

metalhead357
09-19-2006, 7:22 PM
I'll sit at the ridge and glass for him but, without a dog I'm not going after him.

Without that, a permit, and a full dose of DFG holy water you'd unfortunately be looking for legal trouble; one of the few times I really will say its NOT time to be 'self-sufficient'. If they're (cats) causing a problem there, contact DFG and let it become thier problem.......

BigMac
09-19-2006, 7:28 PM
If I did it, I wouldn't tell anyone. I didn't do it, so I'm talking about it.

I dont even know anyone with a lion dog. Lumpy ceryainly isn't chaseing one. He doesn't hardly want to get out of the truck.

DFG can service me. They have done nothing in my opinion to manage game in this state. Every time I've met a DFG person in the field I have been treated like a dang criminal. Every dang time! What the heck did they change the pig tag purchaseing to 14 bucks EACH! They certainly do nothing for pig habitat. They don't get us any special hunts where they are overpopulated.. they hire governmaent trappers to trap them, shoot them and dispose of the bodies. Then they uped the fee for a tag. I used to get seven for the now price of one!

I could go on and on about there little govenment monopoly.

metalhead357
09-19-2006, 7:53 PM
LOL! I hear ya' guy! But it does surprise me about the DFG in the field, for me only one 'bad' run in with one (one in what? 200+) who was retired and still thought he had the badge and gun full-time for self-governance. When I pulled my DFG given field regs and showed him where he was wrong he shut up quick but within 10 minutes was mouthy again about people's attitudes:cool:

I hear & feel the same way on the pig tags:cool:

But until/unless we can get the dang population here to vote down the lion's protection that is the "safe" course to follow.........