PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever hunt pigs with slugs?

anotherone
09-16-2006, 9:49 PM
Being that I got into the whole OLL in the off-season I've got an EOTech now... and I just can't help but think the EOTech could make a pretty sweet sight for a slug gun. I'm thinking about getting the cantelever rifled barrel for my shotty and mounting it on the cantelever mount. Please feel free to weigh in; is this a good idea or should I just put the money towards a good lever gun instead of a slug barrel?

theseacow
09-16-2006, 9:58 PM
hogs don't run when hit with slugs.

JPglee1
09-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Being that I got into the whole OLL in the off-season I've got an EOTech now... and I just can't help but think the EOTech could make a pretty sweet sight for a slug gun. I'm thinking about getting the cantelever rifled barrel for my shotty and mounting it on the cantelever mount. Please feel free to weigh in; is this a good idea or should I just put the money towards a good lever gun instead of a slug barrel?

Sounds good to me...I put sights on my 18" mossie barrel and its fairly accurate with slugs out to about 20 yards (been a while but approx 4" groups at 20 yards without really trying). With a dot sight and a rifled barrel it would be REALLY cool with slugs out to about 50yds or so.

Ive been thinking that would be a cool vehicle stopper, a rifled slug barrel with a red dot type sight on a dedicated mount, just screw it on in 20 seconds as a whole unit, the rifling would probably help spread out #4 or 0/00 buck for CQB stuff as an added bonus.

J

ivanimal
09-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I dont take chances with piggies be sure you are in range for the slug or you will have a mad piggie bearing down on you. They like to meet ther agressor.:eek: I use a formidable rifle with lots of back up for pig. 45-70 and a 44 Magnum.

TrailerparkTrash
09-16-2006, 11:57 PM
I killed a hog with a standard 12ga foster type. It actually did too much damage to the hog's meat.

I like rifles better.

BigMac
09-17-2006, 8:45 AM
I shoot them with a .270. I don't use a backup gun and they don't even hear the shot.

Shot placement is KEY. Hitting them in the ear, even with a .22 will put them down. DO NOT shoot them in the forehead ;)

Wulf
09-17-2006, 12:32 PM
There's some pretty slick mounts that put a rail on top of a SG reciever. With a good barrel/slug combo you should be able to whack a pig as far as a slug is good for. You might have to play with different brands of slugs and chokes to find a combo that groups nicely.

anotherone
09-20-2006, 10:08 PM
I killed a hog with a standard 12ga foster type. It actually did too much damage to the hog's meat.

I like rifles better.

I've heard a lot of mixed stories regarding using slugs in smoothbores. A lot of people have told me a slug will damage a smoothbore barrel. However, I've always thought that foster type slugs were made for smoothbores and the sabot types are made for rifled "shotguns".