PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Safe on 2nd story

Henry
09-16-2006, 9:31 PM
I've got a question for you guys and gals. I have a smaller 400# safe that I want to install in my bedroom closet upstairs. The house is a newer house built within the last 3 years and has carpet over OSB boards on I believe OSB joists. How would you recommend mounting the safe, bolts, toggle bolts, bolts through a 1/2 plywood sheet, etc...

stator
09-19-2006, 8:16 PM
I would never keep a safe upstairs. Think of what will happen in the event of a fire.

Satex
09-19-2006, 9:10 PM
Does anyone know what a typical load rating for an upstrairs floor it?
Why would I care if a safe drops one floor in case of a fire?

Henry
09-20-2006, 4:22 PM
I'd have to agree with the whole safe dropping through the floor thing, if my 400# safe is a hazard what about the 600-800# entertainment center I have upstairs? The biggest concern I have isn't the load rating of the floor, but the amount of force applied to the floor when I open the door. I don't want the bolts tearing out of the floor boards. I've mounted safes to concrete and to solid wood floors but the new construction of homes has me stumped.

Rob454
09-22-2006, 11:02 PM
What you do is peel the carpet back. Measure out a area 4x the base of the safe then cut the floor out. Set the depth of the saw blade so it ONLY cuts through the OSB. Look and see how the joists run. youll see the line of nails. When you cut try to make the cut along the joist ( parrallel cut) to be about 1/2 of the joist thinkness this way the OSB edge along the cut is still resting on the Joist. the cross cut basically try not to cut into the joist. A little bit is ok but try not to cut it too much. the joists usually are I shaped with the flat parts being what the floor rests on. then go get a piece of wood board in whatever thikness you need. Some floors are as thick as 1/2 inch. some are 1 inch depending on the builder. Now counter sink screw holes in the new piece of wood then drill them slightly smaller than the screws youll be using. Use wood screws not drywall screws. screw everything back down including the OSB. Now make sure you run a bead of liquid nails on the top of the joists before you set the new piece of plywood down.
While youre opened up the floor you can always set soem 2x4s cut to width between the joists and screw them in also for extra bracing. then you can use long bolts to bolt it all down.
Rob

Henry
09-25-2006, 3:10 PM
Thanks Rob, thats the kind of information I was looking for.

stator
09-28-2006, 8:45 AM
Does anyone know what a typical load rating for an upstrairs floor it?
Why would I care if a safe drops one floor in case of a fire?

Check out residential fires and you will notice the fire will consume more of the top than the bottom. An entertainment center will burn and lighten up. A gun safe will not and will fall through. It could land on someone like a firefighter.

Even if you are just concerned about the safety of your guns, then why would you put them up in the hotter part of the fire?

Henry
09-29-2006, 4:54 AM
I was planning on putting a smaller safe with some long arms in my master bedroom upstairs. I didn't realize that placing a safe upstairs was so dangerous, what do people who live in apartment buildings do with their long arms?

stator
09-29-2006, 8:48 PM
I was planning on putting a smaller safe with some long arms in my master bedroom upstairs. I didn't realize that placing a safe upstairs was so dangerous, what do people who live in apartment buildings do with their long arms?

All of the leases that I've signed around my area back in my renter days had weight restricted items to the first floor which usually included safes and waterbeds. So I guess those with safes rent on the first floor?

Always seek out the space less likely to contain a hot fire for your gun safes. This would be in the low portion of your house and away from gas dryers, gas stoves and ovens, gas heaters, and gas lines. Of course, it needs to be in a secured area as well. Therefore, do not put your gun safe like I did, about 6 feat from the gas heater and water heater (although there is a wall there). It was against the advice of my installer but I had a far more restriction on available spots dictated by my wife.

rorschach
10-02-2006, 1:51 AM
I live in a 2nd story apartment, and have a Homak cabinet in which I just keep 4 or 5 long guns and a few pistols, the rest are in a bigger safe at my parents house.