PDA

View Full Version : New to Firearms in General

T.O.M.
02-14-2011, 6:26 PM
Hey all, my name's Tom.

I made an account here a while ago, but had a bad username..

I'm 18 and just ordered my first rifle, a Tikka T3 Scout CTR in .308 Win.

I've pretty much had interest in firearms my whole life, but my parents are anti-gun, so I could never own one until 18.

This place is awesome and just soaked in knowledge, well, better start reading. :43:

bsg
02-14-2011, 7:15 PM
welcome to the forum.

SoCal Bob
02-14-2011, 8:01 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Study hard, get a good job, buy quality toys. :D

bodger
02-14-2011, 8:11 PM
Welcome. I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in .270 Winchester a while ago. They're a fine rifle.

Good luck.

emilio
02-14-2011, 8:14 PM
welcome, Tom!

it sounds like you made a good choice for a first gun. (an 18 year-old that didn't buy an AR! all is not lost!) do a modest break-in and don't do too much rapid fire and the barrel should last you a good while!

some warnings, mostly about saving money:

- don't go overboard with cleaning: your first gun is a treasure, and you'll probably want to baby the hell out of it. there is such a thing as too much cleaning though, as you can wear down the bore and finish unnecessarily. read up on quick cleaning versus detailed cleaning, and when each is recommended.

- don't buy too many guns! at least, at first... yeah, some people say "there's no such thing as too many guns" but they're usually rich and have a lot of room for gun safes. just stop by the For Sale forums to see how many people bought one or ten guns too many.

- diversify: ten guns that are all ARs in .223 is one of the most boring gun collections ever. it's also one of the most useless for learning about guns, since all you can do is learn about one kind of gun. so...

- get the big three: a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun. these days the typical choices seem to be a tactical carbine or scoped bolt gun, a 12ga pump-action shotgun, and a semiautomatic pistol. these not only fill the need for defensive or hunting engagement from zero to 600 yards, they'll also help you build a rounded skill-at-arms. yeah, you can't buy a handgun yet, but just view that as time to research and try other people's guns to see what you like.

- get a .22: everyone should have a .22! they're cheap to feed and fun to shoot, and they're an easy way to build trigger control or teach others how to shoot.

- don't drink the Kool-Aid: lots of cool new products pop up to capitalize on we gun nuts being a spendy bunch. every month seems to bring a new AR sighting system, pistol shooting technique, and wunder-lube. ammunition development is a precise commercial science backed by huge marketing dollars - seems like there's always a new-best defensive pistol load or "like a .223 but..." rifle round. manufacturers feeling the crunch in this economy have looked to the big numbers the arms industry is pulling in and see dollar signs if they can just market a product just right. research carefully, choose wisely, and be patient enough to wait for product reviews and competitive prices on new products.

- old guns are cool: surplus military arms are abundant (though not as cheap as the were just a few years ago) and many make fine shooters if not valuable collectibles. and that used 1950's-era .22 in the dusty case might not look like much, but it could still have a century of reliable and fun shooting left in it.

- try to DIY: not everyone wants to work on guns, or even build them, but give it a shot. try a simple project like scope mounting or fitting a minor part. if you find you really like target shooting, check out reloading. hey, maybe you don't like any of it, and you don't have to, but at least you tried.

and, as always, ask for help if you need it! people at ranges tend to be friendly and advice is easy to come by (maybe too easy, we're also an opinionated bunch, lol), and many folks are happy to let you have a couple shots on their gun if you ask nicely.

- emilio

T.O.M.
02-14-2011, 8:24 PM
Welcome. I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in .270 Winchester a while ago. They're a fine rifle.

Good luck.

That's good to hear, I couldn't find many reviews on Tikka T3, so I was a bit worried.

welcome, Tom!

it sounds like you made a good choice for a first gun. (an 18 year-old that didn't buy an AR! all is not lost!) do a modest break-in and don't do too much rapid fire and the barrel should last you a good while!

some warnings, mostly about saving money:

- don't go overboard with cleaning: your first gun is a treasure, and you'll probably want to baby the hell out of it. there is such a thing as too much cleaning though, as you can wear down the bore and finish unnecessarily. read up on quick cleaning versus detailed cleaning, and when each is recommended.

- don't buy too many guns! at least, at first... yeah, some people say "there's no such thing as too many guns" but they're usually rich and have a lot of room for gun safes. just stop by the For Sale forums to see how many people bought one or ten guns too many.

- diversify: ten guns that are all ARs in .223 is one of the most boring gun collections ever. it's also one of the most useless for learning about guns, since all you can do is learn about one kind of gun. so...

- get the big three: a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun. these days the typical choices seem to be a tactical carbine or scoped bolt gun, a 12ga pump-action shotgun, and a semiautomatic pistol. these not only fill the need for defensive or hunting engagement from zero to 600 yards, they'll also help you build a rounded skill-at-arms. yeah, you can't buy a handgun yet, but just view that as time to research and try other people's guns to see what you like.

- get a .22: everyone should have a .22! they're cheap to feed and fun to shoot, and they're an easy way to build trigger control or teach others how to shoot.

- don't drink the Kool-Aid: lots of cool new products pop up to capitalize on we gun nuts being a spendy bunch. every month seems to bring a new AR sighting system, pistol shooting technique, and wunder-lube. ammunition development is a precise commercial science backed by huge marketing dollars - seems like there's always a new-best defensive pistol load or "like a .223 but..." rifle round. manufacturers feeling the crunch in this economy have looked to the big numbers the arms industry is pulling in and see dollar signs if they can just market a product just right. research carefully, choose wisely, and be patient enough to wait for product reviews and competitive prices on new products.

- old guns are cool: surplus military arms are abundant (though not as cheap as the were just a few years ago) and many make fine shooters if not valuable collectibles. and that used 1950's-era .22 in the dusty case might not look like much, but it could still have a century of reliable and fun shooting left in it.

- try to DIY: not everyone wants to work on guns, or even build them, but give it a shot. try a simple project like scope mounting or fitting a minor part. if you find you really like target shooting, check out reloading. hey, maybe you don't like any of it, and you don't have to, but at least you tried.

and, as always, ask for help if you need it! people at ranges tend to be friendly and advice is easy to come by (maybe too easy, we're also an opinionated bunch, lol), and many folks are happy to let you have a couple shots on their gun if you ask nicely.

- emilio

Wow, thanks bunch for that lot of advice. I probably would have done the over cleaning thing, as I oil my knives constantly, and probably would have gotten into a habit of doing that for firearms as well. I'll have to read up on breaking in my rifle.. Again, thank you. :D

zod
02-14-2011, 8:54 PM
Welcome to the forums. Great advice by emillio ^^^ Shoot even I'm taking in the advice and I've owned firearms for awhile.

Colt-45
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Hey all, my name's Tom.

I made an account here a while ago, but had a bad username..

I'm 18 and just ordered my first rifle, a Tikka T3 Scout CTR in .308 Win.

I've pretty much had interest in firearms my whole life, but my parents are anti-gun, so I could never own one until 18.

This place is awesome and just soaked in knowledge, well, better start reading. :43:

Welcome to Calguns TOM. I was once young and curious about guns, I'm 21 now lol.

My best advice to you would be to buy a rifle and a sidearm. Master them, shoot thousands of rounds. Then proceed to buy more guns. It's better to have 1 gun and know everything about it than to have 20 guns and not be able to shoot accurately with half of them.

mrb865
02-15-2011, 1:11 AM
Welcome! Congratulations on your purchase. Have you considered enrolling into a local firearms training class? I highly recommend it, you'll learn a bunch of great stuff, and you will meet many fine people who may become shooting buddies with you. Go have fun and Be Safe!

den888
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Welcome!

emilio
02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Wow, thanks bunch for that lot of advice. I probably would have done the over cleaning thing, as I oil my knives constantly, and probably would have gotten into a habit of doing that for firearms as well. I'll have to read up on breaking in my rifle.. Again, thank you. :D

you're welcome!

heh, yeah, it was a lot of advice, but it was also kind of a test-run for an article i'm thinking of writing. and there's definitely such thing as too much oil on a gun: excess oil in the bore is a Bad Thing, and too much oil or grease elsewhere is just something for dust and powder residue to stick to!

- emilio

Wicked Pete
02-15-2011, 1:37 PM
Welcome. Too bad, sometimes we have to "side step" those who believe it is the Gun that is the problem, not the "whack job - psycho" pulling the trigger. Just ban psychos!

BayAreaShooter
02-15-2011, 2:02 PM
Welcome aboard.