PDA

View Full Version : Overall length question

Santa Cruz Armory
09-15-2006, 9:41 PM
A friend has a Winchester model 1897 12 gauge that he wants to take in to get repaired (VERY light trigger).

The question is the barrel is only 19 5/8" long and the OAL is 34". Is this thing legal or should he just render it inoperable and keep it as a family heirloom? Supposedly it's been in the family for 3 generations...

69Mach1
09-15-2006, 9:48 PM
Minimum length for a shotgun barrel is 18 inches. I don't know if there's an OAL applied to pump-actions.

bwiese
09-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Your friend's good. 18" is the minimum barrel length and 26" is the minimum overall length for a long gun.

In CA, semiautomatic rifles must have a minimum overall length of 30" or they are assault weapons, otherwise the above numbers hold true.

JS-M1A
09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Your friend's good. 18" is the minimum barrel length and 26" is the minimum overall length for a long gun.

In CA, semiautomatic rifles must have a minimum overall length of 30" or they are assault weapons, otherwise the above numbers hold true.
If the weapon is already an assault weapon
could it be converted to have a lenth of 26"?
Ie putting a folding or collapsable stock on.

bwiese
09-15-2006, 10:34 PM
If the weapon is already an assault weapon
could it be converted to have a lenth of 26"?
Ie putting a folding or collapsable stock on.

Yes, if it's already a legal, registered assault weapon it can certainly possess that characteristic, or have it added at a later date as it is 'eligible' to have it.

Broadly, PC 12280(a) and (b) only control the possession, transport and manufacture, etc. of unregistered assault weapons. There is no crime in adding, changing or deleting any characteristic feature(s) to legal, registered assault weapons - which is the primary reason the DOJ's/Alllison's infamous Feb 3 "Category 4" memo was so readily shot down.

JS-M1A
09-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Yes, if it's already a legal, registered assault weapon it can certainly possess that characteristic, or have it added at a later date as it is 'eligible' to have it.

Broadly, PC 12280(a) and (b) only control the possession, transport and manufacture, etc. of unregistered assault weapons. There is no crime in adding, changing or deleting any characteristic feature(s) to legal, registered assault weapons - which is the primary reason the DOJ's/Alllison's infamous Feb 3 "Category 4" memo was so readily shot down.
Thank you ...

-hanko
09-16-2006, 5:46 PM
Minimum length for a shotgun barrel is 18 inches. I don't know if there's an OAL applied to pump-actions.
26" under federal law. I'd suppose prk is the same, but it's risky to suppose in the prk. Federal law applies to any shotgun: pump,semi, or otherwise.

-hanko

blkA4alb
09-16-2006, 5:56 PM
26" under federal law. I'd suppose prk is the same, but it's risky to suppose in the prk. Federal law applies to any shotgun: pump,semi, or otherwise.

-hanko
If california does not have a more specific law about shotgun OAL (which it doens't) then it falls under federal law. The OAL limit is 26".

Charliegone
09-16-2006, 9:08 PM

correction semiautomatic centerfire rifles must have a minimum overall length of 30", rimfires can be at federal 26".:D Been told too many times...so I must know.:D