PDA

View Full Version : Bad endorsment

sixtringr
02-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I just heard on the radio ex-Sacramento Sheriff John McGuiness the CCW opponent (read: denier of constitutional rights) doing a comercial for Liberty Safes. It made up my mind who I am not buying from when the tax refund gets here!
Mike

CEDaytonaRydr
02-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't get it... :confused:

If he's so anti-2A, why is he endorsing gun safes?

Veggie
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM

So the police don't have to search your house for guns they just take the whole safe after you put them all in there duh :P

CEDaytonaRydr
02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
So the police don't have to search your house for guns they just take the whole safe after you put them all in there duh :P

Awesome... :D ;)

dfletcher
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

When he was Sheriff he was very, very tight with CCWs for about 99% of his tenure. I presume he's endorsing safes for a simple reason - to earn $$$. Seems like an odd match, perhaps Liberty is relying on gun owners to see the badge/title and not remember the former Sheriff's policy.

Lone_Gunman
02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
He has his own radio show on KFBK (1530 AM) weekday afternoons now. I haven't listened much, but I'm hoping someone calls and takes him to task on his former ccw policy.

ADH
02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Liberty Safes added to my no-purchase list. Thanks for the heads up!

N6ATF
02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
So are we going to contact Liberty Safes and tell them they are being advertised by an anti-liberty disgraced ex-sheriff?

smtimelevi
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM

So you'll leave your guns in there and not need a CCW...

CalBear
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know if this is the case with McGinness, but it seems like there are a whole lot of sheriffs who say something like "don't get my wrong, I support the 2nd amendment, but..." or "I'm an NRA member, but..."

Too frequently, there is a but. They claim to support 2A rights, and yet they don't do a thing to help out gun owners.

Recession
02-14-2011, 12:18 PM
So are we going to contact Liberty Safes and tell them they are being advertised by an anti-liberty disgraced ex-sheriff?
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu67/JCampbell72/OwenStarskyHutchSignatureDoIt.jpg

smtimelevi
02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't know if this is the case with McGinness, but it seems like there are a whole lot of sheriffs who say something like "don't get my wrong, I support the 2nd amendment, but..." or "I'm an NRA member, but..."

Too frequently, there is a but. They claim to support 2A rights, and yet they don't do a thing to help out gun owners.

Kindla like saying "with all due respect" before saying something rude. I believe there's a member who already outlines this in his proflie.

sighere
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Yup. It's like saying "I'm Catholic.....but..... I believe in abortion!"

CalBear
02-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Kindla like saying "with all due respect" before saying something rude. I believe there's a member who already outlines this in his proflie.

Yup. It's like saying "I'm Catholic.....but..... I believe in abortion!"

Yup. In this case it's probably "I support the 2nd amendment, but I care more about political pandering than supporting Constitutional rights."

bwiese
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
To former Sheriff McGinniss' credit, he did not extend irrational opposition to Sykes for an irrationally long period.

CGF sued, and and a fair resolution was reached and nobody broke the budget to do it.

And thus the ground for Sacto CCW was laid before the new Sheriff took office.

Contrast former Sheriff McGinniss' conduct with that of Sheriff Prieto in Yolo County, for example. Tell me Yolo doesn't have deep financial problems needing addressing.

OleCuss
02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
^^^
This.

Whether or not it took a nice lawyerly slap or not, he got the right idea and locked it in for his county. I can respect him although I'll never likely be a big fan.

Window_Seat
02-14-2011, 1:12 PM
Sheriff McGinniss (if I'm not mistaken) began issuing based on GC being defined as SD/P prior to Sykes becoming Richards, and he didn't have to do anything until settlement of the case.

I will always show a :thumbsup: to any Sheriff or elected official who chooses to throw on a pair of flip-flops in the name of complying with the Constitution, and Sheriff McGinniss is no exception.

Now about that safe... I like it.

Erik.

ke6guj
02-14-2011, 1:20 PM
I just heard on the radio ex-Sacramento Sheriff John McGuiness the CCW opponent (read: denier of constitutional rights) doing a comercial for Liberty Safes. It made up my mind who I am not buying from when the tax refund gets here!
Mikewas this a commercial from Liberty Safes themselves, or from the local safe shop selling Liberty Safes? It does make a difference if it is Liberty Safes that paid the ex-sheriff to do the ad, or if it was Jimmy John's safe outlet that was trying to move some Liberty Safes out the door.

Liberty Safes added to my no-purchase list. Thanks for the heads up!
you can have that point of view if you want, but make sure you know who the "bad guy" is in this deal. I wouldn't punish Liberty Safes if one of their vendors uses a spokesman you don't like. If that is the case, boycott the vendor, not the manufacturer.

Ape
02-14-2011, 1:31 PM
Well I was all ready to send off an email to Liberty Safes until the point was made about the commercial being local or actually sponsored by Liberty.
Anyone know if this was a local add or not? Because if it is a local add the subject should still be addressed to Liberty IMO. But the heavy hand should be directed mroe towards the local advertiser.

ADH
02-14-2011, 1:35 PM
you can have that point of view if you want, but make sure you know who the "bad guy" is in this deal. I wouldn't punish Liberty Safes if one of their vendors uses a spokesman you don't like. If that is the case, boycott the vendor, not the manufacturer.

Fair enough. Let's do some due diligence and find out where the sponsorship originates from. Then onto the "no fly list" with whoever it is.

Ape
02-14-2011, 2:02 PM
I still say Liberty needs to have some info forwarded to them even if they aren't the intiators of this add. I'd be willing to bet they'd like to know who their vendors are picking for endorsment adds.

ke6guj
02-14-2011, 2:09 PM
yup, there is nothing wrong with letting Liberty know that one of their vendors is givng them a bad name by using what you feel is an inappropriate ad campain.

bwiese
02-14-2011, 2:50 PM
Guys, think of the poltiics of this.

When somebody bends our way, we leave him alone... we don't need to dance on his grave. It also sets up a nice 'social reward' system - "the pain stops when you're not messing with us anymore." (I would modify that to say if McGinniss had left office doing everything to thwart us, then he could rightfully still be castigated into his post-Sheriff life...)

Let McGinniss hawk Liberty Safes. I also doubt that Liberty main office in Utah decided to hire a retired sheriff for a promotion. Liberty Safe has a store in Sacto and probably gave the retired Sheriff a safe to use his name for a spot.

Sacramento's pretty much "fixed" in some part due to McGinniss who didn't want a battle royale. We instead should be focusing our derision on Ed Prieto of Yolo Cty, who's wasting his county's money fighting the Richards case ...

kln5
02-14-2011, 6:15 PM
I just bought a Liberty safe 2 months ago. It is a nice safe. I know Glenn Beck endorses them. At least the ex sheriff came around on the issuing process.

Gray Peterson
02-14-2011, 8:08 PM
Leave McGinness alone. Regardless of the current sheriff's involvement with the settlement, McGinness was the one who made the call to settle.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

BigDogatPlay
02-14-2011, 8:13 PM
Beck, Savage, and tons of local hosts all do spots for Liberty Safes, not for local outlets. It's a reasonably decent product at a fair price.

Don't hang the product because you don't like the messenger

MP301
02-14-2011, 9:01 PM
"the pain stops when you're not messing with us anymore." ...

Words of wisdom...leave him be. We have bigger fish to fry!

rsrocket1
02-15-2011, 8:17 AM
In the radio business $$ talks. I'm glad to hear more and more ads in Sactomato for gun safes, TDS, Sac Black Rifle and Just Guns on several AM stations in the area. It must be giving those anti 2nd Amendment scum (politicians) from the bay area and SoCal fits to hear these ads!

Smokeybehr
02-15-2011, 9:05 AM
The Glenn Beck/Liberty Safes ad on KMJ-FM is specific to the local dealer.