PDA

View Full Version : **EDIT** NH, CO, & Wyoming Moving Towards Constitutional Carry

choprzrul
02-13-2011, 3:45 PM
**EDITED to add NH & CO to the list!**

WY Article Here (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/wyoming-house-panel-backs-concealed-carr)

Cheyenne, Wyo. (AP) - Wyoming residents would be able to carry concealed guns without a permit under a bill that has cleared a legislative committee.

CO Article Here (http://www.ammoland.com/2011/02/07/constitutional-carry-introduced-in-colorado-legislature/)

Colorado --(Ammoland.com)- Friday State Rep. Chris Holbert (R-Parker) and State Sen. Greg Brophy (R-Wray) introduced HB1205, the Constitutional Carry Act of 2011.

This bill is designed to do one thing: allow citizens who are legally eligible to possess handguns to carry that handgun without obtaining a costly, burdensome and bureaucratic permit.

NH Article Here (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2011/02/07/bills_would_eliminate_nh_gun_license_requirement/)

CONCORD, N.H.—Competing bills have been filed to eliminate New Hampshire's license requirement for carrying concealed weapons, dividing the pro-gun community.

Tweet Be the first to Tweet this!

Yahoo! Buzz
ShareThis

Some are lining up behind state Rep. J.R. Hoell, a Dunbarton Republican, and others behind state Rep. Jennifer Coffey, a Republican from Andover.

Both of their bills allow anyone to carry a firearm openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, with or without a license. Coffey's bill also removes the requirement that nonresidents obtain a license to possess a firearm while in New Hampshire.

$P-Ritch$
02-13-2011, 3:51 PM
I am really happy to see the "more free" states slowly progressing toward Constitutional Carry. When we finally get virtual shall issue here in KA, I will feel like we've finally begun to play catch up.

Cali-Shooter
02-13-2011, 4:27 PM
Ah Wyoming, I hear they run their state much smarter than most other US states. Ofc, to say they run their state smarter than "ours" or NY's is an understatement.

forgiven
02-13-2011, 4:29 PM
Good for them.

Legasat
02-13-2011, 4:29 PM
Great! We'll soon be free too! However Wyoming goes, so goes California.....er, wait....no :(

Good for them anyway!

jonyg
02-13-2011, 4:37 PM
Waiting for the day where the thread will read "California has Constitutional Carry" instead of "Wyoming" or some other state...

CalBear
02-13-2011, 4:43 PM
Ah Wyoming, I hear they run their state much smarter than most other US states. Ofc, to say they run their state smarter than "ours" or NY's is an understatement.
So it seems.

http://247wallst.com/2010/10/04/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-a-survey-of-all-fifty/

1st. Wyoming
Debt per Capita: $4,310 (2nd)
Unemployment Rate: 6.8% (8th)
Home Price Change (’06 – ’09): 23.6% (1st)
Median Household Income: $52,664 (19th)
Wyoming comes in first place in 24/7 Wall St.’s Best Run States. Falling in the top fifteen in every metric, including sixth in debt per capita and second in percent below the poverty line. The only two flaws in the state’s record is median income, where it ranks 19th, and health insurance coverage, where it ranks 32nd. It also ranks first in high school completion. With just over half a million residents, it is the least populous state.

Saigon1965
02-13-2011, 4:48 PM
Lets get more states on the wagon - I really like what Montana is doing - Hope it'll hold up though -

CCWFacts
02-13-2011, 4:55 PM
Great! We'll soon be free too! However Wyoming goes, so goes California.....er, wait....no :(

This kind of progress in other states really helps us, even if it doesn't directly apply here.

What happens is, our enemies will try to argue, in court, that there is a compelling state interest in giving sheriffs control over CCW issuance. Right now, we can say, "look, how can the interest be that compelling when there are ~38 states that are shall issue and four states that are Constitutional Carry?" And the more states that get on board with this, the more hollow their "blood in the streets / compelling interest" arguments become. A year from now, there will be more than half a dozen CC states (VT, AK, AZ, WI, UT, TX, WY, MT, perhaps more). There will be only one state (IL) left without any CCW at all. How, then, will "compelling interest" arguments fly? It will be risible to claim that there is a compelling interest in sheriffs' discretion when it is clearly an anomaly and an anachronism.

choprzrul
02-13-2011, 5:04 PM
See post # 1 for articles about New Hampshire and Colorado also jumping on the Constitutional Carry bandwagon!

Cali-Shooter
02-13-2011, 5:08 PM
So it seems.

http://247wallst.com/2010/10/04/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-a-survey-of-all-fifty/

Wow, good find. Another possible bug out state? I've met some kind folks from Wyoming.

Kid Stanislaus
02-13-2011, 5:10 PM
[/QUOTE=jonyg;5809056]Waiting for the day where the thread will read "California has Constitutional Carry" instead of "Wyoming" or some other state...[/QUOTE]:rofl2:

Gray Peterson
02-13-2011, 5:10 PM
New Hampshire and Wyoming will get constitutional carry. Colorado will not.

Nodda Duma
02-13-2011, 5:22 PM
NH is pretty danged close to Constitutional Carry as it is. $10, a valid reason for a concealed carry license (and they give you three reasons on the back of the app that must, by law, be accepted), and a *maximum* 14 day wait, and you can carry concealed. No classes, training, nothing.

Here's a no-bones practical point to take note of:

Thing is, while constitutional carry is great, I hope New Hampshire continues to offer an optional license (there's been talk about adding an amendment to do so). I say this for the sake of reciprocity. NH has reciprocal license with 20 other states..including Arkansas and Missouri where I go to visit my folks. If straight-up constitutional carry is passed, then the ability to carry in those other states goes away. Some may balk at police maintaining that type of record, but... that's just not going to happen in NH. They definitely live by their state motto here.

Of course, the better solution would be for constitutional carry throughout the United States, but the reality is that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

-Jason

wildhawker
02-13-2011, 5:22 PM
Wow, good find. Another possible bug out state? I've met some kind folks from Wyoming.

Wyoming is an awesome state, if you can find work and don't mind sub-zero temps (or hail/plains thunderstorms). The largest city is the capitol (Cheyenne) with ~58,000, having 85,000 in the MSA.

"More than 48% of the land in Wyoming is owned by the U.S. Government". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming).

Wyoming is the libertarian Free State West project selection, and the runner-up to New Hampshire overall for the Free State Project selection.

I just got back from a week in Jackson Hole. It was cold, but a great place to visit.

Window_Seat
02-13-2011, 5:51 PM
The Senate in Colorado is NOT controlled by the pro2A movement(s), and even in the (unlikely) event that this passed the CO Senate, the Governor there would veto it faster than you could say pre-cognition.

If anything moots Peterson, it will be the Thune Amendment.

Erik.

choprzrul
02-13-2011, 6:06 PM
The best kept secret in all of Wyoming IMHO is the Medicine Bow Mountains. Here is a map. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=saratoga,+wy&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.829089,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Saratoga,+Carbon,+Wyoming&ll=41.41544,-106.434174&spn=0.402681,0.891953&z=11) Take the 138 between Saratoga and Centenial for an amazing trip through stunning country. My wife and I stayed at the Brooklyn Lodge one night. This log cabin was built by Hoot Jones; who was Buffalo Bill's right hand man. Brooklyn Lodge Link. (http://www.wyomingtourism.org/overview/Brooklyn-Lodge-Bed-and-Breakfast/2552)

Wyoming is an awesome state, if you can find work and don't mind sub-zero temps (or hail/plains thunderstorms). The largest city is the capitol (Cheyenne) with ~58,000, having 85,000 in the MSA.

"More than 48% of the land in Wyoming is owned by the U.S. Government". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming).

Wyoming is the libertarian Free State West project selection, and the runner-up to New Hampshire overall for the Free State Project selection.

I just got back from a week in Jackson Hole. It was cold, but a great place to visit.

Pred@tor
02-13-2011, 6:16 PM
Im still waiting for Missouri to do this but the state right to keep and bear arm clause in the state constitution will have to change to do this.

Window_Seat
02-13-2011, 8:23 PM
Im still waiting for Missouri to do this but the state right to keep and bear arm clause in the state constitution will have to change to do this.

Counsel, et all... Is this true? Me thinks it's not necessary because of McDonald incorporation.

Erik.

Gray Peterson
02-13-2011, 9:22 PM
Counsel, et all... Is this true? Me thinks it's not necessary because of McDonald incorporation.

Erik.

Not true. It's basically a statement of what civil rights a person has, they don't have a right to conceal carry, but the legislature can legalize it if they wish. This was litigated in 2004 when several counties tried to make the claim that who you're quoting is talking about. Missouri Supreme Court disagreed with them.

choprzrul
02-14-2011, 6:39 AM
Not true. It's basically a statement of what civil rights a person has, they don't have a right to conceal carry, but the legislature can legalize it if they wish. This was litigated in 2004 when several counties tried to make the claim that who you're quoting is talking about. Missouri Supreme Court disagreed with them.

In your opinion, would that SCOMO decision have been rendered differently post Heller-McDonald?

Nor-Cal
02-14-2011, 8:37 AM
This is great!

J.D.Allen
02-14-2011, 8:52 AM
New Hampshire and Wyoming will get constitutional carry. Colorado will not.

I was wondering what your take would be when I saw CO on the list...good. I have been looking forward to watching you spank Denver and move your case on up the chain...:43:

Gray Peterson
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
In your opinion, would that SCOMO decision have been rendered differently post Heller-McDonald?

Perhaps in a sense that the court should take judicial notice that the localities are allowed by state law to ban the open carrying of firearms.