PDA

View Full Version : Noob: Looking for Shotgun for Skeet

Vulcan20mm
09-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Noob here looking to get into skeet shooting and I am looking for shotgun suggestions. Since this will be my first dive into this, I am not willing to spurge on an expensive shotgun. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vulcan20mm

-hanko
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Noob here looking to get into skeet shooting and I am looking for shotgun suggestions. Since this will be my first dive into this, I am not willing to spurge on an expensive shotgun. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vulcan20mm
I'd suggest you start with a 12 gage gun. A cheap auto (used 1100) is a good way to start. If you get into it with a more specialized gun, the 1100 is nice around the home and neat to hunt with. Remington comes to mind as there are zillions of them for sale all the time. Just about any well cared for use auto would be a nice way to start. See if you can try a few.

Whatever gun you pick, have your fit to the gun checked by someone who knows what they're doing. When that's done, you should be able to mount the gun correctly with your eyes closed.

I'd also recommend 3-4 classes with a good insturctor...this starts you off the the proper stance and swing and aiming point and lead. Pachmayr (sp??) had/has a good video on the basics.

You'll definitely get different points of view.;)

-hanko

anotherone
09-17-2006, 8:56 PM
Probably 90% of us in here who hunt/shoot trap got a Remington 870 Express as our first shotgun. Right now at Big 5 there's a 30% rebate on the 870 express making the gun cost just $250. Even some of the best hunters out there use 870s, it's a classic design and you can't go wrong with it if you're on a budget. About 3 weeks ago I saw a 12 year old score a 22/25 with an 870 express 20 guage :eek: !!!

Personally I use a Benelli SuperNova 12 guage pump with 26 inch barrel (I choke off to 28 inches for trap) and Advantage Max4 HD camo. I like it so much that I may add the cantelever rifled barrel for stalking pigs. At almost $500 it's fairly pricey for a pump, but it's worth it... it even shoots 3.5 inch loads!

6172crew
09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Remington 870 Wingmaster! You can ad a Police tube for cheap if you plan on using it as a room broom later.:cool:

Bryan Whited
09-19-2006, 5:42 AM
Interesting question.
Start looking into a competition over/under and they start in the $2,000 to $3,000 range.
You should see the prices of the high end stuff!
An auto can be just as good and a bit less expensive.
The standard auto Skeet gun for high volume shooters is the Beretta 391.
A nice 1100 or 11-87 will get you started at less of a price.
A pump can be used but is at a slight disadvantage for the doubles.
Just in case you are interested I do have an 11-87 for sale.
"Remington 11-87 Premier, 28 inch barrel. LC. Vent rib. Enhanced Receiver Engraving. Almost brand new! Please PM me for details.

Thanks,

Vulcan20mm

wildcard
09-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Give the Browning BPS a look too.