View Full Version : Where to hunt Santa Maria/Lompoc

09-13-2006, 6:47 PM
Where is the closest place to hunt around Santa Maria/Lompoc California? I would like to bird hunt, dove, turkey but dont know where to go? Anyone??

Thanks! Bob

09-13-2006, 8:35 PM
I used to live in Orcutt. Los Padres forest always held quail and small deer. Best place for pigs is Camp Roberts. Its just north of Paso Robles and also hold good amount of deer and quail. Just north west of Camp Roberts is Fort Hunter Ligget and it has all the game Camp Roberts has it is just a little more regulated and that makes it harder to hunt.

09-13-2006, 11:10 PM
A guy I work with used to hunt BLM/National Forest on Hwy 166 east of Santa Maria. I don't know where it is, but they sell National Forest maps at the ranger station just off of Donovan road in SM.

09-14-2006, 6:48 AM
The best place is to find a friend who is active duty military or retired and hunt Vandenburg Air Force Base. Alternatively the BLM and Los Padre National Forest land is east of there. The BLM land off of Hwy 166 is also a pretty good drive but there's a lot of land up there. Go north through santa Maria and take 166 east toward Bakersfield be prepared for a 100 mile drive though. There are a lot of private ranches there also but you have to know someone.