PDA

View Full Version : Oregon SB 659

jl123
02-12-2011, 1:51 PM
Did a search and didn't see anything on it. Pretty bad.

* Prohibits manufacturing, selling or rebuilding firearm without chamber load indicator.
* Prohibits manufacturing, selling or rebuilding semiautomatic pistol without magazine disconnect mechanism.
* Prohibits removing or disabling chamber load indicator or magazine disconnect mechanism.
* Punishes violation by maximum of one year’s imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both. Punishes sub-sequent violations by maximum of five years’ imprisonment, $125,000 fine, or both.
* Becomes operative January 1, 2013.

More Here:
http://www.ammoland.com/2011/02/09/oregon-bill-would-outlaw-all-new-revolvers/

NightOwl
02-12-2011, 1:53 PM
I can't see that passing. It would outlaw the sales of 99% of guns ever produced.

Absurd crap that politicians put up to say they tried, or whatever, imo.

Window_Seat
02-12-2011, 1:59 PM
I could see it passing, so :gura: might want to take notice.

Erik.

meaty-btz
02-12-2011, 2:00 PM
Too many californians moved to Oregon it looks like.. the liberals crap in the pool then get out and go somewhere else to avoid the stink and just repeat their issues.

jamesob
02-12-2011, 3:30 PM
oregon, believe it or not is a democrat state.

Gray Peterson
02-12-2011, 3:33 PM
This will never pass the Legislature. We're making calls, being vigilant, but Oregon is not California.

Nor-Cal
02-12-2011, 7:10 PM
Sounds like oregon is trying to be like its neighbor CA,

dustoff31
02-12-2011, 7:35 PM
It would outlaw the sales of 99% of guns ever produced.

I think that is exactly what they have in mind.

meaty-btz
02-12-2011, 7:39 PM
whomever in the Legislature sponsored this bill should be removed at your next election Oregonians.

Milsurp Collector
02-12-2011, 9:54 PM
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/50042-new-bill-introduced-you-arent-going-believe-one.html

vintagearms
02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
http://gov.oregonlive.com/legislators/Suzanne-Bonamici/

Here is the author of the bill. and her email sen.suzannebonamici@state.or.us

meaty-btz
02-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Well, she is a piece of work. And here I thought Forest Park was beautiful.... yeeecccchhhhh.

Portland Metro Area, trying like hell to be like cali.

cdtx2001
02-13-2011, 7:33 AM
Would this also ban PPTs of older guns?

Milsurp Collector
02-13-2011, 7:42 AM
Would this also ban PPTs of older guns?

The way I read it, yes.

SECTION 1.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture or sell:
(a) A firearm, unless the firearm is equipped with a chamber load indicator.
(b) A semiautomatic pistol, unless the semiautomatic pistol is equipped with a magazine
disconnect mechanism.

SECTION 2.
(1) Section 1 of this 2011 Act becomes operative on January 1, 2013.
(2) Section 1 of this 2011 Act applies to firearms manufactured, sold or rebuilt on or after
January 1, 2013.

The law can be interpreted to outlaw not just the manufacture but the selling of any firearm without a loaded chamber indicator, or selling any semiautomatic pistol without both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect mechanism. It wouldn't matter when the firearm was manufactured, you could not sell (or have sold to you) any firearm lacking the required features after 1/1/2013.

Most rifles, shotguns, and revolvers that I know of don't have a loaded chamber indicator. If they don't, they couldn't be sold by anyone in Oregon - dealer or private party - after 1/1/2013 if this law passes. It would make it illegal to sell the vast majority of past and current firearms in Oregon.

California doesn't have a monopoly on idiot legislators who draft poorly written laws.

the big ravioli
02-13-2011, 7:49 AM
Well if those so called California's moved up there they aren't from California.. They moved from another state first, crapped and moved on to mine then yours. Good bye we don't want them anyway. So if your not happy join the club.....

Too many californians moved to Oregon it looks like.. the liberals crap in the pool then get out and go somewhere else to avoid the stink and just repeat their issues.

cdtx2001
02-13-2011, 8:17 AM
The way I read it, yes.

The law can be interpreted to outlaw not just the manufacture but the selling of any firearm without a loaded chamber indicator, or selling any semiautomatic pistol without both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect mechanism. It wouldn't matter when the firearm was manufactured, you could not sell (or have sold to you) any firearm lacking the required features after 1/1/2013.

Most rifles, shotguns, and revolvers that I know of don't have a loaded chamber indicator. If they don't, they couldn't be sold by anyone in Oregon - dealer or private party - after 1/1/2013 if this law passes. It would make it illegal to sell the vast majority of past and current firearms in Oregon.

California doesn't have a monopoly on idiot legislators who draft poorly written laws.

And I thought OR was a free state. Hope it doesn't pass and I also hope that no idiot in our legislature gets the bright idea to try and pass this here.

Of course with the idiot lawmakers here, if they did try and pass this, they would also add in the word possession.

MasterYong
02-13-2011, 7:42 PM
OR has steadily been getting worse for decades. My moms side of the fam is in OR so I've watched it happening little by little for a while now. Portland is a libtard hellhole, and the bigger it gets the more the voters there outweigh the other 99% of the state (by landmass of course). Sound familiar? Same thing happened in CA. Major metros are death for freedoms, what with all the idiotic ganbangers and others scaring the sheep that live there into willingly surrendering their liberty.

CalNRA
02-13-2011, 7:46 PM
OR has steadily been getting worse for decades. My moms side of the fam is in OR so I've watched it happening little by little for a while now. Portland is a libtard hellhole, and the bigger it gets the more the voters there outweigh the other 99% of the state (by landmass of course). Sound familiar? Same thing happened in CA. Major metros are death for freedoms, what with all the idiotic ganbangers and others scaring the sheep that live there into willingly surrendering their liberty.

that can't be:

We liberals don't have to ally ourselves with any one political leader, we are on the side of freedom.

See, freedom.

N6ATF
02-14-2011, 12:38 AM

Inverse of Heinlein's Razor (can only apply to politicians, who wouldn't be in office if they weren't intelligent enough to act dumb and then get away with EVERYTHING):
"Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice."

tonelar
02-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Portlandia... say it ain't so.

Milsurp Collector
02-14-2011, 1:13 PM
I emailed all of the members of the committee handling this bill, including my State Senator Larry George (R), who is vice-chairman of the committee. I received a response from his office 4 minutes after I sent my email:

We are aware of this bill, and I know Senator George will vote “no” on this bill if he gets a chance. I do think the bill is not likely to go anywhere, as most of the Legislature are gun-owners (most of whom own firearms that wouldn’t be in compliance).

Unfortunately, each session, there are tons of really terrible bills introduced, and this is one of them

Thanks for the comments!

--TIM

Tim Trickey

Chief of Staff

Wherryj
02-14-2011, 5:24 PM
The way I read it, yes.

It also prohibits "rebuilding", but I didn't see a definition as to what constitutes a "rebuild". If this were CA, I'd venture as guess that removing lead and fouling from the barrel would be one definition, but would a barrel or firing pin replacement constitute a rebuild? What amount of rebuild would require a retrofit for the loaded chamber indicator?

Wherryj
02-14-2011, 5:25 PM
I emailed all of the members of the committee handling this bill, including my State Senator Larry George (R), who is vice-chairman of the committee. I received a response from his office 4 minutes after I sent my email:

Senator George's Chief of Staff didn't exactly mince words on that reply.

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2011, 7:35 PM
Bills like this really show just how little these damnfools really know about guns.
If you accept milsurps reading of the law, which I do, it would make it impossible to buy or sell just about every rifle pistol or shotgun on the market. I dont own any guns with a "loaded chamber indicator" do any rifles even come with that feature?
Unless you think this dingbat is really trying to ban the sale of all but a few guns, this one is so off the wall, I am gonna go with heinlein on this one, stupidity for sure...

N6ATF
02-14-2011, 9:05 PM
Victim disarmers are getting desperate. Usually it would be an incremental approach. But since the civil gun rights steamroller is running, they don't have much choice but to throw crapbomb after crapbomb and force us to spend all our time and money fighting on their terms defensively instead of our offense. The Inverse of Heinlein's Razor is intact.

SanPedroShooter
02-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I disagree, I think this dumb **** just read an article about California's "not unsafe guns roster" and thought it would be a good idea. If she has ever fired or even held a pistol I'll eat my hat...

I like how the swear filter caught the c-word... Do have to program in each word you want filtered out? I bet thats a fun job, lol...

N6ATF
02-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Many victim disarmers (criminals) have guns - they keep getting revealed when their subordinate criminals screw up and bite the hands that feed them. They just don't want law-abiding people to have them. Safer to victimize them that way. Plus, if you're a politician, laws don't apply to you.

InGrAM
02-15-2011, 12:32 AM

This is classic. Good one, lmao

jl123
02-15-2011, 3:51 PM
I disagree, I think this dumb **** just read an article about California's "not unsafe guns roster" and thought it would be a good idea. If she has ever fired or even held a pistol I'll eat my hat...

I like how the swear filter caught the c-word... Do have to program in each word you want filtered out? I bet thats a fun job, lol...

he forum software probably came with a filter built in that can be added to.

aileron
02-15-2011, 5:17 PM
oregon, believe it or not is a democrat state.

The people that grew up their cannot stand the invasion either.

scarville
02-16-2011, 6:05 AM
Don't assume she is an idiot. To me this looks like a carefully crafted attempt at an end run around the Second Amendment.

wazdat
02-16-2011, 2:42 PM
...I like how the swear filter caught the c-word... Do have to program in each word you want filtered out? I bet thats a fun job, lol...

You mean the four letter word for woman that ends in U-N-T?

(Aunt?) :rofl2:

Milsurp Collector
02-16-2011, 4:57 PM
I sure hope this is true about the Oregon Legislature:

...most of the Legislature are gun-owners...